QFG2 News & Updates: Version 2.0 Released on PC and Mac!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

Re: ** COURSE 3 IN SESSION : AGDI REDESIGN/QFG2 LAUNCH thread **

#351 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:03 am

放宽

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#352 Post by kosch » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:04 am

Eriq, man i know how you feel. Everyone blames the web designer ~_~. I don't see why some people on this forum are ungrateful that AGDI decided to get the best for their website. Just know that most of us support you 100% :)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#353 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:05 am

Sorry... too fun not to pass up. Apparently Erpy is becoming very popular. He's up 118%!! This is from IMDB!
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Nobara
Peasant Status

#354 Post by Nobara » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:11 am

eriqchang wrote:You have absolutely no idea what we're doing behind the scenes. Or how long fine design takes. The sites, the branding, everything that's magically being pulled out of my asian ass has a meaning... now and for the future. Shame on you. Bite your tongue.
Dude. Word. As one of the many who has been waiting 5+ years for this, I have to say I appreciate all the website updates and the so-called hype. It's been awhile since I got to psychotically refresh a webpage five times a day for a few weeks. It's fun! Also it's giving me time to obsessive-compulsively play through QfG1VGA three times to get a stat-maxed character in every class ready to import. ^__^

Keep on keeping on, AGDI dudepals. You're all awesome!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#355 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:17 am

The legal mumbo jumbo is boiler plate stuff they usually use and reuse. Every now and then their in-house counsel sees something different in another companies boiler plate and adopts it for himself. Rarely, now a days, does a case come by and shake things up.
Even if that is true, it doesn't mean that we don't have to type something up and submit it to Vivendi and then wait for a response. Dealing with large corporations tends to take time when you are relatively low on their list of priorities.

whoooooopi
Peasant Status

#356 Post by whoooooopi » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:49 am

Longtime Lurker here.

The Countdown and courses are making this a truly memorable and enjoyable experience. Watching the old, familiar site burn up and get an astounding face-lift has been - in a word - magic. There's a sense of celebration surrounding this release that I haven't experienced in a long time. Part of it has to do with my own nostalgia for the title, but a great deal of it has to do with the site updates, which have reminded me that this isn't just about a game re-release. This is also about a community of people who share a genuine affection for a genre of gaming. To those behind the scenes: Your talent, commitment and patience are admired. My genuine gratitude.

Thank you for bringing this to life, despite all the headaches. And a special thanks for bringing it to us in style. If I could give you two gifts, one would be a medal. The other would be a bouncer to shield you from the impatient gits who have the audacity to criticize you for your hard work and diligence.

natethomas
Peasant Status

#357 Post by natethomas » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:53 am

That's a good call. If people like me are any indication, a heck of a lot of long time workers are going to be coming out of the woodwork for the next several weeks. At one point I thought maybe I was the only lurker, but I'm going to guess that I was wrong.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#358 Post by Gronagor » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:36 am

darkgamorck wrote:That's a design decision. There really is no reason that pretty much everything on the site needs to be an image. What annoys me is that what we have basically been told is that we are waiting on these site updates before the game can be released. The game is done. All they need to do is upload it to the mirrors and write a simple PHP script to rotate downloaders amongst the servers and keep track of how many downloads occurred.
Hmmm... you could always piss them off (as you're doing) and have them NOT release it. Or you can simply piss off.... I think I prefer the latter.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#359 Post by Alanor. » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:21 am

Gronagor wrote:
darkgamorck wrote:That's a design decision. There really is no reason that pretty much everything on the site needs to be an image. What annoys me is that what we have basically been told is that we are waiting on these site updates before the game can be released. The game is done. All they need to do is upload it to the mirrors and write a simple PHP script to rotate downloaders amongst the servers and keep track of how many downloads occurred.
Hmmm... you could always piss them off (as you're doing) and have them NOT release it. Or you can simply piss off.... I think I prefer the latter.
I guess for a game 8 years in the making, some fans may have a short patience now that it's so near and hence some strong views might be expressed now and then. Fixing a release date (if possible projecting right now) and posting it on the main site and forum, along with the courses might help avoid them. Unless I am mistaken and a official release date has already be posted somewhere here.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#360 Post by Tye » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:29 am

Indeed it would...for the most part, however, it would also ruin the surprise of it all. There's just a whole other level of excitement that comes with announcing a game release such as this one the very day of its arrival. We know the game is on its way, but we yearn for the moment that they tell us "Here you go fans, love us and kiss our heart shaped asses with pride."

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

#361 Post by darkgamorck » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:28 am

eriqchang wrote:There is, in fact, a lot of hard work going on here - not to mention the server nightmare I have had to deal with in order to house our new websites. My "design decision" has actually saved us quite a bit of time. If you'd like, I can create a stylesheet, cut the page up meticulously, and add another two days to each course posting. Or how about you come over and do it for me?
I don't want to get drawn into this debate with you. I'm sorry that my comments insulted you. However let's be perfectly clear. The posts made by members of the team have implied that this release is hinging on the completion of the website. For instance lets take this post by Erpy:
Erpy wrote:Yeah, getting it to the mirrors would probably only take a day. It's the process of getting the new site finished that's currently a major factor in determining when the game can be released.
So please. If you're annoyed that my post implies you are the bottleneck, that little tidbit of information is what was driving that impression. I apologize that this offended you. Now that updated information has been posted relating to a manual and perhaps other things, I guess there are a few other activities taking place in the background that a release is hinging upon.
eriqchang wrote:You have absolutely no idea what we're doing behind the scenes. Or how long fine design takes. The sites, the branding, everything that's magically being pulled out of my asian ass has a meaning... now and for the future.
And again let me reiterate my original point. If the people responsible for the project imply everything is waiting on the website, what am I going to believe? The people responsible have now mentioned a manual amongst other things that are currently being completed as well. As for my filler comments, I'm simply reffering to the fact that after 7 years of coming to this site one or twice a month to check on the progress of this project, now that we are so close, I personally just don't care about the rest of it. The website, the manual, the poster, the countdown, the promotion is all totally irrelevant from my perspective. All I want is the installer :)

However let's be clear. I bought a copy of Al Emmo Collector's Edition yesterday just so I could get a copy of your poster. Your artistic abilities are quite awesome and I look forward to having that poster hanging upon my wall.
Shame on you. Bite your tongue.
For the last time I apologize. It would seem the information we as a community were provided was misleading.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#362 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 am

I like ketchup on my burger.

It takes forever to get it out of the damn Heinz bottle, but man, it's worth the wait.

Eriq's a very even tempered duder - it takes a lot to shake his tree, man. I understand you meant no disrespect, but the fact is your statement caused some anger. It'll happen. Don't worry, man. The game will come, and you'll have fun, and this will be a memory.

And Eriq will continue to rock. And I will continue to roll.

Bt

RogerWanko
Royal Servant Status

#363 Post by RogerWanko » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:45 am

my flashblock plugin pwned your rickroll :p

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#364 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:50 am

The whole promotion has been planned out to increase awareness about the game, raise the publicity, and also show the professional side of the company which we'll be gearing future releases toward. Of course it's understandable that people want the installer, as that's the main reason why everyone's been hanging around here for so long. After all the GAME itself is what all this is revolves around.

However, as Sean mentioned, things are still in progress such as the finalizing the installer and disclaimers, and we haven't even started contacting mirrors yet. It's important to be aware that the PR campaign isn't holding back the game's release, it's doing the opposite; filling the time until the release with information and teasers. Let's face it, without the courses, we'd just have an empty forum and no new fans would be coming here. There would be no buzz. Don't worry -- everything's being done for a reason here and the timing is meticulously planned. The game will be ready for release before you know it.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#365 Post by Alanor. » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Tye wrote:Indeed it would...for the most part, however, it would also ruin the surprise of it all. There's just a whole other level of excitement that comes with announcing a game release such as this one the very day of its arrival. We know the game is on its way, but we yearn for the moment that they tell us "Here you go fans, love us and kiss our heart shaped asses with pride."
Personally I would advice not to get too excited. I don't really trust the words "Coming Soon" so much anymore. For eg. I like the Delta Force series by Novalogic & one of the games I was most awaiting for was Delta Force Angel Falls. By the start of january, Novalogic had put up a "Coming Soon" banner for this game on the front page of their site and the game was speculated to be out in a month or at the most two. But after a month I heard a comment that Novalogic had run into some major last minute problems and not to expect the game for atleast a year from now. And so happened, its almost mid august now, the "Coming Soon" banner is still there on their site and still no hint of a release yet. What if a similar thing happened to QFG 2 VGA. Personally I would be more assured to see "Coming This September" (or August etc.) instead of only "Coming Soon" statement on the main site.
Last edited by Alanor. on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#366 Post by Tye » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Even if it was September, that's still exciting to me. I've been waiting for this game for so long, and it's finally DONE! All that's left is the website, hosting it, and miscellaneous pr stuff. Seriously, I'd be satisfied with a December launch, but the way things are going, and from what we've been told, it's looking like August.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#367 Post by DrJones » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 pm

I know from first hand how tiresome is to do the marketing of a game, and how fast the public assimilates the info and demands more. The updates so far are cute and I'm just enjoying the moment.
So don't worry! I think the more you await a certain event, the more miserable you'll feel until it arrives. My suggestion is to calm down a bit and focus your mind in other things, like the upcoming drawing contest! :D

(miserably awaiting the new batman movie... still 5 days... :( )

frankts1
Peasant Status

#368 Post by frankts1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:58 pm

I know everyone is excited about the game, but I guess I don't really see why the level is so very high. Don't get me wrong, I'll play the game and I appreciate all the work that's been put into it, but the anxiety over the release date strikes me as a little much. It seems like everyone has their hopes up for a *NEW* game (I've even seen some posts thanking the good Lord for a NEW Sierra adventure), when in reality it appears the only thing new about this game is the graphics. Granted, the graphics seem to be impressive, but from all I've read it appears they've made an exact copy of the gameplay from QFG2. This does not appear to be another KQ2 guys, and I predict a lot of critisicm on this basis coupled with the fact that everyone's hopes appear to be WAY too high.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the eye candy.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#369 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:It's important to be aware that the PR campaign isn't holding back the game's release, it's doing the opposite; filling the time until the release with information and teasers.
It's kind of funny that for the last several years people have complained about the lack up updates. Now that there are updates every few days, people complain that they don't want updates. :\

oxygen1234
Peasant Status

#370 Post by oxygen1234 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:02 pm

navynuke04 wrote:
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:It's important to be aware that the PR campaign isn't holding back the game's release, it's doing the opposite; filling the time until the release with information and teasers.
It's kind of funny that for the last several years people have complained about the lack up updates. Now that there are updates every few days, people complain that they don't want updates. :\
You know you are making it big when the hating starts :p

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#371 Post by JonWW » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:11 pm

frankts1 wrote:I know everyone is excited about the game, but I guess I don't really see why the level is so very high. Don't get me wrong, I'll play the game and I appreciate all the work that's been put into it, but the anxiety over the release date strikes me as a little much. It seems like everyone has their hopes up for a *NEW* game (I've even seen some posts thanking the good Lord for a NEW Sierra adventure), when in reality it appears the only thing new about this game is the graphics. Granted, the graphics seem to be impressive, but from all I've read it appears they've made an exact copy of the gameplay from QFG2. This does not appear to be another KQ2 guys, and I predict a lot of critisicm on this basis coupled with the fact that everyone's hopes appear to be WAY too high.

Well don't forget that there will be some new easter eggs added, as well as Saurus repair shop that was cut from the original game. So this remake is like a director's cut in a way. ;)

keronian
Peasant Status

#372 Post by keronian » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:15 pm

I think we can safely say now that "Coming Soon" REALLY means soon. There was all kinds of talk over the years about the possibility of a release "hopefully this year", "maybe by Christmas" or whatever else has been said... Now, thanks to how open the development team has been with us, we know just how close this release finally is. The very fact that they're giving out posters with Al Emmo (ordered my copy on the 5th, expired certificate be damned) implies that we're just about there.

At this point, I'd say whatever the developers deem necessary to do before the actual release of the game is completely worthwhile. They've shown their INCREDIBLE devotion to creating a high quality product, with such attention to detail it boggles my mind. That they've chosen to augment this product with all the touches you would expect from a PAID product from a major games studio just makes the entire package that much more incredible. Mega-kudos, guys. I look forward to seeing what you've put together for us... (not just with QFG2, but with Al Emmo, as professional as you were with this fan-project, I'm now QUITE curious to see what you came up with on your own)

Sadly, I will have to wait longer than most of you to get my copy of QFG2, as I'm leaving home today to spend a few days in New York City, followed by two weeks in Uganda with a church mission trip. So, folks, enjoy your QFG2 and wish me luck on my own real-life adventure. (So, you want to be a Missionary...)

ender-01
Peasant Status

#373 Post by ender-01 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:40 pm

frankts1 wrote:I know everyone is excited about the game, but I guess I don't really see why the level is so very high. Don't get me wrong, I'll play the game and I appreciate all the work that's been put into it, but the anxiety over the release date strikes me as a little much. It seems like everyone has their hopes up for a *NEW* game (I've even seen some posts thanking the good Lord for a NEW Sierra adventure), when in reality it appears the only thing new about this game is the graphics. Granted, the graphics seem to be impressive, but from all I've read it appears they've made an exact copy of the gameplay from QFG2. This does not appear to be another KQ2 guys, and I predict a lot of critisicm on this basis coupled with the fact that everyone's hopes appear to be WAY too high.

How about the fact that you don't have to type everything anymore? That's worth it alone for some people (of course purists may prefer the typing, but with the VGA remake of QFG1, none of the others use it) :)

frankts1
Peasant Status

#374 Post by frankts1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:42 pm

What I have written, I have written.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#375 Post by Alanor. » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:05 pm

I am waiting for the game because I have never played QFG 2 before and it remains the only game in the series which I haven't played and liked so far. I have very less patience with text parser games and the only one I have completed till now is Tirlby's Notes.

Anyways I was actually going to take off my net connection this month but when I saw the new site, thought that QFG 2 VGA was going to be released, probably this august or early september and I might wait around for a little while and download mine one last highly awaited game. But now what to do.. :\