So, you want to import a hero?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Goilveig
Knight Status

So, you want to import a hero?

#1 Post by Goilveig » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 pm

I've seen some QG1 character import creators out there, but they didn't do it for me -- I wanted a pure class, not a hybrid, and doubly so because many of those character generators make "impossible" characters (in QG1, only the thief could get every possible skill, and he couldn't have Zap). And I didn't feel like grinding all the stats up in QG1 three times, as my old characters are long gone.

So, with a few minutes of work on my razzle dazzled QFG1, I made some "perfect" imports. Each gives the character the best of all stats for that class, without hybridizing at all, and equip for that class.

Details:

All characters have 500 Spielburg gold, and will have 5 rations and 1 waterskin
All characters have the chainmail armor from QG1 (even the mage and thief could buy and use it).

Fighter has the sword and shield.
Thief has 11 daggers (10 for throwing, 1 for sticking into other people), lockpick, toolkit, and thieves' guild ID.
Mage has a dagger, and all 8 spells at 100 skill.

All of them are just named "Hero" but you can change that on the import screen when you adjust your stats.

If I neglected anything, let me know.

I hope people find this useful. I personally enjoy playing as pure classes, it gives more replay value (as I'd replay anyway, as there are exclusives for each class too).
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Goilveig
Knight Status

Re: So, you want to import a hero?

#2 Post by Goilveig » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:56 pm

The only thing not quite realistic on those saves is the cash, and then only because QG1 had no method to convert silvers to golds.

You could only get a total of 210 actual golds as the non-thief classes (without using the healer mushroom bug), 140 of those given during the ending cutscenes, which would mean to make up the balance you'd need to bring 2900 silver to Baba Yaga's. Getting that much silver is possible, but carrying it around would be impractical. The armor + coins alone would weigh about 86 pounds and your limit is 90. Your other equip would put this to about 105 pounds.

However, it would still be possible to carry that, so it's not a deal breaker; 105 pounds can be done. And if you bought the armor at the very end of the game (between the brigand's fortress and Baba Yaga) you would only be overweight for the short trip to the hut at the end. And it's not SO much overweight that you can't move.

'Course, if you use the mushroom bug, you could get thousands of gold taken to the end of the game. But even playing legit, the amounts are possible, if somewhat implausible.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:12 am

Goilveig wrote:The only thing not quite realistic on those saves is the cash, and then only because QG1 had no method to convert silvers to golds.
Inaccurate. QfG1EGA converts every ten silvers properly. Case in point, I have characters finish the game with 100 gold and 100 silver. They begin QfG2 with 250 gold coins (since 100 silver = 10 gold, I have 110 + the 140 at the end = 250 gold coins). QfG1VGA, however, completely ignores gold. You get 1100 silvers added to your cash twice over the course of the ending, and your gold coins upon import to QfG2 only reflect your net silver - gold is completely dropped.

In truth, this means your weight restriction is an even bigger point as it all has to be in silvers for the VGA version. EGA is much more weight-efficient.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#4 Post by Goilveig » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:26 am

Brainiac wrote:
Goilveig wrote:The only thing not quite realistic on those saves is the cash, and then only because QG1 had no method to convert silvers to golds.
Inaccurate. QfG1EGA converts every ten silvers properly. Case in point, I have characters finish the game with 100 gold and 100 silver. They begin QfG2 with 250 gold coins (since 100 silver = 10 gold, I have 110 + the 140 at the end = 250 gold coins). QfG1VGA, however, completely ignores gold. You get 1100 silvers added to your cash twice over the course of the ending, and your gold coins upon import to QfG2 only reflect your net silver - gold is completely dropped.

In truth, this means your weight restriction is an even bigger point as it all has to be in silvers for the VGA version. EGA is much more weight-efficient.
What I meant about not being able to convert is that there's no NPC in QFG1 that would let you exchange 10 silvers into 1 gold, to cut down on weight. Exporting 500 gold would still be possible in QG1 EGA though, via buying the armor after the brigand's fortress and just walking very slowly to Baba Yaga's. Or by dropping your sword and shield after you buy the armor (as I am pretty sure the importer would generate those if they were missing). So long as you avoided combat on the way to BY's it would be possible.

Interesting point about QG1 VGA vs EGA though. I didn't know the VGA version had broken the currency export.

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by arganite » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:11 am

Goilveig wrote:I've seen some QG1 character import creators out there, but they didn't do it for me -- I wanted a pure class, not a hybrid, and doubly so because many of those character generators make "impossible" characters (in QG1, only the thief could get every possible skill, and he couldn't have Zap). And I didn't feel like grinding all the stats up in QG1 three times, as my old characters are long gone.

So, with a few minutes of work on my razzle dazzled QFG1, I made some "perfect" imports. Each gives the character the best of all stats for that class, without hybridizing at all, and equip for that class.

Details:

All characters have 500 Spielburg gold, and will have 5 rations and 1 waterskin
All characters have the chainmail armor from QG1 (even the mage and thief could buy and use it).

Fighter has the sword and shield.
Thief has 11 daggers (10 for throwing, 1 for sticking into other people), lockpick, toolkit, and thieves' guild ID.
Mage has a dagger, and all 8 spells at 100 skill.

All of them are just named "Hero" but you can change that on the import screen when you adjust your stats.

If I neglected anything, let me know.

I hope people find this useful. I personally enjoy playing as pure classes, it gives more replay value (as I'd replay anyway, as there are exclusives for each class too).
You can max out the fighter as well, if you use the plus and minus signs on the character select (I cant remember exactly how it is done, but it isn't hard). Ill check the mage for you as well.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#6 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:14 pm

arganite wrote: You can max out the fighter as well, if you use the plus and minus signs on the character select (I cant remember exactly how it is done, but it isn't hard). Ill check the mage for you as well.
I think I know what you mean, but that's really an exploit. It was bad checking on the part of the game that let you drop a stat below its minimum value, allowing for more free points to learn new skills.

While it's certainly possible (VGA version anyway), I think it violates the spirit of the game.