Moneychanger exchange rates

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Winnick
Peasant Status

Moneychanger exchange rates

#1 Post by Winnick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:45 pm

I imported a character from QfG1VGA - and entered the game with 220 Spielburg gold.
When I go to the moneychanger - if I exchange 1 coin at a time I get 220 Dinar, but if I exchange all 220 at once I get 120.

Isn't centimes meant to be like silver in Spielburg? (I have never tried the orignal QfG2) so that the "exchange rate" stays the same no matter how much (or how little) gold I exchange at a time?

Thanks alot for making this possible - this looks so much better even than the QfG1VGA :-)

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Moneychanger exchange rates

#2 Post by Brainiac » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Winnick wrote:I imported a character from QfG1VGA - and entered the game with 220 Spielburg gold.
I'm guessing you had only a few silver. As I've said before, the VGA version only put your silver in the export file. Which is really weird.
Winnick wrote:When I go to the moneychanger - if I exchange 1 coin at a time I get 220 Dinar, but if I exchange all 220 at once I get 120.
That's typical. The more you exchange at once, the higher the cut Dinarzad takes. She will never give centimes in currency exchange - it's a straight swap from gold coins to gold dinars.
Winnick wrote:Isn't centimes meant to be like silver in Spielburg?
No. Spielburg has silvers at 10:1 relative to gold. Shapeir has centimes at 100:1 for dinars (this 100:1 system caries over into Tarna and Mordavia as well).

Winnick
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Winnick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 pm

I was just basically trying to figure out if this was a bug :-) I guess I didn't make this all clear.
It seems odd to me - it would make more sense if the exchange rate stayed the same no matter how much gold you exchanged - or maybe even a better exchange rate the more you exchange at once.

why would you "make" people exchange their coins one at a time? :-)

That is why I was thinking that she should be using centimes as well, to get a constant rate of exchange regardless.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Asrai » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:08 pm

This is something that comes directly from the original. You can exchange up to 50G at a time to keep her fee down to 10%. She is a business woman after all, how is she supposed to make a living if she gives an even exchange?

1 gold = 1 dinar
10 silver = 1 gold
100 centimes (made of brass) = 1 dinar / 10 silver

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:11 pm

I think it's also meant to reflect Dinarzad's unscrupulous nature when it comes to doing business.

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Asrai » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:13 pm

I choose to believe she's just misunderstood. :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:15 pm

Asrai wrote:I choose to believe she's just misunderstood. :p
It would take a lot to misunderstand her; she's a bit...obvious, shall we say? :p

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Asrai » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:43 am

Ahh see, there you go. Totally misunderstood. You'll notice that she's nothing but a tease, you can look but you can't touch. So she wears a low cut top and flirts like mad. What better way is there for an attractive woman to distract and perhaps fluster a man with a bit more gold than common sense? So can she really be blamed if a guy is so busy checking out her clevage that he doesn't notice or even bother to ask about her steep exchange rate? ;) It's not like Shapeir is crawling with foreigners anyway, so she can't have much business. She's got to squeeze every last dinar she can get out of the customers she does have.

Ok, really I'm just partial to her because of the services she provides to a certain character class. But I think from a story standpoint, she's totally justified in taking a huge cut out of the exchange of any adventurer unwise enough to hand over his entire purse without talking exchange rates first. (Regardless of the fact that you can't talk exchange rates. Just more shrewd business practice on her part in my opinion.)

Goilveig
Knight Status

#9 Post by Goilveig » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:34 am

Winnick wrote:I was just basically trying to figure out if this was a bug :-) I guess I didn't make this all clear.
It seems odd to me - it would make more sense if the exchange rate stayed the same no matter how much gold you exchanged - or maybe even a better exchange rate the more you exchange at once.

why would you "make" people exchange their coins one at a time? :-)
It's convenience. In fact, in the original, if you tried to do it 1 at a time, you get 0 back. It's new to the remake that you get 1 back minimum.

And even in the original, the lower you did, the better rate you got. 50 and below, you had a 10% charge (though rounding could work in your favor sometimes, whereas here it never does except of course changing 1:1).

As to why larger sums have a bigger fee, that's not really unrealistic, considering it's harder on a moneychanger (with finite cash ;)) to do larger transactions. Or just think of it as avoiding Shapierian money laundering fees ;)