QFG2 News & Updates: Version 2.0 Released on PC and Mac!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

Re: ** COURSE 3 IN SESSION : AGDI REDESIGN/QFG2 LAUNCH thread **

#326 Post by darkgamorck » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 am

Presuming the server is running a Debian based Linux distribution or variant, I can guess what has happened. Your SSL certificate had to be re-requested and reinstalled recently due to a security hole that popped up in Debian's OpenSSL library implementation. I recently had to go through the entire process of doing that on my Ubuntu box for my SSL certificate because of this security hole. Perhaps the administrators tried to resolve the problem for you, but ended up issuing an older certificate rather than a current one.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#327 Post by Gronagor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:14 pm

True, but still nothing they could do about it. It's all in the hands of their provider.

haradan
Knight Status

#328 Post by haradan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:25 pm

Sandsai wrote:
FYI, as I recall there are a number of posters that own MORE THAN one copy of Al Emmo. Look at this way, it is $ 20 for a poster.
Well, if that's the case, they should be first on the list, don't you think? :p

Anyway, as I said, no big deal, I hope you sell a lot of Al Emmos these days. ;)

xarcos
Peasant Status

#329 Post by xarcos » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:53 pm

I see someone has pointed that problem out already. I tried to purchase the game a few days ago and it gave me that error... figured it would be resolved later. Still no luck. I want that poster!

Mordon
Peasant Status

#330 Post by Mordon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:03 am

Wow.

It's finally coming, the QFG2 remake. This is exciting. I've been waiting for this since it was first announced, years ago...What was it, 2001? 2002? I've been lurking on these forums on and off since then. Decided to register today since it's so close to release. Yes! :D

Has it been that long? I started following the QFG2 remake before I entered high school, and now I'm in college and gainfully employed... :eek

My introduction to the QFG series was with QFG3 back when it was new(I think I was 4 at the time :eek ). I later acquired the QFG anthology and QFG5 secondhand.

I salute the developers and the testers who have contributed years to this project. This is art, and art cannot be rushed if it is to be done rightly. As a longtime fan of Quest For Glory, I appreciate the effort.

This countdown event is fun! But I went to order the "Al Emmo Collector's Edition" for the poster and to support the cause... The store is down. The link from the flash page for alemmo.com gives a 404, and going to the store site directly says something about the store site not having been created yet. I suppose its related to fixing the expired certificate issue from earlier. I hope that goes well... I'd like to order ASAP.

Again, thank you to the devs and the testers and everyone else involved in this lengthy but worthwhile process. I am certain the final product is of a quality that makes it all worthwhile.

Asuwen
Peasant Status

#331 Post by Asuwen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:03 am

I'm gonna be so angry if this game comes out after the 20th because ive been waiting for so long... after the 20th i go to basic training and i wouldnt get to play it for at least 9 weeks if not longer

RogerWanko
Royal Servant Status

#332 Post by RogerWanko » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:57 am

Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering... ;)

RogerKorby
Peasant Status

#333 Post by RogerKorby » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 am

ok beer holiday is over we get another update now right ? :)

RogerWanko
Royal Servant Status

#334 Post by RogerWanko » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:50 am

someone needs to check up on eriq...i think he may have worked himself to death on the fourth update....i'm pretty sure he will be found on the floor with his drawing pen clenched in his cold, dead fingers :p

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

#335 Post by darkgamorck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 am

I guess we can rule out a reason this week then. Too bad.

RogerWanko
Royal Servant Status

#336 Post by RogerWanko » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:03 pm

darkgamorck wrote:I guess we can rule out a reason this week then. Too bad.
nice quote for eriq's tombstone? :rollin

calebb
Peasant Status

#337 Post by calebb » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:58 pm

Death by camera-taped-to-forehead. :(

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#338 Post by Tye » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:34 pm

RogerWanko wrote:someone needs to check up on eriq...i think he may have worked himself to death on the fourth update....i'm pretty sure he will be found on the floor with his drawing pen clenched in his cold, dead fingers :p
I talk to him most nights, so maybe I can ease your curious mind by telling you that he's working hard to bring you all the next update.
The updates themselves listed as 1-6 are not meant to be interpreted as daily updates. The release date of the game itself can be expected soon though.
Give Eriq some time, he's got alot on his plate, and when you look that good, you don't want to eat it all at once!

kosch
Royal Servant Status

#339 Post by kosch » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:47 pm

The effort it would take to make this website in such a short time is immense. The pages are very graphics intensive and Eriq's attention to detail is really sharp. I'm sure he wants this page to be perfect as to not disappoint fans.

FrostFlameFlare
Peasant Status

#340 Post by FrostFlameFlare » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Like a lot of others, I'm a long time lurker. I think I have been coming here a few months before KQ2VGA was released. Anyway, just would like to say that you guys are awesome and I have been trying to kill the time before release by playing all the Quests for Glory over and over again. The site looks fantastic and I look forward to release. Thanks again.

darkgamorck
Peasant Status

#341 Post by darkgamorck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:43 pm

kosch wrote:The effort it would take to make this website in such a short time is immense. The pages are very graphics intensive and Eriq's attention to detail is really sharp. I'm sure he wants this page to be perfect as to not disappoint fans.
That's a design decision. There really is no reason that pretty much everything on the site needs to be an image. What annoys me is that what we have basically been told is that we are waiting on these site updates before the game can be released. The game is done. All they need to do is upload it to the mirrors and write a simple PHP script to rotate downloaders amongst the servers and keep track of how many downloads occurred.

Instead here we are waiting on a web/graphics designer for some filler when all we want is the meat :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#342 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:50 pm

And why aren't they allowed to do that? We've waited this long. I like the idea of there being some hype generated rather than just releasing it. Gives it more meaning. Like we didn't wait all this time for just a released game. I want the hype!

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#343 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:07 pm

I am all for hype to but he does have a point

linkin182
Peasant Status

#344 Post by linkin182 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 pm

Agreed. I love what Eriqs doing but it does seem to take an aweful long time for a countdown.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#345 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:22 pm

The courses are necessarily meant to be a countdown to release of the game. Although all the programming stuff is done, there are still things going on behind the scenes.

The documentation that accompanies the game has to be written and proof read. The game manual has to be done. All the legal disclaimers in the manual, readme.txt, and installer have to be run by Vivendi. The completed game has to be compiled into an installer along with all the documentation. The installer has to be checked to ensure it works on several different systems. The installer then needs to go to all the mirrors.

Lots of stuff is still going on behind the scenes. Several of those items I listed are complete, but not all of them. The games getting close to release though. Just a bit more patience!

linkin182
Peasant Status

#346 Post by linkin182 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:28 pm

All we needed was to hear it, now on with the wait! ;)

natethomas
Peasant Status

#347 Post by natethomas » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:28 am

Plus, an added benefit of waiting to distribute is getting a few of us poor, unfortunate souls who hadn't yet done so to buy Al Emmo. I'd probably buy a toilet brush, right now, if it were in some way connected to QFG2. Also a nice piece of real estate on the moon.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#348 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:21 am

And honestly, I'm sure AGDI plans to restrict the downloads until the Coles get the very first official one, right? :)

Sandsai
Peasant Status

#349 Post by Sandsai » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:42 am

navynuke04 wrote:The courses are necessarily meant to be a countdown to release of the game. Although all the programming stuff is done, there are still things going on behind the scenes.

The documentation that accompanies the game has to be written and proof read. The game manual has to be done. All the legal disclaimers in the manual, readme.txt, and installer have to be run by Vivendi. The completed game has to be compiled into an installer along with all the documentation. The installer has to be checked to ensure it works on several different systems. The installer then needs to go to all the mirrors.

Lots of stuff is still going on behind the scenes. Several of those items I listed are complete, but not all of them. The games getting close to release though. Just a bit more patience!
The legal mumbo jumbo is boiler plate stuff they usually use and reuse. Every now and then their in-house counsel sees something different in another companies boiler plate and adopts it for himself. Rarely, now a days, does a case come by and shake things up. As far as the manual is concerned, I am pretty excited to hear that. AGD delivers the whole package, nice. Worth the wait IMO.

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#350 Post by eriqchang » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:49 am

darkgamorck wrote:That's a design decision. There really is no reason that pretty much everything on the site needs to be an image. What annoys me is that what we have basically been told is that we are waiting on these site updates before the game can be released. The game is done. All they need to do is upload it to the mirrors and write a simple PHP script to rotate downloaders amongst the servers and keep track of how many downloads occurred.

Instead here we are waiting on a web/graphics designer for some filler when all we want is the meat :)
Filler? I was going to ignore your insensitive post but after sitting here for nearly four weeks busting my ass...

You just seem to have all the answers, don't you? ;)

There is, in fact, a lot of hard work going on here - not to mention the server nightmare I have had to deal with in order to house our new websites. My "design decision" has actually saved us quite a bit of time. If you'd like, I can create a stylesheet, cut the page up meticulously, and add another two days to each course posting. Or how about you come over and do it for me?

You have absolutely no idea what we're doing behind the scenes. Or how long fine design takes. The sites, the branding, everything that's magically being pulled out of my asian ass has a meaning... now and for the future.

Shame on you. Bite your tongue.
- eriq