The one serious flaw of the new combat system

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Goilveig
Knight Status

The one serious flaw of the new combat system

#1 Post by Goilveig » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:17 am

... that I can't use it in the other QFG games!

You know how hard it will be to go back to QFG1 and play a fighter? The joys of staving off carpal tunnel syndrome while trying to beat the weapon master?

The combat system made me really enjoy the fighter class for the first time, well, ever (I always loved the thief and mage, was always underwhelmed by the fighter).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: The one serious flaw of the new combat system

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:33 am

I liked QFG1VGA's battle system. It had more strategy (or at least timing) than its EGA predecessor, or QFG2EGA for that matter. It was just the weapon master who was a pain, but that was more due to its technical implementation.

Heh, that said, I often used to fantasize about how I'd design the battles with the non-QFG2 monsters, if I had to implement them into a QFG2VGA-like battle system.

meertn
Peasant Status

#3 Post by meertn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:00 am

Erpy wrote:I liked QFG1VGA's battle system. It had more strategy (or at least timing) than its EGA predecessor, or QFG2EGA for that matter. It was just the weapon master who was a pain, but that was more due to its technical implementation.

Heh, that said, I often used to fantasize about how I'd design the battles with the non-QFG2 monsters, if I had to implement them into a QFG2VGA-like battle system.

Wouldn't that be a cool little game, pick your QFG monster and fight it in the QFG2VGA system? Maybe in a Silmaria Arena kind of setting?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:11 am

There wouldn't be anything little about it. Most battle rooms have like 4000 lines of code. The jackal pack room even has more than 10000. That's more than the code in the average AGS game's total amount of rooms combined.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#5 Post by Goilveig » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:32 am

An arena system would be neat. Personally I'd love to be able to fight Khaveen or the three palace guards on demand, those were some VERY tricky fights. Jackalmen just don't prepare you for the guards at all ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:20 am

You mean a "select your opponent"-screen? We used to have such a feature in the game for debug purposes...I used it excessively when testing battles. It looked a little bit like a Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter 2 character select.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Perhaps you could release a mini-game where you just fight. Call it "Quest For Glory 2: Fighter".

Bt

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:00 pm

GLORY COMBAT! <Mortal Kombat movie theme plays>

:rollin

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by CGG » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:18 pm

Erpy wrote:I liked QFG1VGA's battle system. It had more strategy (or at least timing) than its EGA predecessor, or QFG2EGA for that matter. It was just the weapon master who was a pain, but that was more due to its technical implementation.

I totally agree - QFG1VGA had a decent battle system for the reasons you mentioned above, but you guys still put it to shame. Anyway I could convince you guys to remake QG3 with the new combat system - it might actually redeem the whole game for me (of course - its still really guided and the puzzles aren't hard - but it would make those cross-savanna trips won't be nearly as annoying when a dinosaur interrupts). Of course, I'll be ecstatic with just a fighting app where you get to choose you QG2VGA opponent.

Either way it would be cool to be able to try out those moves that you can only get after wishing for more prowess from the Djinn. I could never quite do them right because both final battles are a little tough and its hard to use a new skill reliably.

At any rate - you guys have already gone above and beyond!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:21 pm

Only the final two battles have those extra 3 moves scripted in, so getting to choose the battles at will would still not make much of a difference.

nuble
Peasant Status

#11 Post by nuble » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:40 pm

There're 3 new moves at 250 weapon use? Is it one for each class? All my fighter got was the quad slash.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#12 Post by Goilveig » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Not all are at 250 weapon skill.

250 parry gives you a whirling slash after you parry.

soule
Peasant Status

#13 Post by soule » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:02 pm

There was a problem with the QG1VGA battle system - you die when your stamina runs out... and that's extremely annoying.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by CGG » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Goilveig wrote:Not all are at 250 weapon skill.

250 parry gives you a whirling slash after you parry.
Yes - trying playing around with it. restore right before your wishes and keep wishing for different stats - its fun! (your character IS maxed in all fighter skills, right??)*

* or nearly maxed - i think you still get the extra if you're close. I wished for strenght when in had 196 and still got one - i think - but Erpy can confirm. I've also came back with everything maxed so i could be confusing everything in my head.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:13 pm

Stats are irrelevant. The quadruple slash is gained by having the djinni raise strength or weapon use, the sword dance is gained by having the djinni raise vitality or parry and the cannonball strike is gained by having the djinni raise agility or dodge. Those 3 moves only appear in the last two battles.

gamemaniax
Peasant Status

#16 Post by gamemaniax » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:25 am

Erpy wrote:You mean a "select your opponent"-screen? We used to have such a feature in the game for debug purposes...I used it excessively when testing battles. It looked a little bit like a Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter 2 character select.

i really would like this idea when i wanna make princess maker based on QfG :D

Steamrabbit
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Steamrabbit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Erpy wrote:You mean a "select your opponent"-screen? We used to have such a feature in the game for debug purposes...I used it excessively when testing battles. It looked a little bit like a Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter 2 character select.

So, ah, maybe you could release something that would allow people to put that feature back in, just for fun? I mean, if it's already written and everything. That's not what I would want playing the game through the first few times, but after having done it the 'correct' way, such an option would be a lot of fun.

By the way, I wish you'd set up a PayPal tip jar.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:52 pm

If it'd be enabled for users to access, it'd be a secret unlockable, not an option that was in clear sight.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#19 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:20 pm

Steamrabbit wrote:By the way, I wish you'd set up a PayPal tip jar.
I think that would probably violate their license terms with Sierra over the IP.

However, you can always buy Al Emmo Collector's Edition ;) Waiting for mine to arrive, I hope I still get the poster!

CDA_91
Peasant Status

#20 Post by CDA_91 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Erpy wrote:If it'd be enabled for users to access, it'd be a secret unlockable, not an option that was in clear sight.

:x another hard-to-find easter egg? I only just beat the P.E!

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#21 Post by Schloss Ritter » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:07 pm

CDA_91 wrote:
... the P.E!
Finally! Someone who knows how to subtly hint at a spoiler/egg without ruining it for casual readers. Too bad that cat's already out of the bag though... or should I say, the box(?).

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by Asrai » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Too true. I've been actively trying to avoid spoilers, and yet I know far more than I would like to about the P.E. because it seems like it has been so often mentioned in threads with very safe sounding subject headings. :rolleyes

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#23 Post by Brainiac » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:00 pm

Combat system...and P.E. Is there a high school gymnasium sequence somewhere I'm missing? :lol

Asrai
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by Asrai » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:04 pm

Why yes... Now I probably shouldn't be mentioning it here in this thread, but if you start heading south by southwest in the desert on day 10 you will eventually come across Ali Chica's Gymnasium. If you can beat Harpo at the rope climb you get... well I won't say, I wouldn't want to spoil anything. :p