Thanks, and the Future

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Bees
Peasant Status

Thanks, and the Future

#1 Post by Bees » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:16 am

I have been following Tierra (*cough*) since the KQ1 remodel, am a huge fan of the KQ2 remake, and loved the HQ2 (screw the lawyers, we should continue to call it that) remake as well.

At first I was a little disappointed in the HQ2 remake. The KQ2 remake did so much more--full voice, NEW puzzles, a better geographical layout, a fleshed-out storyline. Then I realized that the difference was in the gulf--the original KQ2 was good for the times, but was pretty bare-bones. The remake not only updated the interface but also the storyline, because there was ample room for improvement.

HQ2 was already my favorite Sierra game, having played and beaten every one up to and including KQ7 (yes, including Zeliard, yeesh, what fun that was). I realized a couple of things: A) HQ2 was so beloved that each change had a high probability of driving the fans nuts and B) HQ2 had so much characterization and storyline that there wasn't the same room to grow as there was with your KQ2 remake.

In short, bravo, especially on the combat system. HQ2 already had the best combat system of the series and you went and made it better--Which brings me to my...Grand Ideas for the Future!

1) Fix HQ3, 2) Fix HQ4, in brief.

HQ3 had the best art design of any in the series, but the 2nd worst combat system, and introduced the horrible overland map travel system. It felt very empty compared to its predecessors. Puzzles felt few and far between and conversation tacked-on. The apothecary is the only one who even approached the level of development as say, Keapon Laffin.

Please please fix HQ4! It had the worst combat of the whole series. It was riddled with game-screwing bugs. The art wasn't as good as HQ3 but had potential. It had better characterization than 3 but worse than 2. The combat system in 4 was abysmal--I would love to combat its baddies with the system you made for your HQ2 remake. But at the same time, the setting and puzzling for HQ4 had huge potential, so much that many people were able to somehow overlook the many crippling bugs and call it a success. I would love to see HQ3 and 4 done with your style, especially combat-wise, but also graphically, even if it meant technically worsening the graphic level.

HQ2 was one of my favorite games ever, so if I sound critical, please keep that in mind. I am extremely impressed with what your team has done and I would like very much to see more of it. In my mind, the Hero's Quest series went downhill after 2, so these are pet dreams of mine that I share with you, please take them in the spirit given.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Thanks, and the Future

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:50 am

Hey, I loved QFG4's battle system. It gave me a lot of inspiration for this one.

That said, remaking a QFG-game just to fix some bugs or gripes is like purchasing a new porsche every time the ashtray fills up. Totally overkill. There's patches available to help with QFG4's timer bugs, btw.