Favorite New additions?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Goilveig
Knight Status

Favorite New additions?

#1 Post by Goilveig » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:14 am

Okay, so what are people's favorite new additions to the series?

Mine:

Fighter: The revamped combat system. Makes combat take more skill, and really gives the fighter the edge in combat with his array of resources, compared to other games when he just has a little more DPS and parry (which was never all that useful).

Mage: The new minigames make leveling many spells a breeze, and 200 magic is just a few fun games away. The fill-'er-up on the MP saves a ton of cash on mana pills.

Thief: Third thief mission is great, and SNEAK ATTACK is just awesome. Before I learned about that, I'd dread combat on the thief, once I figured how it was done, I could go crawling the desert for ghouls all night.

Rahul
Peasant Status

Re: Favorite New additions?

#2 Post by Rahul » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:01 pm

There are so many to enumerate ;) I just started playing the remake today and here are some of my favorites
  • Chatting with Shameen and Shema every night after they close the inn. This is an awesome touch and I make it a point to not miss this event. Them helping with the street names was also brilliant.
  • The magic games are amazing, especially Aziza's Wizard Whirl and I'm having a blast playing them.
  • The combat is very well designed and thought out, with good complexity, assistance, special moves. Kudos Erpy!
There are numerous other small and unexpected touches that make the game really shine. I'm sure I'll discover more cool things as I play further.

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Thyme in Lost » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Rahul wrote:
  • Chatting with Shameen and Shema every night after they close the inn. This is an awesome touch and I make it a point to not miss this event. Them helping with the street names was also brilliant.
I keep trying to trigger this, but so far, I've been unable to.

Do they close right before midnight or right after midnight?
When do I need to head to the inn to chat with them.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:27 pm

There's a range of time that's listed as the middle of the night. They'll be there for the first part of that, I think.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Yes, it's the first "timeblock" of midnight. Timeblocks are invisible, so it's not easy to see. Best thing you can do is immediately return to the inn when you notice it's midnight. Or, if you have no actual plans for the evening, sleep until evening and rest an hour twice. That gets you to the exact moment.

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Draco62 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:35 pm

:D I love this game! everything is great. Just started it so I have not seen a lot but so far its great. Are all the things to buy usefull I mean things like baskets and pots? thanks.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#7 Post by Goilveig » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:02 am

Draco62 wrote::D I love this game! everything is great. Just started it so I have not seen a lot but so far its great. Are all the things to buy usefull I mean things like baskets and pots? thanks.
The basket is the only one I've never found a use for. I'm pretty sure you couldn't actually buy a basket in the EGA version, though the vendor was there. Also note some items are decorative for your room at the inn (new in remake).

Asceai
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Asceai » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:00 am

Love the Saurus Repair Shop.

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Draco62 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:45 pm

A thanks I will try that out.

ajded80
Peasant Status

#10 Post by ajded80 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:23 pm

You know, I've bene trying to like the combat system I really did, but I truly believe that you guys could of spent less time on all of these easter eggs, and given people on option on the combat.

As of now, I'm going to stick with the original QG2.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:44 pm

I spent way more time programming the battle system than implemening any easter egg. Trust me on that. What option exactly did you mean?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#12 Post by Gronagor » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:07 am

:rollin Yeah.... the combat system is pretty faultless.
You should expect not to be able to take on a scorpion in your first fight! Run, ajded80, run! :rollin

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:22 am

I wouldn't say it's faultless, but turned out mostly the way I envisioned it. But I can definitely understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. I can only hope most people will take the time to find a strategy that works for them and don't immediately dismiss it because spamming the attack key isn't as effective anymore.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Brainiac » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Gronagor wrote:You should expect not to be able to take on a scorpion in your first fight!
Speak for yourself. My future Paladin handled five scorpions with relative ease (and several vigor pills/naps) withing the first two days. Once he got his Force Bolt chared up, he handled the same number of ghouls.

Now a full pack of five jackalmen or a terrorsaurus...that's another matter. Eep. :p