Battles

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blindfold
Peasant Status

Battles

#1 Post by Blindfold » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 am

Anyone having trouble with the battles? I imported a hybrid fighter character and seem to die evertime from any fight in the desert. Basically I can't do much damage to the enemy (no matter what it is) and they do average damage to me, resulting in them eventually killing me as I do little damage to them.
Hybrid Fighter is imported with 100 points in every skill but Climbing from Qfg1 :/

hypn
Royal Servant Status

Re: Battles

#2 Post by hypn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:08 am

I battled (excuse the pun) a lot to win any fights, it really just takes practice. With none of my stats over 100 (new character) I've been able to kill everything, though for the Terrorsaur I had to run away (ESC key) and take some health pills then finish it off :P

I found using "7" followed immediately by "9" to be the most effective way of fighting (though it uses up stamina faster).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:15 am

There's a couple of things you can do:

- Set the arcade difficulty lower. This'll cause the enemies to have less hitpoints and use only basic attacks.
- Practice a lot. The key to win with fighters is to get your stats up to the point where you start getting special sword techniques. Until then, you won't be fighting efficiently.
- Remember that unlike QFG1, you start this game with plenty of money, meaning you can buy pills. Don't be afraid to run away, take a pill and re-engage if things get too tough.
- Set the co-pilot to 100% defense so it can help out evading attacks.
- Don't engage the more difficult monsters at the very start of the game. Skills at 100 isn't that powerful.

Yes, enemies take longer to kill (as does the hero), but you'll get a lot stronger as the game progresses. Just have patience. The old EGA strategy of attack-attack-attack doesn't work anymore. Focus on learning how to avoid getting killed.

EDIT: Hypn, the 7-9 combo isn't accessible until your weapon use is at a certain level. (slightly over 100)

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by hypn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 am

Erpy wrote:There's a couple of things you can do:
EDIT: Hypn, the 7-9 combo isn't accessible until your weapon use is at a certain level. (slightly over 100)
Sorry, Erpy's right... my "Weapon Use" is over 100

Blindfold
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Blindfold » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:23 am

Ya I just won a battle :)
Fighting against a brigand I have a chance; against a scorpian I am pretty much slaughtered. The combat system is more complexed than I assumed it would be hehe (this is certainly a good thing!).
As well, thanks for the tips Erpy

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am

I have all stats at 100, and it was pretty difficult to win battles... I killed some jackalmen and a brigand though... a jackalman was fighting me from all sides, can i counter those or is that part of my automatic defense?

I really like the battle system.. GREAT JOB!!! in the original, even with 100 stats, I would just hold down 7 on every enemy and it would kill them... in the remake, I actually have to dodge and parry to win... its really cool..... I wish the original was like this...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:19 am

You can dodge and parry attacks to your back and flank. If an enemy on your left is attacking, dodge right. (or back or forward) If you're a fighter, use the shield to deflect his blow. When your agility has risen a little bit, you'll be able to knock them down when they get close. (Uhura will tell you when)

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:24 am

Erpy wrote:You can dodge and parry attacks to your back and flank. If an enemy on your left is attacking, dodge right. (or back or forward) If you're a fighter, use the shield to deflect his blow. When your agility has risen a little bit, you'll be able to knock them down when they get close. (Uhura will tell you when)

Wow you guys did an amazing job on the battle system... I'd imagine that must have been a nightmare to make in AGS, it doesn't seem like it would be well equipped to handle something so sophistacated....

Has anybody used a magic user in battle? is spell casting pretty cool? Come to think of it, I never used a magic user in battle in the original... I should go try that and then try it in the remake...

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by hypn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 am

oughtobe wrote:Has anybody used a magic user in battle? is spell casting pretty cool? Come to think of it, I never used a magic user in battle in the original... I should go try that and then try it in the remake...
The spell casting in combat is insane - looks like actual lighting effects, to me (especially dazzle), or are those just sprites Erpy? This whole game's been done so amazing :D

Forcebolt:

Dazzle:

Flame dart:
Last edited by hypn on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:34 am

The dazzle flashes in 32-bit mode are alpha-blended sprites.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 am

Yes, play the game with the 16-bit option turned on and you'll notice that the spell effects lack the high level of detail and semi-transparancy. Running at <32-bit mode, they'll simply use hard-edged, non-transparent sprites like the VGA QFG games did.

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Morningstar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:52 am

how do I cast spells in combat?

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 am

hypn wrote:
oughtobe wrote:Has anybody used a magic user in battle? is spell casting pretty cool? Come to think of it, I never used a magic user in battle in the original... I should go try that and then try it in the remake...
The spell casting in combat is insane - looks like actual lighting effects, to me (especially dazzle), or are those just sprites Erpy? This whole game's been done so amazing :D

(3 Awesome pics)
WoW!!! awesome.... :eek

and as far as casting spells, you probably have to be a magic user... I know I couldn't as a fighter, well of course not, there's a big shield in my hand...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 am

Have magic, have the right spells, don't carry a shield and press the spell's hotkey. Oh, and projectile spells can't be cast in melee range.

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by hypn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:57 am

Morningstar wrote:how do I cast spells in combat?
Someone didn't read their manual (don't worry, neither did I, till I wanted to find out how to cast spells). Use these keys:

Q: throw dagger
W: cast zap
E: special attack

A: cast force bolt
S: cast dazzle
D: cast flame dart

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by Morningstar » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:46 pm

holy crap - ghouls have magic!!

suddenly reversal is very important!!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Heh, unfortunately Reversal won't help against the ghoul spells since they're either support magic, non-magical projectiles or area-attacks.