Grammar Police

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

Grammar Police

#1 Post by Xandarius » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:23 pm

I can't remember if this was in the original version or not, but when entering the saurus lot, the guard often says something like "May thee walk safely this evening." It should, however, be "May THOU walk safely this evening." 'Thou' is a subject pronoun; 'thee' is a direct object pronoun. It may be that the guard is just using bad grammar, but it seems surprising in a game that takes place in an Arabian Nights context that someone would misuse it.

By the way, a good way to test whether to use 'thou' or 'thee' is to replace it with 'he' or 'him'. "May he walk safely this evening," sound right. "May him walk safely this evening," sounds quite wrong.

Thanks to all involved for this fantastic game. This is the most immersed I've been in a game in over a decade.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Grammar Police

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Yeah, it was like that in the original game too. We decided to keep it intact. In the same way that the Quakers superseded 'thou' with 'thee' in all instances, even if it was grammatically incorrect. I think it's probably just creative license on the Coles' part. Plus, it's one of those quirks from the original that has nostalgic value, so I didn't want to change it.

However, this reminds me of another tough grammar issue we faced. The original game always referred to the bellows as "it" instead of "them". There seems to be a LOT of confusion about whether to refer to bellows as a singular or plural item. In the end, I decided to refer to the bellows as plural, because these particular bellows visually have two symmetrical parts (the handles), just like scissors or glasses do. On the other hand, more modern bellows can resemble a square-shaped unit without handles, looking somewhat like an accordion. For these square bellows, referring to the bellows as "it" would be more appropriate. I just found this funny because it was the first time I could think of where an object's visual appearance determined the correct grammatical usage surrounding it!

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Xandarius » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Wow... I didn't even know about the Quakers exclusively using 'thee'. And I didn't even notice the inconsistency with the bellows while playing the original, nor did it ever occur to me that there were two forms of bellows, one that may seem plural, and one that may seem singular.

I guess you guys don't really need a grammar police at all. You obviously know you're stuff. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. All of the new story in KQ2+ was grammatically flawless and articulate.

Thanks for replying.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#4 Post by DrJones » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Xandarius wrote:I guess you guys don't really need a grammar police at all. You obviously know you're stuff.
Ackkkk!!!

Solarkid
Knight Status

#5 Post by Solarkid » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:42 pm

HAHAHaa brilliant!

Well spotted dude

Dave

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Xandarius » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:35 am