HELP: Looking for Brigand in City! (SPOILER)

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

HELP: Looking for Brigand in City! (SPOILER)

#1 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:54 pm

So far, I found four cryptic hints:
"Those who turn on the dark starring path face peril"

"Those who wish to follow the way of the sword should start at the very beginning or face their undoing"

"Those who walk the fiery path will not be unscathed"

and something about a dinar int he fountain

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

Re: HELP: Looking for Brigand in City!

#2 Post by Morningstar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:01 pm

well these seem to be allusions to street names

"Those who turn on the dark starring path face peril"
Tarik of Stars = Street of Stars

"Those who wish to follow the way of the sword should start at the very beginning or face their undoing"
Saif Darb = Sword Avenue

"Those who walk the fiery path will not be unscathed"
Harik Darb = Fire Avenue

and something about a dinar int he fountain
Naufara Darb = Fountain Avenue meets up with Dinar Darb

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:10 pm

I encountered the brigand! But it was off Rani and Sharki!

It seems those clues might just be gibberish.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Brigand in the city? I'd love to know more about this Easter Egg!

soule
Peasant Status

#5 Post by soule » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Me too. How does it work?

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Morningstar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Found on Marrib Darb

"Those who dare to walk the firey road will not return unscathed."
After reading this, I went into Harik Darb, to the end, then returned - when you reached the junction with Junub Tarik I got mobbed.

"Those who wish to follow the way of the sword should start at the very beginning or face their undoing."
After reading this, I went onto Saif Darb, not from the plaza, but from Askeri Darb - I got attacked.

"Misfortune will arise with the dinar hits the fountain."
After reading this I went to the corner of Naufara Darb, where it is bit Dinar Tarik - I was set up! This time the brigand had zap!!

"Those who turn onto the dark starry path will face great peril"
After reading this, I waited until dark and turned onto Tarik of Stars from Sharki Darb, and there he met me again to die by my hands.

He left me some light reading... I don't know if this is the end of the quest.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:24 pm

The thing the Brigand leaves behind is a Warrior's Diary, which the narrator says the Hero will use to record his combat experience. My guess is it's a combat-boosting item (and thus the hidden item Erpy mentioned in another thread).

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd add more on how the Warrior Diary works: it's a comprehensive dossier of all the vital statistics of every monster (damage dealt in attacks, types of attacks, number you've killed, etc), plus the Hero's stats. What's even cooler is that when you get it, all the monsters you've previously fought are added into it automatically.

ChaosBurnFlame
Royal Servant Status

Re: HELP: Looking for Brigand in City! (SPOILER)

#9 Post by ChaosBurnFlame » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:01 pm

Sidequest complete! Man that was fun!

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#10 Post by MagusRogue » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:30 am

how do you start on this quest??

Goilveig
Knight Status

#11 Post by Goilveig » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:36 am

MagusRogue wrote:how do you start on this quest??
Walk through alleys and look for graffiti. They'll lead you to 4 different places based on the arabic names of the streets (there's a thread on these forums about the translations of all the names).

Each graffiti randomly gives one of the 4 places, as long as you haven't fought the brigand there yet. So technically you can just go and read the same graffiti over and over, though you can also just wander and find new ones.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#12 Post by MagusRogue » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:01 am

do you only find him at night? and is it random when he shows? and does he only show at the last graffetti you read?

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by ATMachine » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:11 am

He only shows up at the street named in the last graffito you've read, yes.

And three of his appearances can happen at any time, but one (the one at Tarik of Stars) only occurs at night.

However, if you've read the graffito and the time is right, he will always show up - provided you approach from the right direction.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#14 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:16 am

The original idea behind this was to have combat encounters with Brigands or Thieves in the alleys of Raseir, similar to monster encounters in the desert. This was intended to show that Raseir isn't safe inside the city walls either.

But the idea was later adapted to become this 'less intrusive' side-quest in Shapeir's alleys instead with a cooler reward.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by GuJiaXian » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:21 am

Okay, I had no problems with the first three steps at all. The fourth, however...grumble. I've tried entering the intersection of Sharki Darb and the Tarik of Stars from every possible direction, but nothing happens. It's night...about midnight on day 5. Am I missing something? Do have to have read the associated graffiti to trigger the encounter?

[Edit]
Okay, the clarifications in the above posts were added after I'd opened this thread; I've got things figured out now. Let me agree with the above sentiments: cool miniquest!
Last edited by GuJiaXian on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#16 Post by MagusRogue » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:23 am

im actually having a hard time with Saif Darb. I went in after reading it, and whether i go Left or Right from askeri darb, he doesn't show up, day or night.... what am i doing wrong?

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by ATMachine » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:28 am

You have to have read the graffiti summoning you to a particular street before he'll show up there. If you've read more than one of the graffiti, he'll appear at the street named in the most recent one you've read. However, he will only show up at each of the four intersections once.

Also, he only shows up at the intersections named above when you walk in from a certain viewpoint, the one with the crossroad shaped like a T .

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#18 Post by MagusRogue » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:29 am

ok i finally got him to show up at saif darb. now I just need to do tarik of stars, and I should be golden and have the diary!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#19 Post by Erpy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:46 am

Actually, the original idea was to have brigands in Shapeir. Lori and Corey initially played with the thought of adding random encounters in the city and I converted the brigand fight into a battle in the alleyways. However, we eventually decided (as LateBtl pointed out) that Shapeir was meant to be a safe haven, rather than a place where you could easily get assaulted, so the idea of random enemies was dropped. I eventually decided to make some use of the code by turning it into a hidden sidequest. Since the alleyway brigand was going to be unique, I initially planned to have the four encounters reflect the elements in some way with the fire brigand tossing flame darts, the air brigand insanely fast, the earth brigand using Rocky's shockwave attack and the water brigand healing himself. In the end, I decided against it and instead make the brigand incarnations mimic the 3 character classes, with the final encounter being a hybrid. I initially planned this quest to be fighter-only, but figured people might complain about it later, so that criterium was removed. The Warrior's Diary still favors the fighter, since he's the only class who can get every enemy and every move recorded.

AlastorBosch
Peasant Status

#20 Post by AlastorBosch » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:46 am

I wonder if there's a quirk with the diary? Or maybe I've missed a step. I maxed my stats, then got the book, but it doesn't show Ego's skillsets, moves or anything, though Uhura and Rakeesh have both spoken with me about said moves. After beating Issur at wrestling for the bellows, that's the only thing on the other page. Is that how it should be? If so, what else can go there?

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by Crowley9 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 pm

It shows your win-lose stats for various minigames. The two magic games go in there, and the tightrope walking as well, I think.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:27 pm

The hero's combat moves aren't included, just his stats and some general tallies.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by Asrai » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 pm

Very cool side quest Erpy! I just wish I had figured it out before my fighter was maxed out, all I really noticed was that one brigand tried to cast a spell at me, and the last one took a bit longer to kill. Next time I'll know to look for the differences in their fighting style. :)

I managed to figure it out almost entirely on my own. The subject line of someone's post, the Coles' blog, and LateBlt let me know that there was a brigand in the city, and Morningstar's post with the translation of all of the street names was all it took to put two and two together.

I need to just quit reading anything about this game until I've finished it with all three classes, but I just can't seem to help myself scanning the forums anyway. Too many spoilers great and small even in the subject lines. I know about the major additions to the thief and wizard games, and I haven't even played them yet, and I've been trying to avoid any spoilers I can. :\ Ah well... I'm sure there are some things I haven't accidentally read about yet.

MARIANA
Peasant Status

#24 Post by MARIANA » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:39 am

I think I found the first clue:

"The Doom from the East has passed and is now bewteen here and infinity"

It was on Khanjar Tarik... I havent figured out what streets they are. If anyone knows... :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:12 am

That one isn't a reference to any street. Either you already defeated the brigand (I suppose not) or you're playing in the simple alleyway system. The alleyway brigand only appears in the classic system.