Importing into Wages of War

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Rip Steakjaw
Peasant Status

Importing into Wages of War

#1 Post by Rip Steakjaw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:21 am

I was strictly a fighter that made Paladin at the end of 2, none of that multiclass crap, anyway, now in three when I import it all says, "We detect you are a Paladin, if this isn't correct select the one etceta" and I'm all like yeah alright but then the Aziza dame is all like, "months ago you stopped Ad Avis by casting fetch on his candle and using reveral and whatnot," and suddenly I'm thinking hold on a minute here! But I get in the game and I'm still Paladin, no magic points or spells or nothing so it's all okay. But then, later, when I get enough honor to get the Paladin healing ability I also get a 5 in Magic and now have Mana, 60 points worth specifically. Can that be right or am I just forgetting that Paladins get magic points when they get their spells? I was thinking it was strictly a stamina thing.

Anyway your remake's great good work and all, except for it being a little too great. Now all the other game's feel kind of weak with their useless combat systems. So you guys should have planned that out a little better, set some limits for yourself, thrown in some real crap segments or something, I don't know.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

Re: Importing into Wages of War

#2 Post by MagusRogue » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:23 am

there's some bug or something in QG3 that gives all paladins a magic rating once you start learning your paladin spells. always happens, even before this remake. Thats why my paladin learned Frost Bite from Katrina in 4....

Rip Steakjaw
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Rip Steakjaw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 am

Is there anyway around that? I thought for sure I got through it without picking up any magic before.

MagusRogue
Peasant Status

#4 Post by MagusRogue » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:27 am

dont learn Heal? basically, the game, once you learn a skill that involves you using the Cast part of your bar, it recognizes that as magic instead of a skill. So.... it gives you a magic rating. Guess all paladins are spose to be hybrids. *Shrugs*

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:43 am

Yeah, QfG3 and QfG4 require at least some points in Magic in order to open the magic submenu where Healing Hands is stored. QfG5 is the only one that doesn't require it; you get a Spells submenu containing the available Paladin Abilities without needing Magic to open it. As Magus Rogue said, you can either keep your Paladin Points and Honor low in both QfG3 and QfG4 in order to not activate Healing Hands, or you can simply keep removing what spells you gain via a game editor. Once you get to QfG5, a quick use of an editor can permanently deactivate your Magic, still leaving you with the Paladin Abilities. Someone may even be able to tell you what changes you need to make to the QfG4 export file to remove Magic from your Hero.

duchU
Peasant Status

#6 Post by duchU » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:11 am

The strange thing is that you have wizard's introduction when importing paladin and choosing to play as paladin but when importing fighter and choosing to play as paladin you have normal fighter's intro... So I guess I'll try to play as a fighter in qfg3 to become paladin and see what happens with this magic skill.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:46 pm

You won't be able to get enough Paladin Points after changing to get Healing Hands in QfG3. It'll show up in QfG4 instead, and the Magic effect will occur once again. However, as I recall, the only spell you automatically gain in QfG4 is Juggling Lights. It's the only QfG that doesn't automatically give Zap to someone with a Magic skill (except for QfG1 for non-Mages).

You MIGHT be able to bypass things with a very high Honor on import; Healing Hands is learned in Shadows of Darkness at around 225 Honor. However, if it works and you don't get a Magic skill or submenu, you can't access the Paladin's healing abilities.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#8 Post by Goilveig » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:58 am

Brainiac wrote:You won't be able to get enough Paladin Points after changing to get Healing Hands in QfG3.
You can easily get 100 PP in Qfg3. Just feed the thief.

adeyke

#9 Post by adeyke » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:16 am

That's not an option for characters who become a Paladin during QfG3. Those characters are Paladinized during the scripted sequence that locks them out of Tarna, so they can't get their Paladin points there.

CDA_91
Peasant Status

#10 Post by CDA_91 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Oddly the magic points disappeared when I started QFG5 even without editing :S

And I got frostbite but not juggling lights in QFG4.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#11 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:05 am

MagusRogue wrote:dont learn Heal? basically, the game, once you learn a skill that involves you using the Cast part of your bar, it recognizes that as magic instead of a skill. So.... it gives you a magic rating. Guess all paladins are spose to be hybrids. *Shrugs*
Nah, because unlike other QFG games, if you import a character (from QFG3 anyhow), you get no spells apart from what the imported character had. That is, if you import a fighter or thief, even if you give them magic at the beginning, they have no spells when they start.

Same with the pally, even if he starts with 105 magic (5 + 100 points from the char create screen), he'll only have Healing Hands.

Prolly just a bug that you can learn a QFG4 spell with only having the 5 magic. They should have just required > 10 Magic to learn new spells.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#12 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:52 am

Actually found a QFG4 bug related to that in fact.

If I turn on strategic combat, my paladin tries to cast Flame Dart in combat, and then the game promptly CTDs as it realizes it can't do that.