Keapon's game

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

kukamukies
Peasant Status

Keapon's game

#1 Post by kukamukies » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:34 am

I'm seriously terrible at these arcade style games and even with the game skill at its lowest I can't beat Keapon!! Does anyone have some tips for beating him?

Thanks!

adeyke

Re: Keapon's game

#2 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:43 am

It may be cheap, but it works:
Save frequently. Use detect to see if it's possible to get one of Keapon's clouds. If you toss a force bolt and miss, restore and try a different one. If, after you trigger/fetch something, Keapon uses the opportunity to blast one of your clouds, restore and instead do something that'll interfere with his action.

JohnWWells
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by JohnWWells » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:18 am

* Before doing anything else, check your defenses. Use the circular arrow to rotate all of the prisms next to your clouds, and see if there are any that are in a position that would make it possible to hit your clouds from a certain angle. Reinforce your defenses to avoid this using Fetch and Trigger. You do need at least one hole in your defenses to fire bolts out, but that's it.

* To target Keapon's clouds, work backwards, trying to find a path that requires the fewest manipulations to hit.

* Use detect magic frequently. If one of his clouds lights up at any point, search until you find the path that will hit it.

* If all else fails, save and restore.

AtypicalChuck
Peasant Status

#4 Post by AtypicalChuck » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:37 am

Here is something I made that gives two examples of how the game works that I didn't understand from the game's introduction:

Also: The grid can help too! Watch to see how bolts move between the grid lines.

Morningstar
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Morningstar » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 am

Tips:

All the clouds have three directions a bolt can hit it from:
- horizontal
- diagonally up
- diagonally down

for the two clouds on the end, this means that bolts ricocheted off the walls can come in at these angles.

Walls will either reflect bolts at 90 degrees, or straight back,
- so a prism angled to the wall at 90 degrees will have it bounce back and continue on in the direction it was originally travelling
- bouncing a bolt off a wall can be a way to get past a prism, and very good way of targeting the end prisms

- triggering cycles the prisms in a cycle, it will take six casts of trigger to get a single revolution of angles
- sometimes it's more effective to simply remove a prism in the way with fetch and target the cloud through the gap from a prism further away
- it may be more cost effective to use fetch to remove the prism with an angle you don't want, and then replace it with another prism with an angle you do want

- cheap ways of taking out the end and middle clouds,
- make sure you have a prism that is angled to one of these clouds, but will receive a bolt from the horizontal right, then cast fetch on the prism in your column that is at the same row. This creates a direct line of sight with a prism on Keapon's column that is directly targeting a cloud of his.

kukamukies
Peasant Status

#6 Post by kukamukies » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:19 am

Thankyou so much for all of the pointers! I didn't understand the arrows at all so the explanation really helped me. :) I got my supercharged force bolts and the free fan.