How do I "tell" people things, not "ask" them??!!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

shera1981
Peasant Status

How do I "tell" people things, not "ask" them??!!

#1 Post by shera1981 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:48 pm

In the old school QFG, I would just hit spacebar or something and it would say, "What do you want to do" which would leave you open to say whatever, like "Tell someone..." or "fight" or whatever.

Now, we have the little icons which I am not used to (I am really old school, lol) and whenever I use the "lips" and click them on a character, the box just pops up, "ask..." and now I seem to not be able to talk to the astrologer, etc. Is that the case or should I just ignore that it says "ask" before I type what I want?

Thanks! ;)

NeoSnax90
Peasant Status

Re: How do I "tell" people things, not "ask" them??!!

#2 Post by NeoSnax90 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:53 pm

Click the mouth icon on the Hero to tell people things.

shera1981
Peasant Status

#3 Post by shera1981 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:27 pm

WOW. I feel like such a knob. :o

Ok, thanks that worked....hahahaha

Flying Tentacle
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Flying Tentacle » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Never played the original QFG games which had the point-and-click interface (like QFG1new, QFG3, etc.)?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:20 pm

it's not entirely apparent if you hadn't played 3. Number one just had you mumble to yourself.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#6 Post by DrJones » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm

I finished QfG3 with all three clases without knowing I could do that (which is the reason I didn't became a paladin in that game), by the way. It's not that apparent.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#7 Post by Goilveig » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:44 pm

DrJones wrote:I finished QfG3 with all three clases without knowing I could do that (which is the reason I didn't became a paladin in that game), by the way. It's not that apparent.
Pretty sure that's not possible. At the very minimum, you need to do it on the mage route to convince Johari to take you to the leopardman village; her normal dialog options are insufficient because you can't ask about certain things until you've told her, and you don't have the Drum of Magic to show her. Also, when you have returned the Drum of Magic, you need to use that to ask for the Spear of Death.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#8 Post by DrJones » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Goilveig wrote:
DrJones wrote:I finished QfG3 with all three clases without knowing I could do that (which is the reason I didn't became a paladin in that game), by the way. It's not that apparent.
Pretty sure that's not possible. At the very minimum, you need to do it on the mage route to convince Johari to take you to the leopardman village; her normal dialog options are insufficient because you can't ask about certain things until you've told her, and you don't have the Drum of Magic to show her. Also, when you have returned the Drum of Magic, you need to use that to ask for the Spear of Death.
Mmmm... now that you mention it, the Mage route was played by my brother. Maybe he knew that you could click the mouth icon on yourself. I must replay this game.

Goilveig
Knight Status

#9 Post by Goilveig » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Yeah, you'd miss out on quite a few points & honor on the fighter/paladin and thief routes, but now that I think of it, the mage route is probably the only one that absolutely requires it.

QFG4, on the other hand, absolutely requires the use of that system, as you can't do the bit with Toby and Tanya.

shera1981
Peasant Status

#10 Post by shera1981 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Flying Tentacle wrote:Never played the original QFG games which had the point-and-click interface (like QFG1new, QFG3, etc.)?

It sounds funny but I never did. :o I actually haven't played one of these sierra games since I was a kid. I used to play the Police Quest, the first one, Leisure suit larry, Colonels Bequest, and my fav: the King Quest's, the last one I played was my fav, the Perils of Rosella. But then I don't know, I just grew out of playing them. I am not a computer game person, but then a few days ago I decided to look up the old games for fun and found this site! I am totally addicted again...lol I only ever played the first quest for glory and I loved it. My fav part was the tree with the glowing fruit on it. That was so cool as a kid!!! :) What I loved about the games was getting to ask questions, etc. Now, my little brother plays these games and it is just shoot this, shoot that, I find sierra games so witty and fun to play, even if they're super old!

kukamukies
Peasant Status

#11 Post by kukamukies » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:08 am

It would be impossible to finish QfG3 in any class without clicking the mouth on yourself, because you need to "call out" to Johari in the jungle. I had no idea about clicking on yourself to speak the first time I played QfG3 either, and was stumped and wandering around unable to figure out the rustling noise in the jungle when I accidentally clicked the mouth on the hero and then was able to progress in the game.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#12 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:12 am

I got stuck on that part of QFG3 for many weeks the first time I played too. I knew about clicking the Mouth icon on the Hero to "tell about", but the vagueness of the text messages meant that calling out never crossed my mind, so I never tried it.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#13 Post by Solarkid » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:46 am

Right, see quest for glory 1 vga remake? Is there anyway to leave erasmus's house without pissing him off?
You can't say goodbye because clicking the mouth on the hero just makes him mumble, so you have to stand up and then erasmus goes.
"Not in MY house you don't" and teleports you away.

Used to always annoy me so much.

Dave