taking down a ghoul

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pheeph
Peasant Status

taking down a ghoul

#1 Post by pheeph » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:05 pm

does anyone have a good strategy of what it takes to defeat a ghoul? Those things keep killing me in a quick fashion with all their magic and such.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

Re: taking down a ghoul

#2 Post by CGG » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:14 pm

Be defensive. In general - as I am sure you know - you can't stand around and beat up your opponent anymore (maybe a little after you maxed your stats, but even then you have to pay attention and known when to doge and parry).

The magical attacks are easier to dodge then you might think - but remember, sometimes its easier to move forward than backward. play around and see what works.

If you're a spell caster, make sure you have room to cast spells and only do so when you don't have to dodge lugies.

There's also an item new to the remake that can help - think what is one particularly annoying attack and look for a new item which can prevent it. . .

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by pikaporeon » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:21 pm

As Fighter I generally went all out [make sure you have three swings going - knocking them down is important] and that worked pretty well for me. I had trained up a bit prior, but not really powerlevelling. Just sorta screwing around with Uhura until I was familier with the system and could beat her fairly well.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:22 pm

It's not obvious to most people, but...the ghoul's "focus" ability that causes him to regain mana at a fast rate costs him life energy. But if his mana is low, he'll have no choice but to use it.

Sinergy
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Sinergy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:32 pm

If you know magic and have mana to spare, just force bolt him whether you're a fighter, mage or thief. Considering the worth of the claws, it's fairly cost-effective if you find yourself having trouble going toe to toe with them. If you don't know magic, and you're a fighter, after knocking him down with a swing-inverse swing-overhead swing or whatever, let him get up and vomit all he wants. be prepared for his spitting attack with a shield. When he comes close, rinse and repeat. If you're a thief... well, i assume after you sneak attack him he's pretty much as dead as an undead gets so blow on him or something so he'll stay down

Peteman
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Peteman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:58 pm

If you're a Fighter, get the Saurus boots ASAP and don't let up in your attack. That way he can't spam the Acid counter attack (I swear, I must have jabbed the bastards dozens of times, but if he starts the Acid Spit animation, you can't stop it).

pheeph
Peasant Status

#7 Post by pheeph » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:22 pm

what about dealing with its fire attacks? Sometimes I inadvertently jump when this is about to happen.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:25 pm

The hellfire attack hurts, but it's also pretty slow. The ghoul stretches its arms in a pretty distinctive gesture, the wall of flame appears and THEN it rushes towards you. If you're not the nervous type, simply wait until the fire has formed and then quickly tap up or down to jump over it. Unless you're in the process of getting up, this attack is easily avoided (regardless of dodging skill) and takes a big bite out of a ghoul's mana pool.

Rahul
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Rahul » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:52 pm

An easy strategy for magic users (especially if you have the powered up Force Bolt):

- Make sure you have Zap on your dagger before you enter combat
- Hit him with your zapped dagger so he falls down.
- Back up and charge up your force bolt.
- Before he starts a spell, pelt him with the force bolt causing him to fall down again
- Keep throwing force bolts and pretty much you won't even give him an opening to come close or cast a spell
- If any point, he does get an attack in, Escape, zap your dagger again and re-engage

Beverheim
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Beverheim » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:24 am

Peteman wrote:If you're a Fighter, get the Saurus boots ASAP
How do you get the boots? The katta leather salesman says he sells it, but it doesn't show up in the sales meny when my fighter tries to buy it:(

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:33 am

They'll appear in his shopping GUI after you face your first ghoul. (whether you win the fight or not)

gutsman
Peasant Status

#12 Post by gutsman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:13 am

Dang, I never knew about the saurus boots. Any other cool items you added that I should know about?

That ghoul vomit attack is a low attack, though, so you can give him the old skullsplitter treatment.

Draco62
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by Draco62 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Saurus boots what are those?