Should we expect a new version of the game?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Sam2
Peasant Status

Should we expect a new version of the game?

#1 Post by Sam2 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:31 pm

There are two reasons for asking the question. Firstly, updates invalidate savegames, and Quest for Glory savegames are more valuable than those of other Sierra based games due to the uniqueness of the character's stats (I would rather not play through the game and create a savegame archive if there is a strong possibility that the game might be upgraded). Secondly, due to a not-so-minor bug that I posted about before on this thread, the chances for an update might be higher than before.

If an update is planned, would it be quite a while from now?
Last edited by Sam2 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<Lord Sloth>
Peasant Status

Re: Should we expect a new version of the game?

#2 Post by <Lord Sloth> » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Bump, because I'm interested in an answer to this to. I've held off playing since the release for the timing to be right, and for the delta testing to squash as many bugs as possible...and to be as sure as could be that no top secret vocal patch additions didn't spring out of nowhere (fool us once, shame on tierra, but changing your name won't make me forget).

But the time is ripe for a new hero, I think.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:28 pm

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure myself.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:59 am

We had planned on upgrading the game to the new AGS engine (which would require another whole round of testing), but in consideration of the amount of time it'd take and the scarcity of the fanbase these days, I'm afraid we really couldn't justify spending that much time updating the game when only a small handful of people will play the new version. This is what's happened with the King's Quest I and King's Quest II revamps; they took 3+ years to complete and only a very small fraction of people have even downloaded them. It's simply not a good use of time.

I'd recommend not holding your breathe. Go ahead and enjoy the current version of the game.

<Lord Sloth>
Peasant Status

#5 Post by <Lord Sloth> » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:45 am

<INHALES> Ahhhhhhh, ahhh, oooh my god, that feels, soo much better. Whuw.

And I hope you don't regret fixing up king's quest 1 and 2, I enjoyed them so much, even as a replay. Those little details immerse the player so much more then before, seems like you were bringing them up to the level of QFG2 anyway. Even if the same people as before don't don't rush to re-download them all at once, and it seems anti-climatic, that's just the old crowd. Now they're done and professionalized and ready to trickle down to the next generation to be attracted to Himalaya, ADGI and adventure games.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:18 am

I don't regret revamping the King's Quest games. It's just that it now takes more work than ever to keep the dwindling adventure game fanbase entertained. Adventure games, by their very nature, take much longer to create than most other game genres. So, it's not the most productive use of time to keep upgrading free Sierra remakes (or doing revamps of them), as the process leaves no fuel to keep the fire burning, so to speak.

I'm glad we brought the King's Quest games up to a level of quality that accurately represents our team's current talents, though I do wish the revamps (and the Quest for Glory II remake) picked up some more mainstream publicity to help with getting the word out there.