QFG2 easter egg-getting to Rasier without the Caravan

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

BigCows
Peasant Status

QFG2 easter egg-getting to Rasier without the Caravan

#1 Post by BigCows » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:35 pm

It's technically possible to reach Rasier just by travelling through the desert normally. You head left until the mountains disappear to endless desert, north until you reach another mountain side, then left until you see the entrance to Rasier. Once you're there, you can't get in without a Visa although you can try to show them your Dinar's club card or talk to them.

Just curious if you guys knew about this easter egg and were planning to include it in the update, it's relatively obscure.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:03 pm

Yup, it'll be possible (and also vice versa).

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#3 Post by Peter Swinkels » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:07 pm

Any idea how far left you would need to go? I have tried with the character running at high speed for minutes on end... No gap in the mountains. They just go on and on....

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:16 pm

From the Shapeir overlook, you walk down until you hit the wall on the other side of the desert. Then walk left for while (turn the speed up!).

Eventually, the rock wall will drop back further to the north. When this happens, walk north until you hit the wall again, and then continue left again at high speed until you reach the overlook of Raseir.

BigCows
Peasant Status

#5 Post by BigCows » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:10 am

Very cool, you guys clearly know your stuff. Looking forward to re-experiencing the game with all the stuff you decide to add, just being able to navigate dialogue without a parser will lend itself to a lot of possibilities. Asking about rumors in the original was something I didn't pick up on for a while. Keep up the good work, I've got an imported fighter/thief/magic user ready for when you finish.

If I were re-doing the game myself, one of the things I'd probably focus on would be fleshing out or adding a few things to the Rasier section, you're basically left killing time until a certain number of days pass at which point events proceed automatically, even the thief only has a quick quest to perform. It would have been nice for a few more things to explore or keep you busy, although it obviously can't be Shapier or even essential to the plot given your time constraints there.

One thing I am curious about myself though is whether you'll still need to make some things parser based, and how information sensitive some puzzles would be. For example, for Aziza's quiz the challenge is basically spelling out or figuring out the answers from scratch, multiple choice might seem a bit cheap. There are a lot of topics and options to bring up (such as fish with Keapon) that could make for a crowded dialogue tree. And since in the original you're allowed to ask about Julanar before you ever even meet her the vga version might have to make the conversation trees based upon whatever information you have at the time, such as QFG4.

Suffice it to say I'm looking forward to it, hopefully while I'm still young(at heart).

oriel
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by oriel » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:11 pm

Any idea of how many game days it takes?

Oriel

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#7 Post by Vroomfondel » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:00 pm

Dinar's club card
:eek  :eek  :eek

Did I miss something?!

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Amayirot Akago » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:02 am

BigCows wrote:For example, for Aziza's quiz the challenge is basically spelling out or figuring out the answers from scratch, multiple choice might seem a bit cheap.
They'll prolly do that bit with a parser window, like the gnome's name in KQ1VGA.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#9 Post by Peter Swinkels » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:43 pm

Any idea of how many game days it takes?
Good question. Any idea any one?

EDIT:
btw:
How many screens wide is the gap in the mountains? Also wouldn't it be possible to teleport there using the game's debug mode? If only I knew how to start the debug mode...

EDIT:
Never mind, I just got to Rasier. Fortunately the hero automatically stops at the gap in the mountains. I probably wouldn't notice with the screens flashing by at high speed...
Last edited by Peter Swinkels on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:09 am

Ironically, it can be reached (by walking/running) in less than one game day, I think.  

Funny, considering that it takes a week to get there via caravan and saurii travel is supposedly faster than on foot.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#11 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:46 pm

I managed to reach Rasier in less than a game day by foot, and yes it is strange that the caravan takes longer to reach Rasier. The caravan was held up by robbers or something though, but that couldn't have cost them a week, could it?
Quote:
Dinar's club card
Did I miss something?!
It's probably a pun on "DinEr's Club Card", which is a creditcard if I'm not mistaken. DinArs are what you pay with in QFG2. I think it's displayed only when the hero tries to enter Rasier if he has come on foot instead of with the caravan. The hero has no visa if he goes to Rasier on foot, and so he improvises by showing his DinAr's Club Card. So the joke seems to imply that the hero is either trying to buy a visa or to bribe his way into Rasier without a visa.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#12 Post by Vroomfondel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:58 pm

Ahh, so that's the explanation. I knew that dinars were the currency of both cities, but I didn't know that you'd do that if you go to Rasier.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by gargin » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:19 pm

Wow, I am amazed this is possible. I remember doing the same as other people and running along the mountain range until finally giving up. Only things I ever found in the desert was Julanaar, and that weird caged monster that you can dispel to find a little bit about your enemy. Just reminds me of how incredibly open ended this game was. Although I could have done without the insane amount of map navigation when in the city.

Vroomfondel
Knight Status

#14 Post by Vroomfondel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:40 am

It's not too difficult once you have the map. You just "look map" and then click one the image of where you wish to go, although you do need to find things like EOF, WIT, the Astrologer and Aziza's house. I hope the navigation system in the streets is a little easier in the remake though.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#15 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:50 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Ironically, it can be reached (by walking/running) in less than one game day, I think.  

Funny, considering that it takes a week to get there via caravan and saurii travel is supposedly faster than on foot.
It actually takes something like 11 days to get there, or maybe 10. He starts the journey on day 16 or 17 (I forgot) and reaches there on day 27.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. It's interesting to be able to go to Raseir, but I don't think the hero could actually do anything even if you did cheat to get the visa early.

haradan
Knight Status

#16 Post by haradan » Thu May 04, 2006 7:44 am

Sorry for resurrecting threads, it's just that after so many years playing QFG2, I'm shocked at what I just found out.  :eek

Paladinlover wrote:
It's interesting to be able to go to Raseir, but I don't think the hero could actually do anything even if you did cheat to get the visa early.
Now THAT'S an interesting idea.

I had already done the travelling to Raseir many years ago, but I didn't know about the debug mode back then. So now I did it again and got my visa early with the cheat. The result? VERY interesting... :D

You are allowed into Raseir. You can stay at the Blue Parrot all the nights you want... of course, I suppose elementals keep appearing back in Shapeir so I guess you'll eventually die if you don't stop them (I went between the air and earth elementals, so I had a lot of days to do it).

Nothing happens in the streets, you can prowl all over Raseir all day and you have no arrest of Ugarte, no Zayishah, nothing at all.

All conversations in the inn remain the same, i. e., you talk with Ferrari the first day you arrive and meet Ugarte, and the second night Ferrari tells you about Ugarte's arrest even if it hasn't happened. After day 3, the "conversation" remains the same every day ("It's been a pleasure dealing with you, sir").

You can leave anytime you want to, your saurus will be waiting outside.

This is what I did, just to spice up my current game: after dealing with Air elemental and watching Shema dance, I went to the desert with 3 full waterskins and enough rations. I travelled to Raseir, entered and refill my waterskins at night with Ugarte (a little pricey, but I was almost out of water after that long journey). I spent the night at the Inn, and departed back to Shapeir the next morning. Almost a daytrip, but the game felt completely new for me after 15 years of playing it!

Now, I was travelling with a fighter, but I'm pretty sure the thief could break into Khaveen's house and perhaps even return to Shapeir with the Blackbird! Of course, I don't know if this will bug the game when I return to Raseir on day 28, but it was such fun.

Did anybody else try this? Does anybody knows if the game will bug indeed?

I suppose this won't be possible in the new game, unless AGDIs let us know their debug code (which could be something like "Erpy's Razzle Dazzle") :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Debug code

#17 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 04, 2006 12:37 pm

haradan wrote:I suppose this won't be possible in the new game, unless AGDIs let us know their debug code (which could be something like "Erpy's Razzle Dazzle") :p
Nah; I'm thinking they'll be a hidden inventory item to trigger the debug mode...say, a blue frog that shows up at the oasis? :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Thu May 04, 2006 12:45 pm

We're still considering whether to include the debug mode or not. It's definitely D guaranteed way to cause lots of bugs that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#19 Post by Paladinlover » Fri May 05, 2006 8:31 am

Now, I was travelling with a fighter, but I'm pretty sure the thief could break into Khaveen's house and perhaps even return to Shapeir with the Blackbird! Of course, I don't know if this will bug the game when I return to Raseir on day 28, but it was such fun.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I think I'll try it sometime. :)

But one thing I have to say. Unless you actually give Ferrari the Thief sign, he won't give you the job, and if he doesn't, he won't let you go out at night to steal it (or for any other reason, I might add). So if you're going to try to get the bird, it's best if you just lingered around in the alleys until nightfall before sneaking towards Khaveen's joint and swiping the bird.
We're still considering whether to include the debug mode or not. It's definitely D guaranteed way to cause lots of bugs that wouldn't otherwise exist.
I understand your concern in this regard and I wouldn't really feel cheated (in a manner of speaking...) if the debug mode isn't in. There really isn't THAT much use for getting items that you couldn't get otherwise, anyway.

To top it all, the miracle of Game Wizard would probably enable me to start QFG 2 with a tip top character (or at least, master his skills at warp speed) before I really have to work hard to improve them. Of course, I'll play fair the first one or two times, but that's just because I want to imerse myself more in the spanklingly restored game! :D

Till next time stay cool :smokin

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Debug

#20 Post by Brainiac » Fri May 05, 2006 12:19 pm

Erpy wrote:We're still considering whether to include the debug mode or not. It's definitely D guaranteed way to cause lots of bugs that wouldn't otherwise exist.
It's not like it has to be in there.  After all, QFG1VGA didn't have a debug mode.  However, it did have the new money glitch and still kept the lockpicking "cheat" (and that at least should still be in QFG2VGA).

haradan
Knight Status

#21 Post by haradan » Sat May 06, 2006 6:38 am

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the debug mode to be in the new version, and it's not necesary at all, even if it's funny.

I enjoyed KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA without any debug/cheat mode and I don't see any reason I wouldn't enjoy QFG2VGA without such thing.

I was only remarking how amazing this game is, that still surprises me after so many years. I mean, the Raseir easter egg could be simply programed to show you the Visa joke and sent you back to the desert if you arrived anytime before day 28, BUT NO, the game is "intelligent" enough to act differently if you DO have a visa (a thing entirely impossible by normal playing). So the game actually responds to things it shouldn't respond to.  :eek It's just amazing, and new proof (if you needed more) that QG2 is indeed one of the greatest adventure games ever made.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by Crowley9 » Mon May 08, 2006 3:02 am

Paladinlover wrote:
Sounds like an interesting idea. I think I'll try it sometime. :)

But one thing I have to say. Unless you actually give Ferrari the Thief sign, he won't give you the job, and if he doesn't, he won't let you go out at night to steal it (or for any other reason, I might add). So if you're going to try to get the bird, it's best if you just lingered around in the alleys until nightfall before sneaking towards Khaveen's joint and swiping the bird.
I'm not certain, but I think that Khaveen's bedroom won't be safe for burglary unless you've gotten the assignment from Ferrari.

Thyme in Lost
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Thyme in Lost » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:29 pm

I know I'm new here, but after reading this topic, I tried going to Rasier and used the debug mode to get the visa.  I was able to get the Rasier, but even with the visa, the guards still killed me and I had no time to bribe.  I'm using QfG II, from Anthology CD. They as took out the Infinite gold from selling the Beard to Keapon.

Also, the return trip was easy. Go to other side of mountains, go a couple screens over and type "Go Home".

In my many years of playing QfG II, I only learned about the "Go Home" command in the last month.  If your in the Desert on your mount, you can type "Go Home", and you'll show up in the desert, over looking Shapier.

Thyme in Lost

xlynx
Peasant Status

#24 Post by xlynx » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:23 am

Paladinlover wrote: It actually takes something like 11 days to get there, or maybe 10. He starts the journey on day 16 or 17 (I forgot) and reaches there on day 27.
I think it depends on your computers clock speed. There were lots of speed issues in the old sierra games.

ck25
Peasant Status

#25 Post by ck25 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:09 am

The only Easter Eggs I like are funny ones. A bad "easter egg" is something that allows you to cheat in the game. I think walking to Rasier is a cheat - or a bug.

Speaking of bugs, wierd stuff like infinite Dervish beards should go too.