Did the remake maintain the neutrality of classes?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

Did the remake maintain the neutrality of classes?

#1 Post by bugmenot » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:32 pm

QFG3 was always the first game in the series that broke the neutrality of classes. That is, the hero could still be hybrid but certain main plot elements were only available to certain classes.

Does the remake of QFG2 ever look directly at your class to decide if you can do something? Or is it 100% neutral (which means it only cares for your specific skills regardless of your class)?

If the answer is yes, it's still 100% neutral, then if I have a hybrid hero with equal skills, is there any reason in the world to prefer another class than fighter (who has a sword and a shield, which can be put in the storage chest if needed)?

CGG
Royal Servant Status

Re: Did the remake maintain the neutrality of classes?

#2 Post by CGG » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:07 pm

bugmenot wrote:QFG3 was always the first game in the series that broke the neutrality of classes. That is, the hero could still be hybrid but certain main plot elements were only available to certain classes.

Does the remake of QFG2 ever look directly at your class to decide if you can do something? Or is it 100% neutral (which means it only cares for your specific skills regardless of your class)?

If the answer is yes, it's still 100% neutral, then if I have a hybrid hero with equal skills, is there any reason in the world to prefer another class than fighter (who has a sword and a shield, which can be put in the storage chest if needed)?
There are a few instances (and this is probably a non-exhaustive list) - which might be *spoilers* so don't scroll down if you want to not know:

1. There are two new wizard games (like Mage's Maze in QG1) - one with Keep on Laughing and the other one with Aziza. You can only play with Aziza if you are a wizard (even if you have magic ability).

2. Only theifs can do the sneak attack - if you are sneaking around the desert and throw a dagger at a monster - you do a LOT of damage to it. Other characters can sneak and ambush monsters, but without the damage bonus.

3. Fighters get new combat moves that aren't available to other classes no matter how high their stats.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by bugmenot » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:30 pm

It's too bad for points 2 & 3, but I guess the developers already had the thinking that Sierra only developed in QFG3 and above. At least they were fair enough to break neutrality only when it came to their own original additions (most importantly, the paladin is still neutral).

So assuming you covered everything, which is the best class in your eyes (if all skills are equal)?

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by ulmont » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:59 pm

bugmenot wrote:QFG3 was always the first game in the series that broke the neutrality of classes. That is, the hero could still be hybrid but certain main plot elements were only available to certain classes.
QFG2 had at least one class-specific plot point originally: only a fighter can join the Eternal Order of Fighters.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:18 pm

The thief mission in Rahat's home was originally a thief-only mission and originally, the warrior's diary quest was only for...you guessed it. (heck, fighters are the only ones who can completely fill it in, there's several battles exclusive for them) I've always been a purist regarding QFG. Luckily for the hybrid-fans, I'm not the only one who has a say about the content of the game.

That said, the fighter is the most versatile in the game. If he has all skills, he can finish WIT, do all thief-quests and get through the end-game using all 3 paths. The only things you miss out on are Wizard's Whirl, powered up flame darts and the ability to backstab. As a fighter with zap, sword techniques and potentially powered up force bolts and dazzle, you really don't need the backstab or powered up flame darts to kill stuff.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#6 Post by Schloss Ritter » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:58 pm

By the way, why is it more accessible to power up the newer spell (FB) than the older one (FD)? Also, it seems kind of strange to me that a character associated with Water gives you more power with Fire...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Because force bolts are weaker, hence the "ultimate magic attack" is reserved for those who have the wizard's class. As for the irony...would it really have been more suitable for an air wizard to boost flame dart? :)

Also, flame dart is not used in Force Bolt Flurry, but it IS used in Wizard's Whirl, so that spell gets a boost. Likewise, Force Bolt is only used in Keapon's game, not in Aziza's. So things were thought out.

Luna
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Luna » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:23 am

Hm... I never had an issue with Aziza teaching the upgraded flame dart, no more than I would have if Keapon had. They may be specialized, they may have an affinity for a certain element..... but at the end of the day they are still Wizards. Everyone starts somewhere and picks up new skills along the way. So I imagine they both had some knowledge of the spell at one point. Aziza makes more sense for me ... because well... she's not a Gnome, and not prone to practical jokes. She's more the practical magic type. So having a large arsenal and experience outside her element makes sense for her.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:27 am

Also, Keapon mentions he doesn't care for the flame dart spell very much if you ask him about it.

Crowley9
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Crowley9 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:02 am

Too hot to handle, Force Bolt's my candle.

Prio
Knight Status

#11 Post by Prio » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:58 am

Erpy wrote:Because force bolts are weaker, hence the "ultimate magic attack" is reserved for those who have the wizard's class. As for the irony...would it really have been more suitable for an air wizard to boost flame dart? :)
Honestly, the "water wizard teaches you flame darts" thing bothered me during beta; I was going to suggest that the game explain it by saying Aziza had a Scroll of Buff-Ur-Flam or something sitting around, and she gives it to you because she really doesn't have much personal use for it, she being water-focused and (probably) not a combat-type wizard.
But I sorta never ended up bothering.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:35 am

Erpy wrote:Because force bolts are weaker, hence the "ultimate magic attack" is reserved for those who have the wizard's class. As for the irony...would it really have been more suitable for an air wizard to boost flame dart? :)

Also, flame dart is not used in Force Bolt Flurry, but it IS used in Wizard's Whirl, so that spell gets a boost. Likewise, Force Bolt is only used in Keapon's game, not in Aziza's. So things were thought out.

I so did get the flame dart boost earlier than the force bolt boost. :lol