Concerning QfG1VGA imports

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Concerning QfG1VGA imports

#1 Post by Brainiac » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:05 pm

I dunno if this should strictly be here, but it makes sense. I presume you guys tested both QfG1EGA and QfG1VGA imports. Can you tell me how much cash I need from Spielburg in order to come into QfG2 with 250 gold coins? I ask because my tests so far have been really whacked. With 110 gold coins before facing Baba Yaga, I entered QfG2 with 220 gold. So I went back and got another 30 gold coins in QfG1 and exported again. I entered Shapeir with 221 gold coins. Very strange (and I checked it against the EGA original - this is an issue with QfG1VGA as it's still 220 and 221 in the original as well).

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Concerning QfG1VGA imports

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Did you rescue Bernard and not receive it until the game ended or vice versa? both saves? I think that could make it screwy because it's possible to beat the game without getting all the reward money. Otherwise I don't know. Why would you need such a precise amount of gold anyways?

AtypicalChuck
Peasant Status

#3 Post by AtypicalChuck » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:13 pm

I am not even halfway through the QFG2 remake and even with the caps on selling monster parts I have too much money to carry at once. :)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Brainiac » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:16 pm

500 point score. Everything's done.

I just want continuity between all of my characters if at all possible.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:33 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of freeing Bernard but not staying the night at the castle and getting fifty gold versus freeing Bernard and just waiting til the ending to go to the castle (Don't think it makes a point difference) Maybe that would make it different.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:00 am

Never mind guys, I figured it out. To all importers, take note!

QfG1EGA will incorporate both your silvers and golds in its final tally. Thus, if you face Baba Yaga with 100 gold and 100 silver, you will gain then equivalent of 140 gold for the offered rewards for "defeating" both the Brigand Warlock and Leader, as well as returning Elsa to her father. This means you will start either version of QfG2 with 250 gold coins.

QfG1VGA is ironic inanity. GOLD DOESN'T COUNT. At all. If you have 10,000 gold from abusing the mushroom glitch and no silvers (you gave them all to Sam to fund the startup capital of the First Bank of Silmaria), you will start with 220 gold from Spielburg. Apparently, the game gives you 1100 silver twice of the course of the ending scene if you dealt with the Brigands and Baba Yaga. So all you need for the equivalent of 250 gold is a mere 300 silver.

Couple this with the new 1 gold = 1 dinar rule and it leaves one wondering whether or not VGA (or better) is more cost-effective than the EGA counterparts. :p

adeyke

#7 Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:14 am

Oh, wow. That means I did it exactly wrong. Since you start with only gold, I'd assume that silver was simply ignored entirely. So when playing QfG1VGA, I'd saved up all my quest reward gold and spent only silvers. I happened to still have around 10 silver when I faced Baba Yaga, giving me only 221 gold on import. If I'd known those 167 gold I carried were worthless, I'd have spent a lot less time farming to buy potions.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Yeah. Fortunately the VGA version can easily be manipulated into avoiding gold. You can drop all but one of your silvers, then spend all your gold, retrieve your silvers, and then NEVER use the mushroom glich. Nothing but silvers.

Beverheim
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Beverheim » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:37 pm

Brainiac wrote:Yeah. Fortunately the VGA version can easily be manipulated into avoiding gold. You can drop all but one of your silvers, then spend all your gold, retrieve your silvers, and then NEVER use the mushroom glich. Nothing but silvers.
I never found a way to drop inventory items AND be able to retrieve them later in the VGA version of QFG1. Is there really a storage place somewhere in the game?

Heck, in the VGA version, I can't even find a way to retrieve the daggers after I've thrown them at the monsters. In the EGA-version, you coud type "retrieve daggers" or something. Maybe you got them back even if you just searched the bodies, can't remember.
In VGA, i can't find them anywhere, even I click on the bodies or on the ground. Maybe some bug?

Makes dagger-throwing at monsters a quite expensive strategy:(

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#10 Post by DrJones » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Beverheim wrote:
Brainiac wrote:Yeah. Fortunately the VGA version can easily be manipulated into avoiding gold. You can drop all but one of your silvers, then spend all your gold, retrieve your silvers, and then NEVER use the mushroom glich. Nothing but silvers.
I never found a way to drop inventory items AND be able to retrieve them later in the VGA version of QFG1. Is there really a storage place somewhere in the game?

Heck, in the VGA version, I can't even find a way to retrieve the daggers after I've thrown them at the monsters. In the EGA-version, you coud type "retrieve daggers" or something. Maybe you got them back even if you just searched the bodies, can't remember.
In VGA, i can't find them anywhere, even I click on the bodies or on the ground. Maybe some bug?

Makes dagger-throwing at monsters a quite expensive strategy:(
I know this one! On the inventory menu, there's a "drop items" icon, and also, a "retrieve items" icon! Just remember to retrieve your items before they disappear. ;)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 pm

DrJones wrote:I know this one! On the inventory menu, there's a "drop items" icon, and also, a "retrieve items" icon! Just remember to retrieve your items before they disappear. ;)
In other words, pick them back up BEFORE you leave the screen you dropped them on.

Beverheim
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Beverheim » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:10 pm

DrJones wrote: ]I know this one! On the inventory menu, there's a "drop items" icon, and also, a "retrieve items" icon! Just remember to retrieve your items before they disappear. ;)
OK, maybe this icon also works for retrieving daggers?

Regarding the silver strategy: There are limits to how much silver you could carry, though. 1500+ silver coins is quite heavy if your character is already carrying shield and armour.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#13 Post by DrJones » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:14 pm

Brainiac wrote:
DrJones wrote:I know this one! On the inventory menu, there's a "drop items" icon, and also, a "retrieve items" icon! Just remember to retrieve your items before they disappear. ;)
In other words, pick them back up BEFORE you leave the screen you dropped them on.
If I recall correctly, it's not as easy as you think. The game considers (due to a bug) that the "close scene" of an encounter counts as leaving the screen, so you have to throw and then pick your knives before the monster reaches you, or you will still lose them. :x

I've yet to test this on QFG2 to see if it happens.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:24 pm

DrJones wrote:
Brainiac wrote:
If I recall correctly, it's not as easy as you think. The game considers (due to a bug) that the "close scene" of an encounter counts as leaving the screen, so you have to throw and then pick your knives before the monster reaches you, or you will still lose them. :x
Probably true. However, I was referring more to the "dropping items" element than the throwing of daggers.

ejx982
Peasant Status

#15 Post by ejx982 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:46 am

You are both right. In QFG1VGA, you have to throw as many daggers as you can, then use the hand icon on the ground, this retrieves your daggers before combat. If you engage in combat before, then you loose them. Because of this, I just carry rocks and hurrle them before combat.

The same goes with dropped Items. I *DO* think you can drop the shield, go into combat, use spells, then pick up the shield after... its been a while though. I was never a fan of hybrids.

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#16 Post by XboxNation » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:06 pm

ejx982 wrote:You are both right. In QFG1VGA, you have to throw as many daggers as you can, then use the hand icon on the ground, this retrieves your daggers before combat. If you engage in combat before, then you loose them. Because of this, I just carry rocks and hurrle them before combat.

The same goes with dropped Items. I *DO* think you can drop the shield, go into combat, use spells, then pick up the shield after... its been a while though. I was never a fan of hybrids.
I'm a beefy Thief turned Wizard that lays terrorsauruses out for fun. We don't need no stinkin' shields or swords, thank you.