Bugs + paladin question.

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

xarcos
Peasant Status

Bugs + paladin question.

#1 Post by xarcos » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 am

Before I query this question, I'd like to point out two minor bugs, and one annoyingly stupid one.
#1 - when leaving Aziza's house, the status bar sometimes becomes inaccessible. This happens in a few other places too, but I didn't document it (oops).
#2 - when approaching the main gate to Rasier's palace near the end, the game hangs.

#3 - This is a weird one. I don't know if it's my machine, but I randomly get speed fluctuations. First off, my speed slider is normally on maximum. Sometimes there's a moderate speed associated with this (which is, in my opinion, too slow, but I figure the designers wanted it to be that slow). However, sometimes it goes into a very fast speed. I actually don't know which is 'normal' and it appears to be quite random. When in the randomly hasted speed, combat is unaffected by the speed slider and just goes blazingly fast, and promptly becomes a bit more difficult to play.

Anyway...

I completed the game as a fighter with 500/500 points. I did everything that a paladin should do, yet Rakeesh didn't throw goats at me at the end. I'm 100% sure I didn't miss anything, except I do know when battling Ad Avis your actions dictate what class you will become -- at least in the original. I remember the fighter's method, but I couldn't prevent him from transforming me with a spell. I had to apply a semi-wizard semi-fighter/paladin method to win. Am I forgetting something?

I did do WIT though. I remember that doing WIT in the original always makes you a wizard, no matter what. Could it be that?

I feel I'm missing something obvious. -_-

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Bugs + paladin question.

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:25 am

#1 is a known bug and will be looked into.
#2 would be difficult to trace unless you have a savegame where the issue can be replicated consistently.

For #3, if you had reversal, the final scene is done the wizard's way, no way around that. Did you do anything less honorable? Playing peeping tom? Failed to find and return purses? Disturb the local wildlife?

Peteman
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Peteman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Ah, the peeping tom bit must have lost me my Paladin hood.

Yep.

MK
Peasant Status

#4 Post by MK » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Peteman wrote:Ah, the peeping tom bit must have lost me my Paladin hood.

Yep.
Strange, i don't remember loosing Paladin hood by doing that in the original game.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#5 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:45 pm

MK wrote: Strange, i don't remember loosing Paladin hood by doing that in the original game.
It's a new change (but one that definitely makes sense).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:18 pm

Goilveig wrote:
MK wrote: Strange, i don't remember loosing Paladin hood by doing that in the original game.
It's a new change (but one that definitely makes sense).
Actually, it's more of a correction. It was supposed to invalidate Paladinhood but wasn't coded properly in the game. The same happens in QfG3 - continuously flirting with the Welcome Woman, especially after you've been informed she's married, was supposed to deactivate the right for a Fighter to become a Paladin. It does not.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Crowley9 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:17 pm

Personally, the peeping bit affecting paladinhood rubs me the wrong way for a couple of reasons:

1. It feels like an easter egg to me, and those aren't supposed to affect gameplay this much.

2. The connection between the x-ray glasses and the peeping isn't made all that clear in the first place. I've heard from several people when they played the game the first few times they would buy the glasses, put them on and forget it later. Then they would be confused as to why you can see through the veil one some playthroughs and sometimes you can not.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by CGG » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Crowley9 wrote:Personally, the peeping bit affecting paladinhood rubs me the wrong way for a couple of reasons:

1. It feels like an easter egg to me, and those aren't supposed to affect gameplay this much.

2. The connection between the x-ray glasses and the peeping isn't made all that clear in the first place. I've heard from several people when they played the game the first few times they would buy the glasses, put them on and forget it later. Then they would be confused as to why you can see through the veil one some playthroughs and sometimes you can not.
True - but that's why you save - and rasier goes by pretty fast anyway. Somebody who has made it to rasier should have figured out to save often by then. As an "easter egg" pretty much everybody knows about it. Also a thing to try - put on the glasses right in front of zayizha.

Another paladin issue though - you can kill the Unich on the balcony of rasier's palace who is unarmed and still become a paladin (when i tried i was my mage character and used a flame dart). I don't know if you could in the first one - but that seems like it should be a disqualifier because (a) he is unarmed and (b) its unnecessary killing.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:07 pm

He's not unarmed...all eunuchs wear swords. It is unnecessary to the degree it's possible (but difficult) to slip by him. I think you lose honor for doing it, but since you're in a situation where the world is at stake, we didn't want to make it an instant disqualifier.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#10 Post by Schloss Ritter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:00 pm

Hmm, maybe when trying to hand her your clothes, (high Honor) characters could get a subtle warning that they are (still) wearing the glasses and be given a chance to take them off first.