Weird message

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Weird message

#1 Post by DrJones » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 am

I've tried to give my Thief ID to a Shapier Guard, and he said I stole it from his house!!!

What was he doing with my Thief ID? :lol

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Weird message

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:54 am

"Oops! You tried something we didn't think of."

That's certainly a bug. Thanks for the report.

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 am

DrJones wrote:I've tried to give my Thief ID to a Shapier Guard, and he said I stole it from his house!!!

What was he doing with my Thief ID? :lol
I tried to give a Shapier Guard the bellows and he said the same thing....

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:09 am

Fudge. Yeah, that message was only meant to appear if you'd show him the emerald bowl, silver dagger or silver tea service. Looks a check wasn't performed right. At least it should only appear if it's Jabbar you're talking to.

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:17 am

Erpy wrote:Fudge. Yeah, that message was only meant to appear if you'd show him the emerald bowl, silver dagger or silver tea service. Looks a check wasn't performed right. At least it should only appear if it's Jabbar you're talking to.

Is Jabbar the guy that walks around the plazas at night? because whoever is the guard walking by the weapon shop at night.. thats who it happened with...

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:19 am

The guards who wander the plazas are random, but only Jabbar is scripted to say those lines, since he is the guard who's house you break into for the first thief job and thus steal the items from.

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:21 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:The guards who wander the plazas are random, but only Jabbar is scripted to say those lines, since he is the guard who's house you break into for the first thief job and thus steal the items from.
Do you see Jabbar anywhere else other than his house? When would you be able to show him your items? I only remember seeing him in his house in the original...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:24 am

Jabbar is randomly patrolling the plaza's before midnight.

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:27 am

Erpy wrote:Jabbar is randomly patrolling the plaza's before midnight.

oh ok, I thought you meant only the other guards are patrolling the plazas.... I thought he did too, yea, I bumped into him right after i stole the bellows... I accidentally clicked the bellows on him and I died because he said he recognized that item from his house...

are you guys going to try and fix the bugs and re-release it or since their doesn't seem to be that many, just leave them in?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 am

That depends on how many bugs are found. This is somewhat embarrassing, but rare. Other bugs might be more pressing.

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:34 am

Erpy wrote:That depends on how many bugs are found. This is somewhat embarrassing, but rare. Other bugs might be more pressing.

So Erpy... I know you don't like me much, but could you please respond to my blue frog post? its in this forum... I won't keep bugging you if you don't respond... so thanks or sorry to bother you...

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#12 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:35 am

Like I've mentioned before, there's bound to be other minor bugs of this nature scattered throughout the game. For a game as complex as this remake, it would be near-impossible to find and fix them all from the relatively small beta testing phase this game had.

The general public will play the game much more thoroughly and weed-out most of the remaining obscure bugs if others exist. So we won't release a new version right away. We'll give ample time for any similar minor bugs to be found first and once it looks like people have scoured the game thoroughly enough and no more minor bugs are being found, we'll consider a new release. But that wouldn't be for many months at the very least.

The only unfortunate thing about this one is that it results in dying, which is an annoying side effect if stumbled upon accidentally.

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:38 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Like I've mentioned before, there's bound to be other minor bugs of this nature scattered throughout the game. For a game as complex as this remake, it would be near-impossible to find and fix them all from the relatively small beta testing phase this game had.

The general public will play the game much more thoroughly and weed-out most of the remaining obscure bugs if others exist. So we won't release a new version right away. We'll give ample time for any similar minor bugs to be found first and once it looks like people have scoured the game thoroughly enough and no more minor bugs are being found, we'll consider a new release. But that wouldn't be for many months at the very least.

The only unfortunate thing about this one is that it results in dying, which is an annoying side effect if stumbled upon accidentally.
yea even then it wasn't too big of a deal, I saved pretty close to it, so it wasn't a big deal... I try all kinds of things when playing adventure games, its kinda fun looking for bugs or things that make the game act strange, especially in a remake, and I haven't found any others so far, so that sounds like a great plan...

Also do you guys have automatic saves in the game? I kinda liked that feature... If not, Is it hard to program in AGS? or did you just not want it in or think of it?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am

No, there are no auto-saves. People will have to just rely on their common sense. This one was a bug, but other than that there aren't supposed to be any major sudden deaths.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by ATMachine » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 am

I got the death-by-guard bug as a Thief when I accidentally clicked the magic map on a guard standing next to me instead of on myself. I guess Alichica is secretly a fencer of hot goods!

CoredesatChikai
Peasant Status

#16 Post by CoredesatChikai » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:44 am

Just tested this myself, indeed, giving any item to Jabbar causes him to kill you - even the x-ray glasses and your own wallet! So, I stole the x-ray glasses from Jabbar, eh? What was he using them for? :P

I also tested this a little more thoroughly - start a new game, and create a fighter or mage character. Immediately sleep until evening, and go out into the Gate Plaza (get the inn key from Shameen). Wait for Jabbar to show up and give him the key. He'll say it was stolen from his house last night (kind of hard when it's Day 1), and kill you. So this affects all classes at any point in the game where you could encounter Jabbar, even if you never broke into his house.

AtypicalChuck
Peasant Status

#17 Post by AtypicalChuck » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:43 am

Jabbar is a freaking jerk, man! D: