*spoiler* Katta Tail Inn Key and honor among theives

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

oxygen1234
Peasant Status

*spoiler* Katta Tail Inn Key and honor among theives

#1 Post by oxygen1234 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:39 pm

I don't remember this key being in the original, although I could be wrong about that.

I found out you can sell this key to Dinarzad, which is interesting. Understandably you lose a LOT of honor for doing this. Are there any consequences for having low honor other than that guilty feeling inside and not being able to become a paladin?

I also wonder if there are any other consequences of selling the key. She is going to clean out the storage chest in my room isn't she?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: *spoiler* Katta Tail Inn Key and honor among theives

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:52 pm

No, if Dinarzad were to send a "jackal" in there to loot the place using the key you sold her, it'd happen after you already left. The only consequence for this particular action is the honor loss and the knowledge that you backstabbed some of your closest friends for a wee bit of money.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Erpy wrote:The only consequence for this particular action is the honor loss and the knowledge that you backstabbed some of your closest friends for a wee bit of money.
Fighter/Wizard/Paladin: Never!

Thief: How "wee" we talkin' here?

:lol

oxygen1234
Peasant Status

#4 Post by oxygen1234 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:23 pm

30 dinars, give or take based on how well you can bargain :lol

I don't think I will do it. I THINK I have SOME honor.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Yeah, I mostly implemented it because there were several moments in the series where you had the ability to do something downright nasty. In QFG4, you could murder the chief thief or keep the sole possession that Nikolai was attached to. In QFG5, you could blackjack goon guards and then slit their throat while they were helpless. I figured I'd implement an opportunity for the hero to be really vile in this game too.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Erpy wrote:Yeah, I mostly implemented it because there were several moments in the series where you had the ability to do something downright nasty. In QFG4, you could murder the chief thief or keep the sole possession that Nikolai was attached to. In QFG5, you could blackjack goon guards and then slit their throat while they were helpless. I figured I'd implement an opportunity for the hero to be really vile in this game too.
Ah, the infamous Honorless actions of QfG4. I always found it odd that you don't lose your Honor by keeping Nikolai's memento - you only lose it after putting it back and then trying to take it again...but it doesn't appear in your inventory. I presume this Honor drop is pretty strong - is it a new "Paladin nixed" action?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:36 pm

Yeah, it's a disqualifier and it's harder on your honor stat than sucking blue frogs.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by CGG » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:55 pm

Wait - you get POINTS for this?? I thought AGDI didn't want to change the point system . . . ????

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:18 pm

They didn't change the basic points system. They made a few changes to the Paladin Points system as well as a few new disqualfier actions.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by CGG » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:50 pm

Brainiac wrote:They didn't change the basic points system. They made a few changes to the Paladin Points system as well as a few new disqualfier actions.
I just sold the key and got points for it . . .

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:03 pm

The thief gets points for fencing an item. Apparently, the key counts for that, but you'd normally get the points from the items in a break-in house.

Prio
Knight Status

#12 Post by Prio » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:56 pm

CGG wrote:I just sold the key and got points for it . . .
You also lost points -- from a different place. (Check your character sheet.)

gamecreator
Knight Status

#13 Post by gamecreator » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Erpy, if a non-canon event now gives you points, what normal event(s) did it take away from? Also, what other points changes were made?

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by ATMachine » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:12 pm

I don't think it took away any points; Thieves get points for selling something valuable to Dinarzad, regardless of what it is. In the original game you didn't have a key to sell, so you had to get the points by pawning the stuff from break-in houses.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:44 pm

Yeah, selling the key first just means you won't get points upon selling any of the items you pilfer from the homes of your victims.

tianuk
Peasant Status

#16 Post by tianuk » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Was Nikolai the old guy? I remember robbing the house of some old guy who lost his wife, just to get some money, I thought that was probably the harshest thing I had seen in the game. QFG 2 and 4 remain my favourite of the whole series :-)

techie775
Knight Status

#17 Post by techie775 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:26 am

That's a new low. I didn't even think of this because it's downright cruel. What was the point of helping Shema and Shameen get their stuff back if you're going to sell them out? I mean there were some points where I didn't think the hero theives' character was very helpful robbing everyone but he had somewhat of a conscience on him. It be fun to have a quest where someone tries to rob the inn and you have to play detective and catch him...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:45 am

Relax. It's an optional thing to do and the money you get comes with a particular harsh punishment. There's a second in-game use for the key other than opening the door that will give you a little bit of honor.

OmerMor
Peasant Status

#19 Post by OmerMor » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:05 pm

Giving the key back to Shema & Shameen before leaving to Rasier?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Yep.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by CGG » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Yeah - i missed that in my paladin play though (since it was my first one and didn't even think of it). not a big deal since i had max honor (i didn't span anyway - was just polite throughout the whole game). But it is kinda ironic that in my thief play though i returned the key (yes, i just didn't have the heart to sell it for a mere 30 dinars when I already had 800 AFTER buying all the extras - figured it was worth it to have a little honor - i had to leave Khaveen 200 dinars to stay underweight and keep the bird - since its worthless, he did quite well . . . ), but kept the key when i became a paladin.

I like to think my paladin returned it before going to tarna . . .