Erpy, is there a Blue Frog Mode ???

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Noa
Peasant Status

Erpy, is there a Blue Frog Mode ???

#1 Post by Noa » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:19 pm

I couldn't understand from your answer in the other thread if you deny that such mode exists, or you just don't want to reveal how it can be unlocked?
A simple denial will give peace of mind to me and the rest of the people that spend days and nights torturing that little amphibian friend.
We already know that you can "suck blue frog" if you use the (empty) bellows on the blue frog in the oasis.
We also know that you can return the captured frog to the oasis for a few Honor points, and that's the only in-game use for it.
What we don't know is if some forum members here are just teasing us with a legendary F10-activated mode, or if such mode really exists.
Again - a simple denial or confirmation will suffice.
Thanks,
Noa.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Erpy, is there a Blue Frog Mode ???

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Come on, you don't honestly expect a straight answer, do you? :lol Wild Goose mode can be so much more entertaining!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:02 pm

I'll probably have plenty of time to spare the upcoming years confirming stuff. Right now, I'm content to sit back and let people figure things out for themselves. We're adventure game players, after all.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#4 Post by Schloss Ritter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:06 pm

Teacher, this test you made is TOO HARD! Can you pleeeease give me the answer to #27 cause I can't figure it out myself and don't want to try. Oh and can I have the answers to #1-26 also?

No?

Okay, I'll just copy off of this guy next to me...

*a few days later*

I got an F?! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????!!!!eleventyone

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by CGG » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Erpy wrote:I'll probably have plenty of time to spare the upcoming years confirming stuff. Right now, I'm content to sit back and let people figure things out for themselves. We're adventure game players, after all.

Thanks Erpy - most of the easter eggs out there are very findable if you're looking for fun things to do walking around the game.

Although, you might want to cut off some of the red-harrings on the forum if they come from out of left field and involved lots of time and will just lead to frustration (thinks of hours spent staring at Shapier's grates in the streets for a turtle lair). Not asking for confirmation or denials- maybe just make clear that people should ACTIVELY send people on really involved missions that don't exist.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Ah, but then where's the fun of figuring out what's real and what's a hoax? I realize I'm coming across as a bit sadistic here, but I actually thought that turtles story was hilarious...or at least the fact people took it seriously. This forum is already a reliable way to get information on 98% of all the stuff we hid in the game over the years. I don't mind if that percentage becomes 90% or so.

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by ATMachine » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:51 pm

It's somewhat less amusing when you guys (AGD2, for instance, is guilty of this) actively participate in helping to mislead people. ("Thanks for giving it away, Sinergy!" in regards to the turtle lair leaps to mind here.)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:32 pm

Good point. Although it is a good indicator of how desperate people can get.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#9 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Hey, people demanded hints. I provided them. However, I didn't necessarily say those hints would always be accurate. ;) I took a leaf out of Bruno's book. I made my own stance known pretty early on, regarding giving away too many hints when the game is still relatively new. It took a long while to put all that additional content in there, so I'm hardly going to be the most willing person to aid in helping others uncover it all in a matter of days. Besides, the turtle lair thing WAS hilarious. I only wish it lasted for much longer!

In a nutshell, this means you can choose to trust our hints (hey, SOME of them are easy to decipher) at the expense of risking time wastage by trying to find an easy way out. The moral of the story? In the end, it's always better to play for yourself to find out whether these things are true. Not every secret needs to be discovered and confirmed right away, and with the fast-spreading nature of information over the internet, sometimes a little misdirection is the only thing keeping some secrets still hidden. Though, truthfully, I never expected THIS one to be so elusive!

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by ulmont » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:I never expected THIS one to be so elusive!
Is it just beating the game with a character with all stats and spells at 200?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#11 Post by Spikey » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Well, my advise is; don't devote too much of your time to it. I've only devoted like 10 minutes to the blue frog so far.

The false hints have seriously discouraged me to devote time to mysterious leads, especially when they are enforced by AGDI members; it's quite senseless if the possibilties are high that it's a waste. Already have too little time to play games. This is time you should be devoting to a 7th playthrough.

soulfire
Peasant Status

#12 Post by soulfire » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:19 am

Lol well i can tell you if you type in suck blue frog into the parser talking to Abdulla it will reset your stats to 5.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#13 Post by Schloss Ritter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:38 am

soulfire wrote:Lol well i can tell you if you type in suck blue frog into the parser talking to Abdulla it will reset your stats to 5.
Cool, I've got to try and beat the game after doing that some time... now which class to choose...

gamecreator
Knight Status

#14 Post by gamecreator » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:57 am

I now know how to unlock Blue Frog mode (an indirect way). PM me if you would like to know as well.

soule
Peasant Status

#15 Post by soule » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:56 pm

I didn't really walk through the streets because I was very skeptical about the turtle lair; none of the players could provide a screenshot when I asked.
I agree it was somewhat hilarious from your point-of-view, but you really have to be sensitive to the fans. I really felt bad for the enthusiastic fans who walked through the streets of Shapeir from day to night, and for many days! I don't think that's funny at all - especially for the fans who believe the words parsimoniously (but I suppose it teaches everyone a lesson about accepting everything as fact, even trusted resources).
I could take it with a pinch of salt and laugh it off, but seriously, to the mass audience, it was not a pleasant experience. Try to appreciate the situation from a detached point of view.
I am a psychologist by trade and I was quite surprised to see that even among a group of supposingly mature adults (such as ourselves), there are still instances of flaming, accusations and humour. It's really quite fun. :lol
In conclusion, a tasteful joke shouldn't be at the expense of others; there are many avenues to seek fun! Remaking QG2 created lots of fun for people.
QG2VGA was really excellent! I enjoyed myself reliving the experience again, and seeing the character portraits. ;)
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Hey, people demanded hints. I provided them. However, I didn't necessarily say those hints would always be accurate. ;) I took a leaf out of Bruno's book. I made my own stance known pretty early on, regarding giving away too many hints when the game is still relatively new. It took a long while to put all that additional content in there, so I'm hardly going to be the most willing person to aid in helping others uncover it all in a matter of days. Besides, the turtle lair thing WAS hilarious. I only wish it lasted for much longer!

In a nutshell, this means you can choose to trust our hints (hey, SOME of them are easy to decipher) at the expense of risking time wastage by trying to find an easy way out. The moral of the story? In the end, it's always better to play for yourself to find out whether these things are true. Not every secret needs to be discovered and confirmed right away, and with the fast-spreading nature of information over the internet, sometimes a little misdirection is the only thing keeping some secrets still hidden. Though, truthfully, I never expected THIS one to be so elusive!

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by ATMachine » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:30 pm

Yeah, the fact that the AGDs' response when people are spending fruitless hours following false leads to Easter Eggs is not only to laugh in amusement, but even to perpetuate the misinformation, rather decreases my respect for them. It's not very professional.

I could understand that certain cranks in the forum could find twisted humor in such actions, but I would really expect better from the people who spent the time and effort programming in the secrets. What good is your work if no one ever discovers it?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:04 pm

I don't think things are that severe just yet. AGD2 played along with one hoax (involving one of the most major hidden features in the game) that was so ludicrous I figured most people would just roll their eyes at it. I went even less far, mostly just rolling my eyes. It's not like there's been a massive amount of hoaxes in the forums. Aside from the "turtles"-one, I'd say most information in the forum is actually quite accurate. Sure, there's not much of a point in hiding things that are never found, but with ever new thing that's discovered almost immediately becoming public knowledge, how many things are bound to be never found? Even if the odds of finding something are 5,000 to one, the laws of probability still say a handful of people have stumbled upon them by now and made it public. It would be a shame to hide something in the game that's never found, but I have no issues hiding something in the game that's simply not found in the first few months.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#18 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:21 pm

Nope, still don't feel bad about it one bit! For the simple fact that it's only a game and these are optional things that took FAR longer to implement into the game, than it took for people to uncover and share them via PM with others who didn't bother to look themselves. If you're gonna feel sorry for the fans, then by that same token you gotta feel even more sorry for the game developers because we spent much longer putting it all together. :lol

In the end, it's just a game and the player is making their own decision to seek out optional extras. Your life won't end if you don't find them. It's all in good fun, but I think people take it a bit seriously at times. Besides, if you don't have the patience to seek out the eggs without hints (be they true or false), chances are you wouldn't have found them anyway, so there's no harm done. In the 80's you couldn't rely on instant gratification, hearsay, and speculation to help you find hidden secrets in games; for the most part, you had to use your own brain or otherwise let those secrets remain hidden forever. What's different here, other than people being frustrated at not getting the instant gratification expected in the Internet age? Whatever I say, it should have no bearing on the traditional way of finding easter eggs. If you're a determined adventure player, you'll find them regardless. And even if you don't, you'll still be able to finish the game and enjoy it.

ATMachine, are saying you've never played April Fool's joke (or something of that nature) on someone before? I'm sure in one years' time when all the secrets are well-and-truly out in the open, you're not really going to be dwelling on the time the nasty AGD allowed a forum member to send some other players on a bit of a wander through the Shapeir alleyways for 2 horrible days. Dude, it took 7-8 years to put half of this stuff in the game! A prank that lasts a couple of days is nothing in comparison. Don't worry, time will heals all wounds and you'll get over it. (And I'd do it again too, I tell you!)

There's another reason too which is more technical in nature. Cheats can cause the game to crash if you're not familiar with what you're doing. By design, we've put measures in place to ensure that only experienced players would be able to unlock certain modes in an attempt to reduce the possibilities of phantom bugs from being reported. If people choose to share these things with newbies as soon as they find the solution, then that instant gratification doesn't encourage those newbies to thoroughly explore the game by themselves first. This means we risk having to spend time tracking down phantom (non-existent) bugs that were the direct result of tampering players, and not an actual fault that existed in the game itself.

So please, guys, consider this before you share these things willy nilly with just anyone. We really don't want to spend time looking for glitches that don't exist on account of inexperienced players reporting them. We made some things hard to find for a reason.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#19 Post by Gronagor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:25 pm

ATMachine wrote:Yeah, the fact that the AGDs' response when people are spending fruitless hours following false leads to Easter Eggs is not only to laugh in amusement, but even to perpetuate the misinformation, rather decreases my respect for them. It's not very professional.

I could understand that certain cranks in the forum could find twisted humor in such actions, but I would really expect better from the people who spent the time and effort programming in the secrets. What good is your work if no one ever discovers it?
Wow. That IS childish.

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by gargin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:29 pm

I really don't see why what Erpy or any of the AGD's are doing is a big deal. Erpy isn't the official QFG2:VGA Hint Book and there is no reason why he or anyone else on the team should give out information on the game.
When purchasing a game people don't just call companies and tell them TELL ME ALL THE EASTER EGGS NOW! Easter eggs are there to be discovered by the players and if they don't all get discovered than eventually maybe the developer will leak it but until then why would they spoil the fun.
As for the perpetuation of the turtle lair, well that was just plain funny and considering they just spent seven years designing a game I think they deserve a little laugh here and there ;)

Gargin

gamecreator
Knight Status

#21 Post by gamecreator » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:04 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:There's another reason too which is more technical in nature. Cheats can cause the game to crash if you're not familiar with what you're doing. By design, we've put measures in place to ensure that only experienced players would be able to unlock certain modes in an attempt to reduce the possibilities of phantom bugs from being reported. If people choose to share these things with newbies as soon as they find the solution, then that instant gratification doesn't encourage those newbies to thoroughly explore the game by themselves first. This means we risk having to spend time tracking down phantom (non-existent) bugs that were the direct result of tampering players, and not an actual fault that existed in the game itself.

So please, guys, consider this before you share these things willy nilly with just anyone. We really don't want to spend time looking for glitches that don't exist on account of inexperienced players reporting them. We made some things hard to find for a reason.
This makes it sound like you're technically supporting Blue Frog Mode. Is that really the case? Because it is incredibly easy to mess the game up using it. For example, teleporting into fountains, messing up animation sequences, etc.

On the other hand, if you're not supporting Blue Frog Mode, then the whole thing is a non-issue and I'm sure you can tell from a save game file if someone used the mode. Simply treat it like you do hex editing and tell people it's not supported. I don't think anyone would blame you and there would be no problems that I could see.

Sharpshooter
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Sharpshooter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:06 pm

I thought the turtle thing was a joke the first time I read about it, but Sinergy actually managed to make it believable after a few posts, and I ended up sending him a PM, just in case. I suppose I should thank both Sinergy and AGD2 for the joke, since it actually led me to a few minor easter eggs (like the Kyrandia 3 reference).
Oh, by the way, the whole team did an amazing job. I haven't got a lot of spare time right now, but I still managed to finish my first playthrough as a Paladin Fighter. The new combat system is very good - you weren't kidding when you said we'd find it awesome. ;)
A few bugs I noticed :

1) Saving in Sitt Tarik made my menu forever disappear.
2) Killing the Griffin caused a major display glitch on my computer - the bottom of the screen wouldn't refresh anymore. I got rid of the bug by saving then reloading.
3) The statue in Ad Avis's chamber didn't attack my Fighter (I believed it was scripted to attack Fighters in the original game).

Is it possible to go from Shapeir to Raseir (and vice-versa) without taking the caravan in the remake? I haven't succeeded yet, but maybe I haven't tried hard enough. I noticed that Salt says something interesting when you give him the registration papers for the green saurus, so I wanted to go back to Shapeir in order to give him the registration papers for the red combat saurus, just to see what would happen.

I'll give more feedback later, but right now I'm going to bed.

CalJS
Peasant Status

#23 Post by CalJS » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Battle
Blue Frog

dunno how to hack game cus i only program in C++ or Basic baby maybe abit of turbo pascal

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#24 Post by Spikey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 pm

Well, I'm no newbie, and I would never even think of asking through PM; basically I've been skimming for superficial hints to easter eggs and new things, which was enough. I knew the brigand in the alley thing was real, because I had experienced it myself, I only needed a superficial hint to complete the sidequest.
Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote: In the end, it's just a game and the player is making their own decision to seek out optional extras. Your life won't end if you don't find them. It's all in good fun, but I think people take it a bit seriously at times. Besides, if you don't have the patience to seek out the eggs without hints (be they true or false), chances are you wouldn't have found them anyway, so there's no harm done.
It's not really about patience, life ending, or seriousness (cause I'm not all that serious when it comes to other things than psychology). When I don't find the easter eggs, it's because I work 43.5 hours from monday to friday, and on top of that spend 15 hours in public transport on average during the week to get to work and back home. Just very little time :D. So even if I pursue false hints for only a few secs, it's already a (relative) waste of precious playtime in my life. I'm only still working on my second playthrough. I mean, I waited anxiously for this game for so long (and am very thankful), but I won't be wasting another sec on possible hoaxes. That's all.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:I suppose I should thank both Sinergy and AGD2 for the joke, since it actually led me to a few minor easter eggs (like the Kyrandia 3 reference).
I must have missed that one. Can you give me a nudge on finding that? I always liked the Kyrandia games.