Feature: Alternate points

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Feature: Alternate points

#1 Post by DrJones » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:31 pm

The game is full of hidden features (I'm avoiding spoilers), but when you do something special, it's easy to miss it as there's no audio clue/points added.

I understand that adding points to the original score chart is a bad idea, but I've thought that a separate score chart for extra features could be added. That way, if I finish the game and get 33 points of 50 (for example), I'll know if I missed something you guys added to the game, and if I got the full 50 points, I won't have to keep looking for more. Awareness is the reason the point system was implemented on the first place.

But I think I'm too late, as you have already released the 1.1 revision (which I'll download once I finish the game with my fighter), and I imagine you want to give the code a rest. :lol

By the way, the extra moves of the fighter are über-fun! By the time I got the moves that require the special key, I found them unreliable and risky (with default layout, anyways), yet I still try them from time to time. :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Feature: Alternate points

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:58 pm

The problem with assigning points to them is that players will start seeing them as mandatory while they're meant to be very strictly optional.

And yeah, special-key moves are generally hard to pull off, but they cause a lot of hurt. Plus they're all kinda flashy. I'm still kinda waiting for someone to post that he managed to get the right timing to knock three guards to the floor in one go with a well-timed sword dance. Practically impossible to pull off, but very nice to see.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm not that far in the game, but I got five jackalmen on the same heap. The message the game gives when you look at them is awesome. :p

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by bugmenot » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Erpy wrote:they're meant to be very strictly optional.
Don't these optional things build up your abilities like in standard battles?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Depends on what kinds of actions you're performing them.

gamecreator
Knight Status

#6 Post by gamecreator » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Why don't you make the Easter Egg points itself an easter egg? That way it's pretty clear that it's optional. Or put a message in the game saying so. Or anything.

Yeah yeah. I get it. You just don't want to do it. But it would be nice.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by bugmenot » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Erpy wrote:Depends on what kinds of actions you're performing them.
I meant if the easter egg involves a combat, doesn't it raise your abilities like a standard combat?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:49 pm

It does. But you don't get puzzle points for doing any optional stuff. Those are the points they were referring to.