Fighter/Thief/Mage Hybrid -> Paladin *some spoilers*

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

skace
Peasant Status

Fighter/Thief/Mage Hybrid -> Paladin *some spoilers*

#1 Post by skace » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:52 pm

So I'm doing a run from QFG1 to QFG4 and I realize it's suggested to play through each game 3 times, I'd like to avoid doing that as it would take forever. The idea here is to get the most out of each game in a single run, if anyone has already done this and has a guide, that would be really helpful.

In QFG1, I chose a thief and added parry and magic skills, so a hybrid. Completed the game with 503/500 points.

In QFG2, I've converted my thief to a fighter based on forum posts here. However, I'd like to go Fighter -> Paladin and I'm trying to understand what I absolutely CANNOT do. Here is the excerpt from CyricZ's guide. Does this cover everything in the updated version?

"Killing Khaveen when he's unarmed.
Taking money from Omar's purse before returning the purse.
Having to be reminded (by Uhura) to return Rakeesh's sword. (You must
return it voluntarily.)
Entering the Metal Worker's House in Shapeir or Khaveen's house in
Raseir.
Trying to kill a helpless opponent in your EOF initiation.
Use the X-Ray Glasses where there supposed to be used (you know who you are)."

Also, any tips for QFG3 and QFG4?

I'm assuming the best method in QFG3 would be wizard -> paladin -> warrior if that is even possible?

Thanks.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Fighter/Thief/Mage Hybrid -> Paladin *some spoilers*

#2 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:57 pm

You're in a tough spot there, because as a paladin, you'll miss out on all the cool thief stuff and as a thief, you'll miss out on all the cool paladin stuff. Not to mention the fact that even though playing through the games 3 times takes a long time, it also takes a long time to play through with a hybrid and having to raise every single skill in the book.

My advice would be to simply stick with a class and replay through the series with another class a few months later or so.

Nevertheless, his don't-guide for paladins is complete enough. You probably want to avoid disturbing the griffin too.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Of course, you can choose to change to any of the four classes in QfG3 and QfG4 upon starting as well, so I'd say just play though QfG2 as you like. Fighters are the only ones who can access EOF, Magic Users are the only ones who can play Wizard's Whirl, and Thieves are the only one who get true sneak attacks. Any class with Stealth and Pick Locks can attempt the Thief Missions.

As far as QfG3, again, make your choice based on what specific sidestory you want. Fighters and Paladins have the Simbani Initiation, Wizards have the Leopardman Shaman Duel (which includes the Magic Staff), and Thieves get to steal both the Drum of Magic and the Spear of Death. Note that if you wish to wait until QfG3 to become a Paladin, you can, but you MUST be playing as a Fighter at the start (and you will never get a perfect score that way).

QfG4 is pretty much best for Wizards or Paladins. Wizards get to meet Tatiana, the Fairy Queen, and use the Staff of Erana along with the Resistance spell. Paladins get an extended quest of several honor-based missions on behalf of the restless spirit of the Paladin Piotyr. All Thief-based quests can be covered simply by having all Thief Skills. Personally, I'd recommend Paladin, but playing as that class can make the Thief sidequests a bit tricky (particularly the Honorless actions).

QfG5 is again more or less split between Wizards and Paladins for non-class-crossover actions. Wizards get three spells that can't carry over to any class while Paladins get a small quest to create a Ring of Truth (again, Thief Missions as a Paladin are tricky, but thankfully you have a 75-point buffer between your maximum Honor and losing your best Paladin Ability). Of note is that the Wizard is the only class in the game that can get engaged to any of the available female characters in the game.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Crowley9 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:32 pm

I personally like to import a wizard from 3 to 4 and change class if I want to just so I can get Juggling Lights spell. It isn't of any real use in that game, but I'm a perfectionist like that. I would say QfG3 is the one most worth playing through three times with different characters because each go through different events the others do not.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:38 pm

Crowley9 wrote:I personally like to import a wizard from 3 to 4 and change class if I want to just so I can get Juggling Lights spell. It isn't of any real use in that game, but I'm a perfectionist like that.
You could always wait until QfG5 to get it (or hack the game's variables).

skace
Peasant Status

#6 Post by skace » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:55 am

If you start QFG3 as a Wizard, you can then use your honor to convert to paladin right? Can you then do the Warrior side quest?

In other words, if you are planning to play QFG3 as a paladin, is there any reason not to start as a Wizard and convert to Paladin as opposed to just starting as a Paladin?

Goilveig
Knight Status

#7 Post by Goilveig » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:07 am

skace wrote:If you start QFG3 as a Wizard, you can then use your honor to convert to paladin right? Can you then do the Warrior side quest?

In other words, if you are planning to play QFG3 as a paladin, is there any reason not to start as a Wizard and convert to Paladin as opposed to just starting as a Paladin?
Only Fighters can become Paladins in QFG3.

The wizard's only shot at paladinhood (apart from changing at the import screen) is at the very end of 2.

Ajanhuiri
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Ajanhuiri » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:12 pm

I've just completed my first play-through of the game and I must state I believe Erpy's suggestion is the best.

I loved the thief-hybrid I created (and many others have created) in QFGI VGA. That being stated, QFGII has purposely been designed to give specific experiences to each class. With the exception of the Magic User class, I think these unique experiences are well-balanced between fighter and thief.

As a thief (but stat-maxer) I went throughout the game building all statistics including honor, and did max-out honor even after seeing Zayisha naked and moving forward. Along the way I killed the griffin, captured the fifth elemental and blue frog, became a wizard (albeit not in Aziza's eyes) and fully maxed out all spells also. Actually, I was fully maxed by sunset on the fifth day.

There are many places to give flowers, but while I do like the message for giving Sheema flowers after she dances (you must order food to get her to come to your table), I can't think of a better recipient than Uhura. If you're stat-maxing you need to spend about a day+ to raise your stats so taking care of this communication/honor with her is simple time-management.

Some have suggested there is a specific death sequence for the griffin with the thief (although this may be same for other classes), but I don't plan to kill it again, so I don't know. Also, to not break into the different venues would really suck. As seeing Zayisha naked is kind of a Leisure Suit Larry tribute I wanted to include it with the style of my character through to the end of the play-through.

After breaking into Khaveen's house (+ Zayisha) your honor drops to 190/200. However, if you are considerate this goes back up. Also, I gave Omar's purse back to him full. (Dude, that guy isn't making a lot of money and why would I steal from a holy man?)

Insofar as magic users, not getting to play wizard's whirl and gain the enhanced flame dart were minor concessions. I look forward to that opportunity next, but it was an easier thing to bypass on my first round.