The X-Ray goggles in there? :p

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

GrimCW
Peasant Status

The X-Ray goggles in there? :p

#1 Post by GrimCW » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 pm

haven't seen anything on it, so i figured i'd ask :p
I can't recall the point in game, but as i recall there was a nifty little easter egg of watching someone get changed while using X-Ray goggles to see it.
i think it was edited out in one version though (anthology?)

loveing it so far!
i was always dissapointed they never did one themselves at Sierra, but this more than makes up for it :)

now if i could get QFG4 (CD version) to work again, i'd be sitting pretty...
i think the only one i never completed was 5 for some reason..
anyone else never finish one of'em?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: The X-Ray goggles in there? :p

#2 Post by Gronagor » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 pm

Yeah. That scene with the x-ray glasses is still there. :lol

GrimCW
Peasant Status

#3 Post by GrimCW » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:13 pm

lol
sweet, i always loved the gags the games made, and the running ones that kept going throughout the series.

wasn't it said that the "thieves sign" is basicly the thing from startrek the vulcans do?
i think it was described in QFG4...

i can't wait to give the series another run through (assuming i can :/ i have an old Win98 system sitting behind me (and it still works! bite on that 2k bug!) but my copy of QFG4 is scratched bad :/ i have it backup up on my HD (as i have done with all my pre- year 2k games :p i even have a copy of "heroes quest" here somewhere...) but it won't be the same without the voiceovers :( ahh well...)

bcrt2000
Peasant Status

#4 Post by bcrt2000 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 pm

GrimCW wrote:now if i could get QFG4 (CD version) to work again, i'd be sitting pretty...
i think the only one i never completed was 5 for some reason..
anyone else never finish one of'em?
The Sierra Help Pages is your answer: http://tawmis.com/collector/

I really would wish these games were re-released on Steam with the fan-made patches.

GrimCW
Peasant Status

#5 Post by GrimCW » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:37 pm

oh, the game loads, but the sound either doesn't initialize, or screws up depending on settings :/
odd thing is, i still use soundblaster cards, and they used too (i dunno if they still do) emulate the old SB and SB32 for the purpose of older games and the sound methods of the time.

problem is there though, if i don't have the voice overs active, the games text flips by at warp speed and the game itself tends to crash due to it.
i got it working once ages ago, but you think i can remember how? :p

as for re-released, most of'em are in gametap iirc.
but a re-release of something like a massive "adventure pack" containing all the old Sierra games would def rock.
i'd lay down some $80 bux for that :P

anyone here tried QFG4.5? its a severe laugh riot and not to shabby.
really answers a few "what happened" questions, in an unofficial manner :p

thefivetheory
Peasant Status

#6 Post by thefivetheory » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 pm

Are you running in DosBox? If not I'd highly recommend you do, as it will probably fix your issue.

If that's not your preferred approach, try disabling speech in the game options (I think that's an option...) or use the install program to change your configuration for the speech sound card to none, and see if that helps. Also try with different sound cards if you have any other options when in the install utility...

GrimCW
Peasant Status

#7 Post by GrimCW » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:51 pm

i tried dosbox ages ago and it either ran to fast, or stuttered bad, not lagged or ran slow, it stuttered and was skipping all over.
no matter what settings i used it just never worked :/

as for disabling it, like i said, if its not there or turned off the game runs a million miles a second and ends up crashing.
i had it working once, and everything ran smooth as silk right to the crash in the swamp/marsh area :/

i'll hafta tinker some more, for now though the remake of QFG2 here is calling to me, its freaking trippy walking through shapeir in the updated gfx.

bcrt2000
Peasant Status

#8 Post by bcrt2000 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:27 pm

DOSBox should work, you just need to figure out what speed settings to use, and you need to change the CPU setting to "dynamic" or else it will be extremely slow.

GrimCW
Peasant Status

#9 Post by GrimCW » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:46 am

like i said, last time i tried dosbox it either ran to fast, or stuttered, there was no slow point, or normal.
i'll give it a shot sometime but lately i've just been booked between work and modding my model kits (adding lighted windows to old starwars/startrek models ain't as easy as people make it look :p )

cpu setting to dynamic? what?
must be a new thing in dosbox i'd guess?

anywho, Shapeir is freaking SWEET this time through! i really can't put that any other way...

Goilveig
Knight Status

#10 Post by Goilveig » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:27 am

Dosbox keeps getting better all the time.

And it's not your sound card, it's Windows. The NT-flavor OSs don't like it when your games try to directly access a sound card without using the Windows sound drivers. Dosbox or vdmsound get around that by intercepting that and redirecting it through the normal Windows audio system.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Almagnus1 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:38 am

Since DOSBox is one of the programs from the Unix/Linux side of things, you'll have to read through the documentation that came with it. The CPU/framerate adjustments have been in there for at least 2-3 years now (I remember using them a long time ago in a land far, far away **starts Star Wars**)(that's the original un-Lucas-fied version btw).

You can also have DOSBox set up to automatically mount a folder as the C Drive, and also have it automatically play a game when you start it (so say like you're working on ONLY one game at a time, you can have it go to that game on load).

You can also (if you are skilled enough) write your own menu for it, and have that deal with the games and stuff. The other option is to find someone that knows how and bug them.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#12 Post by Schloss Ritter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:19 pm

Almagnus1 wrote:You can also (if you are skilled enough) write your own menu for it, and have that deal with the games and stuff. The other option is to find someone that knows how and bug them.
D-Fend Reloaded...

Tallin
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Tallin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Naw, the thief sign is (IIRC): you rub your belly with one hand, while placing the thumb of the other hand on your nose and then wiggle your fingers.

Sinergy
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Sinergy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Yes, a vulcan greeting would draw unwanted attention

Mesto
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Mesto » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:16 pm

More than one use for these in VGA version maybe? :hat

GrimCW
Peasant Status

#16 Post by GrimCW » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

Tallin wrote:Naw, the thief sign is (IIRC): you rub your belly with one hand, while placing the thumb of the other hand on your nose and then wiggle your fingers.

ahh yeah, thats right.
been a LONG time :p
i knew it was some joke or another though, i just couldn't remember of what :p

Steamrabbit
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Steamrabbit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:10 pm

QFG 4.5 was buggy, rough around the edges, offensive, lacked any real documentation and I loved every second of it.

In fact, I should really play through it again.

GrimCW wrote: anyone here tried QFG4.5? its a severe laugh riot and not to shabby.
really answers a few "what happened" questions, in an unofficial manner :p