Awesome remake, but a few things that kinda annoy me

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Kotskoets
Royal Servant Status

Awesome remake, but a few things that kinda annoy me

#1 Post by Kotskoets » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:45 pm

First of all, I really love the remake (especially the great fighting system) and I'm not trying to insult your hard work or anything, but in terms of the graphical updates there are a few things that REALLY bother me. I do not know if this has been mentioned yet, but i have not seen a topic on it and couldnt find it.

I'm talking specifically about the close-up views when arm wrestling Issur and sitting at the table with Ferrari. Obviously the animated parts in these views are based on the original fairly closely, but man it looks horrendous. The static parts look fine though, but the animating parts really damage the whole experience for me because it looks almost worse than the EGA counterparts. I also have some issues with a handful of the character portraits, but thats probably personal preference. The two scenes I mentioned earlier are, however objectively horrible.

I know its really minor parts of the game and all and probably doesn't deserve this kind of ranting, but its really bothersome. Here's some problems I have with it: It looks really grainy and weird, the shading makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, the character faces doesn't match the portraits (mostly true for Ferrari) and the hero at Ferrari's table looks like his skull is about to collapse. Aziza's table closeup looks great though, but it just bothers me that in her portrait her eyes look away from eachother a bit like a frog (but thats very minor and not as easy to spot)

I guess what I'm suggesting is that if you ever consider making a slightly updated version, keep those things in mind. Heck I'd even redraw those parts for you without even being credited when I have a little time just because I think it spoils those scenes so much. It'd probably just be a matter of replacing the sprites then.

Just to reiterate though, I really love the rest of the game and I'll probably play it for a third time soon.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Re: Awesome remake, but a few things that kinda annoy me

#2 Post by Spikey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Actually, now that you mention it, I thought it was slightly annoying that our one and true Djinnie didn't have a portrait, but just his entire body as a portrait instead...

....just a minor thing though.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

Re: Awesome remake, but a few things that kinda annoy me

#3 Post by ATMachine » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:55 pm

The full-body Djinni portrait was actually carried over from the original game: his sprite appeared within the text boxes whenever he was talking to you while you made your way to the Ritual Chamber.