Importing into QFG3

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

Importing into QFG3

#1 Post by GuJiaXian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:48 pm

I hope this isn't off-topic.

It's been (many) years since I've sat down and played through these games. I've always been a fan of the every-stat hybrid characters, and I'm just about to finish my second play-through of the remake with a hybrid fighter (with every skill maxed out). As I said, it's been years since I've played QFG3, so I cannot remember for the life of me whether I want to import as a paladin (yes, this character qualified) or as a thief. I swear that my character way back when had the grappling hook, which means that he imported as a thief. Then again, I'm 100 percent sure that I was also picking up paladin abilities (healing touch, danger sense, honor shield, etc.) as I raised my Honor score.

So, which one do I want to import as? Really, I prefer the thief lifestyle. I know there's little to do as a thief in Tarna, but there's tons in Mordavia, and I don't want to miss out on the grappling hook. I also want the paladin abilities (and I still remember how to easily raise Honor). So, paladin or thief? Note: this isn't a "which is cooler?" question; I'm just asking which class will allow me to mechanically do the things I remember doing.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Importing into QFG3

#2 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:43 pm

Are you remembering the rope and grapnels specifically in QfG3? If so, it's a Thief. If you remember it just in QfG4, then it's a Paladin, as every class but a fighter gets a Rope and Grapnel in that game. If QfG5, if you're VERY careful, you can get into the Thieves' Guild and buy a regular grapnel and some rope to make a new one (the QfG4 one doesn't come with you and only the Thief is given the Magic Grapnel by Rakeesh).

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by GuJiaXian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks for the refresher. I still can't remember if the grapnel was in QFG3 or not; so, can a character who qualified to become a paladin at the end of QFG2 who's imported as a thief in Wages of War get paladin abilities (given a high-enough Honor)?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:06 pm

Nope. Paladin Abilities are restricted to the Paladin class. Besides, they're determined by Paladin Points, a reflection of Honor.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by GuJiaXian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Huh, I remember spamming dried meat on the thief dude in the marketplace at night and gaining all of the paladin abilities in about five minutes. I guess that I'll play QFG3 as a paladin to gain those abilities, then import into SoD as a thief. Now, as long as my paladin is a hybrid, he can still pick locks and practice doing such in the Laibon's tent, correct?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm not sure. I believe you can still enter the Laibon's hut in a hybrid matchup but I wouldn't recommend taking the Magic Drum. Regardless, it's easy to max all three Thief skills in QfG4.

Also, if you want to double check on whether or not a character who was a Paladin but imports as a Thief can gain Paladin Abilities, just go ahead and import as a Thief. Once your Honor goes up a point, check the other side of the stat screen under Paladin. If that is unchanged, you will never get Paladin Abilities.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by GuJiaXian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Hmm, very true. What's the quickest/easiest way to gain honor (from the beginning of the game, I mean)? The only specific way I remember is to feed the thief, and that requires waiting a day. Now that I think about it, can't you talk about Honor with the Laibon?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Be polite to Rajah. That should get you a few points right off the bat.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by GuJiaXian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:29 pm

But he's such a jerk...oh, fine. I'll be nice. I guess I'll import as a thief, run over to the moneychanger, catch the thief (as a fighter/paladin you chase after him, right?), and then *try* to be nice to Rakeesh's jerk of a brother.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:52 pm

GuJiaXian wrote:But he's such a jerk...oh, fine. I'll be nice. I guess I'll import as a thief, run over to the moneychanger, catch the thief (as a fighter/paladin you chase after him, right?), and then *try* to be nice to Rakeesh's jerk of a brother.
Anyone can chase after him. The class-specific actions are knocking over the fruit seller's produce as a Fighter/Paladin, casting Magic as a Wizard, and throwing something as a Thief. Running after is worth more points than any other action though (but if you want point perfection, you should set your character to run, then knock over the fruit and use a game editor to add in the points for running - this is the infamous point screwup of QfG3).

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by GuJiaXian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:10 pm

Eh, points don't matter all that much to me. I just want maxed-out stats and to experience as much of the game as possible (hence the hybrid character). Heck, I maxed out pick locks and stealth in QFG2VGA with a fighter/wannabe paladin.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#12 Post by Goilveig » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:48 pm

I really recommend NOT doing the hybrid if you want to experience the most out of QFG2 and beyond.

There's just too much class-specific stuff, you really need to do three plays (fighter->paladin, wizard, thief).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Goilveig wrote:There's just too much class-specific stuff, you really need to do three plays (fighter->paladin, wizard, thief).
The Fighter has virtually nothing absolutely class-specific in QfG3, 4, or 5 - just certain actions that are more appropriate and point-giving for the class. Thieves can be duplicated with pretty much any class having Stealth and Pick Locks and thus gaining the Thieves' Sign (though it's difficult for Paladins to integrate). Wizards and Paladins are really the only ones with class-specific events and abilities. In QfG3, the Wizard gets the Shaman Duel and the Magic Staff. In QfG4, the Wizard gets to meet Tatiana while the Paladin gets to quest on behalf of Piotyr (including clearing Piotyr's name and releasing the Rusalka). In QfG5, the only real uniqueness for the Wizard is the three unique spells (Summon Staff, Thermonuclear Blast, and Dragon Fire) while the Paladin gets the Ring of Truth quest and, of course, the expanded set of Paladin Abilities.

Overall, QfG3 and QfG4 are the most "separated" in terms of needing multiple playthroughs rather than just trying things different ways with a multiclass character.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#14 Post by Goilveig » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:50 am

Brainiac wrote:The Fighter has virtually nothing absolutely class-specific in QfG3, 4, or 5 - just certain actions that are more appropriate and point-giving for the class.
Yeah, I think the game is geared towards you making your fighter into a paladin in 2, which is what I always do (I leave the thief and wizard as they are).
Thieves can be duplicated with pretty much any class having Stealth and Pick Locks and thus gaining the Thieves' Sign (though it's difficult for Paladins to integrate). Wizards and Paladins are really the only ones with class-specific events and abilities. In QfG3, the Wizard gets the Shaman Duel and the Magic Staff. In QfG4, the Wizard gets to meet Tatiana while the Paladin gets to quest on behalf of Piotyr (including clearing Piotyr's name and releasing the Rusalka). In QfG5, the only real uniqueness for the Wizard is the three unique spells (Summon Staff, Thermonuclear Blast, and Dragon Fire) while the Paladin gets the Ring of Truth quest and, of course, the expanded set of Paladin Abilities.

Overall, QfG3 and QfG4 are the most "separated" in terms of needing multiple playthroughs rather than just trying things different ways with a multiclass character.
2 also has the various ending paths; the harem route, the "fight guards/kill khaveen" route, or the "levitate/calm" route. 3 has the initiation for fighter/paladin, and the ability to rob the magical artifacts for a thief. And also the differences in the final confrontation with the demon wizard (though the Forbidden City, up to the final room, is the same).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:52 am

Yeah, there are several puzzles that are different depending on class, but I'm talking more about things that wholly don't exist outside a specific class. There are different methods of stopping Ad Avis and the Demon Wizard, but they all end the same way.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by GuJiaXian » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:43 pm

Well, I started QFG3 again last night for the first time in about five or six years. I still remember virtually everything about the game (just wasn't remembering the details about importing, as explained above). After confirming that thieves do not gain paladin points, I started as a hybrid paladin. I figure I'll max every skill that I can and then export to SoD (my favorite in the series) as a thief. I know that as long as you have the necessary skills any class can do the thief quests, but man, I have good memories of using acrobatics in combat and "cannonballing" into necrotaurs, killing them without taking a scratch. Good times. :)
Last edited by GuJiaXian on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hypn
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by hypn » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:52 pm

I would swear I became a Paladin in Qfg3 with my thief character from Qfg1 and (the original) Qfg2... I mean, I understand and agree why a thief can't become one, but I'm almost certain I did. It was years ago, and I don't have the the saved characters, but I only every played the original Qfg games (to completion) as a thief. Maybe it was a glitch in the Qfg2 version I had, or a corrupt save file...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:20 pm

hypn wrote:I would swear I became a Paladin in Qfg3 with my thief character from Qfg1 and (the original) Qfg2... I mean, I understand and agree why a thief can't become one, but I'm almost certain I did. It was years ago, and I don't have the the saved characters, but I only every played the original Qfg games (to completion) as a thief. Maybe it was a glitch in the Qfg2 version I had, or a corrupt save file...
No, Thieves can become Paladins at the end of QfG2 - they just have to miss a fair amount of the quests inherent to their class. However, Thieves that become Paladins in QfG2 and are still imported into QfG3 as Thieves don't gain Paladin Abilities, obviously. As far as becoming a Paladin within QfG3, only Fighters can do that.
GuJiaXian wrote:I know that as long as you have the necessary skills any class can do the thief quests, but man, I have good memories of using acrobatics in combat and "cannonballing" into necrotaurs, killing them without taking a scratch. Good times. :)
I believe anyone with the Acrobatics Skill can launch an acrobatic attack in QfG4 or QfG5.

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by GuJiaXian » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:19 pm

Brainiac wrote:I believe anyone with the Acrobatics Skill can launch an acrobatic attack in QfG4 or QfG5.
Yes, but only thieves get the skill, correct? Or can you "buy" it when you import your character? Man, being able to backflip into a chernovy's face with a flaming sword...perfection.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Yeah. QfG4 gives you the full 100 point pool to use and you can use that to learn a new skill if you wish. In fact, Acrobatics is glitched so that you can add 100, then cancel, then import again, and the 100 points are still there (just don't go over 400 in any one skill or stat).

GuJiaXian
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by GuJiaXian » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:57 pm

Hmm, really? Didn't know that.