QFG2 Remake Source Code / Alternate builds?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

lovloss
Peasant Status

QFG2 Remake Source Code / Alternate builds?

#1 Post by lovloss » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:38 pm

I'm as fully a Linux-only user as a vegetarian is a veggie-only eater. I'm just respectfully curious why the source code for this game is not available, since it was more or less community made. If the source code was available, I could probably get it to compile and run locally here in Linux; it's slightly clunky in Wine, if working. That or an alternate build on the website for Linux users would be nice.

BTW, I understand that the actual game engine is being used in commercial games, but if it were me I'd just slap a license on the code that let me showcase any other games people make with the engine. Bring in extra traffic, point big giant arrows to the game I'm selling, etc. :rollin

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: QFG2 Remake Source Code / Alternate builds?

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Well, there's actually already a Linux port of the AGS run-time engine, but we haven't really investigated porting the game to it. I'm not even sure if the Linux port is updated to the same version of the AGS editor that we used to compile the game. It might not be compatible with AGS 2.72. I haven't really had time to check into it.

As for the source code, releasing it isn't an option as parts of our game are based on the original QFG2 source code which belongs to Vivendi. We don't have legal permission to release those details. But even if we did, we still wouldn't want to release our version's source since that would be tantamount to granting an open invitation for people to start modifying the game and releasing their own versions. Also, the game wasn't made by the community. It was developed privately by AGD Interactive under a special license granted from Vivendi Games.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:12 pm

In the end, if you want to port the game, you don't need the game's source code, you need the engine's source code.

lovloss
Peasant Status

#4 Post by lovloss » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Ah so it uses a proprietary program, I gotcha. Its too bad Viv won't publish the code then. I never understood or agreed with holding source code back for free software, no offense. Though from what I understand that company has been, historically, very wasteful with their source code and have even thrown it away entirely, much like certain employees ( *cough* Al Lowe )

Anyway a port would be good. If it's as simple as a recompile, that is. If it's a complicated process that would take more than a day or so, you guys probably shouldn't bother, since the Wine compatibility layer DOES run it with some very minor tweaking. The only problems I have are that the intro video doesnt run though - it says my computer cant play videos or something, lol - and that scene changes have a brief pause before opening a new region. Not big issues, though I wonder what that video was :)

BesterP12
Peasant Status

#5 Post by BesterP12 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:29 pm

It says the linux port is up to 2.72

You can try to see if it works by following these directions.

Basically copy the QfG2VGA folder to your linux machine, put the Linux version of AGS in that folder, rename the game's exe to ac2game.dat, run setup, start ags and the linux version will try to play it.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm not sure if that would work. I believe we used a special version of AGS 2.72 that was modified to support more variables. Or was it more functions? Can't be exactly sure.

lovloss
Peasant Status

#7 Post by lovloss » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:53 am

Nah, im cool using wine. Its really not that bad. I have to switch to 16 bit mode, but i have to do that anyway to run Septerra core :3