Jackalmen pack bug

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Jackalmen pack bug

#1 Post by DrJones » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:35 pm

I was fighting a pack of five jackalmen, when one of them jumped out of screen. When I defeated his friends, he jumped again into the screen. I was waiting for him to come in line so I could finish him off, and what's my surprise when he starts attacking me from the side of the screen! :eek

But if I attacked the air in front of me, he would make the noises of being hurt. Seems there's a bug in the positioning/graphic displaying of jackalmen. I couldn't make a savefile during combat, though, but I did a savefile just before it started.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Jackalmen pack bug

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:16 pm

I've seen it before. Only issue is, there's no way to replicate it, so I have no idea what exactly goes wrong.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#3 Post by Solarkid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Yep that happened to me 3 times now.

Except, for some reason no matter how many jackal man packs i fight, I never get more than 3 fighting me in a pack. :(

Dave

Goilveig
Knight Status

#4 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:59 pm

I had the desynched position actually with Uhura once. I kept swinging at her and whiffing, then I stepped forward (and ended up inside of her sprite) and I could attack her as normal.

Don't really recall but think it happened when she got knocked down exactly as she moved forward or was trying to move back.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Erpy wrote:I've seen it before. Only issue is, there's no way to replicate it, so I have no idea what exactly goes wrong.

I don't know AGS and I haven't seen the source, but from my experience, it seems the repositioning function fails, throws a valor that you don't check, and then you activate some flag to consider it "in line" with the player, even though it's still in other place.

It might also be that the bug is the jackalman going away from the screen. And the code that manages relocating just assumes the coordinates are inside the screen.

Also, sometimes, when a Jackalmen has died, the next one changes positions many times (left, down, etc.) before putting "in line". I don't know if that is intended behavior, but mention it if that could be related with the problem.