*SUPER SPOILER* The biggest easter egg in the game.

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: *SUPER SPOILER* The biggest easter egg in the game.

#201 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:01 pm

Actually, you can also duck his punches, meaning that the dodge skill is kinda unnecessary. (you can also evade pizza's by advancing/retreating) Weapon use is useless too, since the elemental can't dodge or parry.

EDIT: Just beat it with a fighter with all his skills at 100, after leaving my chainmail in the storage chest. I had 35 hp left after the battle. Kinda shows stats aren't always everything.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#202 Post by Crowley9 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:17 am

Erpy wrote:Actually, you can also duck his punches, meaning that the dodge skill is kinda unnecessary. (you can also evade pizza's by advancing/retreating) Weapon use is useless too, since the elemental can't dodge or parry.
Heck, I posit that certain low stats might even help in defeating it considering how those automatic jumping attacks take stamina like it was the post-Christmas sale on it! And I need a lot more practice do differentiate between ducking and jumping back. Some might even say it was a bit of a dick move to bind three moves to the same key press differentiated by fraction of a second windows. But not me.

haradan
Knight Status

#203 Post by haradan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:52 am

Just beat it with a fighter with all his skills at 100, after leaving my chainmail in the storage chest. I had 35 hp left after the battle. Kinda shows stats aren't always everything.
Yeah, but you designed the combat system and the damned pizza thing! I'm sure you can beat it with your eyes closed! :lol

BTW, I didn't want to sound so pessimistic, I'm actually having a wonderful time playing the game, it's just this pizza guy I can't stand. I think I'll let it be and keep playing, there's still many things to see in the game. Maybe when I play with a pure fighter, I'll return to the desert and kick his sorry italian ass! Even if I know character or stats don't really matter, with a pure fighter I'll be at least more in the battle-till-you-bleed mood! :)

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#204 Post by Thyme in Lost » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:49 am

haradan wrote:
Just beat it with a fighter with all his skills at 100, after leaving my chainmail in the storage chest. I had 35 hp left after the battle. Kinda shows stats aren't always everything.
Yeah, but you designed the combat system and the damned pizza thing! I'm sure you can beat it with your eyes closed! :lol

BTW, I didn't want to sound so pessimistic, I'm actually having a wonderful time playing the game, it's just this pizza guy I can't stand. I think I'll let it be and keep playing, there's still many things to see in the game. Maybe when I play with a pure fighter, I'll return to the desert and kick his sorry italian ass! Even if I know character or stats don't really matter, with a pure fighter I'll be at least more in the battle-till-you-bleed mood! :)
After failing to beat the Pizza thing many times with my fighter, I cause the Trick option instead so I could get on with the game.

haradan
Knight Status

#205 Post by haradan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:02 am

After failing to beat the Pizza thing many times with my fighter, I cause the Trick option instead so I could get on with the game.
Yeah. I did as well, but let's face it, it's nowhere near the satisfaction of beating the sauce out of it. Sigh.

Sinergy
Peasant Status

#206 Post by Sinergy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:25 am

Would you people grow a pair and kill the damn thing already? This thread has explained over and over how you can deal with him in ways that don't need a buffed up character or lightning reflexes. There is no reason whatsoever that you can't deal with him, and erpy's designing it doesn't give him an edge because the entire repertoire of attacks and how to deal with them is already known :P get in there my son!

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#207 Post by malekdarshin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:56 am

Sinergy wrote:Would you people grow a pair and kill the damn thing already? This thread has explained over and over how you can deal with him in ways that don't need a buffed up character or lightning reflexes. There is no reason whatsoever that you can't deal with him, and erpy's designing it doesn't give him an edge because the entire repertoire of attacks and how to deal with them is already known :P get in there my son!
No need to be an ass. For someone who is frusterated with the battle that is all you seem right now.

There is a major flaw with the battle as I see it. That is the fact that the falling pizzas hit you while you are down. I missed a dodge on a fist shot and got hit by six (SIX!) pizzas before I could move again. It's very frusterating to see half my life go away with me hitting down and not being able to move. This forces the battle away from skill and into pure luck.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#208 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:02 am

Stand in melee range whenever possible and only walk back when absolutely necessary. Falling pizzas seldom land in the very top row.

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#209 Post by malekdarshin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:40 am

The problem was that I got hit by a punch and knocked down. The hero would almost get back to his feet when a pizza would hit him, and down he would go. Getting hit by one pizza while getting up wouldn't hurt so bad, but 5 or 6 kills all chances of killing it that go around.

By the way if a person ran from the PE can they fight it again? And if so is it healed or like any other monster in the game? In the beginning I would fight a monster until I needed to run then heal and go back to kill it. That would make it a cheese pizza, but it would still be dead.

And I think to keep the monster from healing you have to let it eat you and get out. This gives it a tummy ache and it doesn't heal. The last time I fought it though it ate two in a row (one after another) and healed. Now THAT is a cheese pizza!

Sinergy
Peasant Status

#210 Post by Sinergy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:56 am

Let him try to eat you when the rain gets heavy. This will slow the rain down, you don't even have to get into his mouth just step there and let him rub his belly. After the failed attempt things should be easier for you to jab away without worrying about pizza showers for awhile.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#211 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:20 am

Heh, my motor skills aren't superior to the average human being. Although I do know (and I assume most people didn't) that not wearing armor lowers your defense, but ups your stamina recovery rate. Usually that isn't worth the extra damage you take, but in the battle against the PE, it's all about avoiding damage.

Now, about the pizza eating stuff, the elemental's AI script automatically eats a pizza when its hp is at certain levels. (such as 50...the elemental has 100 hp in total) That means if it eats a pizza and you just sit there and watch, it might eat another one if the first one is ineffective. (since the pizza didn't work and its hp is still the same) Solution...just poke it once. Or better, more often. I can get up to 4 hits in by the time it's finished clutching its tummy. The amount of health restored by a pizza is 100 at first, but decreases with 20 each time you force it to spit you back out. So after 5 times, it'll refrain from summoning pizza alltogether.

Let's face it, if it sneaks in a pizza in melee range and then decides to artis-choke you, there's little you can do about that unless you saw that top-row pizza coming. That's a rare scenario though. For the rest, it's all about avoiding its melee attacks. If you get good at dodging its melee attacks efficiently, you can win. If not, you'll probably die. It's not so much about luck as it is about avoiding anything that's humanly possible to avoid.

CDA_91
Peasant Status

#212 Post by CDA_91 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:57 pm

Finally found him, now I understand what you meant about him being hard, the best I've got is 3/4 health XD

Although to be fair I'm doing it on a thief with embarrasingly low weapon skill (~100).

NeoSnax90
Peasant Status

#213 Post by NeoSnax90 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 am

Finally found him too. This battle is FANTASTIC!!! :rollin Now I know just how hard he is. The falling pizzas aren't that hard, but getting back into position to attack without getting punched or drained is tough (for me, anyway).

But seriously, stop complaining about how hard it is. This is a great boss, and having AGDI make it easier just robs you of that sense of accomplishment.

EDIT: Hooray! I beat him! With a whopping 3 Health Points left! :D :D :D

CDA_91
Peasant Status

#214 Post by CDA_91 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:21 pm

I know this thread is full of posts like this but:

I BEAT IT!!!! ALLLL RIIIGHT!!!

shikadi
Peasant Status

#215 Post by shikadi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:56 pm

I beat it too :)

I followed Erpy's advice and left my armor (and shield) in the chest at the inn to increase my stamina recovery. Not sure if the shield made a difference or not but you don't need a shield for the fight anyway.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#216 Post by Crowley9 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:28 am

The most recent time I fought the Pizza Elemental I encountered a bit of an oddity which might qualify as a glitch. The elemental punched the hero, and as the knockback animation was starting a pizza landed on him. This resulted in the knockback being canceled.

Daniel06
Peasant Status

#217 Post by Daniel06 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 pm

Im still having trouble finding this guy. I found him once, got killed in the fight, restored my game and decided to bulk up a bit more before fighting him again, but now i cant seem to find him again. Could it be that saving the game at screen 39 prevents him from appearing? Ive gone back again about 5-6 times, tried all six screen from mountain to mountain, and gone west as far as the 50th screen (total of 60 screens(6x10)).

What are the prerequisits for having him appear? Do i need to have read the writing saying "the evil from the east..." before running out in the desert? Anything else???

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#218 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:52 pm

You won't encounter it when walking north to south or vice versa. Only when walking west.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#219 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:32 am

finally managed to beat it. And the funny thing was that letting the hero being engulfed was a must to avoid it heals completely, and it must be done over and over again after it tries to replenish health. Other than that it's a really tedious footwork, too bad can't even use combo on it. If I could even eat health pills during battle, I might stand a better chance. Seems to remember it can be done in the originals, wonder if the remakes has a way to eat pills during battle? :?

I'm still wondering the use of pizza elemental itself other than eating it. And I also tried to give it to the beggar and he said something like the taste from heaven or something. Kinda curious though if there's any special purpose for that?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#220 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:03 am

Nope. I felt that the ability to take pills/potions during battle completely breaks a battle system, as it's no longer about figuring out how to beat an enemy and stay alive, but rather about hoarding pills.

adeyke

#221 Post by adeyke » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:12 am

QfG5 is the only game that allows the consumption of pills/potions in combat (or, as "in combat" as you can get in that game). In other games, you had to escape combat, use the pills/potions and then reenter combat (and not all combats allowed you to do that).

I completely agree with Erpy's decision not to allow in-combat pill usage.

Bobbin Threadbare
Royal Servant Status

#222 Post by Bobbin Threadbare » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:41 am

yeah... i guess it did kinda ruined it, although the ability to completely heal itself to full health was really cheap. It is really breaking your nerve when it's HP was about 10% and I'd forgot about the swallow tactics that when it executes the pizza eating, it completely heals its health to max. :lol:
I'd rather had the Ghoul type which it could heal but at the cost of its magic points.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#223 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:38 am

If you got it all the way down to 10%, I don't see how its pizza heal move could have healed it to the max. Since the heal move decreases in power each time you avoid death from its devouring attack, I´d say that its healing power should be around 20 hitpoints or so, rather than 100 by the time you wittled it down that much.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#224 Post by ATMachine » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:20 am

I seem to remember that in the original QFG2 you could indeed activate the parser during combat and use that to take healing pills. Kind of an exploit, though, but it worked.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#225 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am

Yeah, you could activate the parser during battle to type stuff like "cast flamedart", but as far as I recall, trying to heal yourself got you a "you don't have time for that"-message, just like in QFG1EGA.