Wipe computer, lose saves?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jediknight
Peasant Status

Wipe computer, lose saves?

#1 Post by jediknight » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:16 am

I discovered that I had one of those new-fangled computer bugs, and I decided that the easiest way to get rid of it was to wipe my hard drive and start fresh. (it gives you that new computer smell, very nice) Anyway, the only things that I grabbed off of the drive before I wiped it were some tax stuff, my glory1.sav file, and the qfg2 saves that I had recently made (agssave .001 through .049). I then redownloaded the game and placed the old saves in the directory I made for it. BUT WAIT! When I go to restore any of the saves, it shows the little picture of where I am, but upon hitting restore the game closes and I get this error message:

An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS. (ACI version 2.72.920) Error: Restore_Game: Game has changed (views), unable to restore position

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Any suggestions? Is this a built in game sharing deterent? I just don't want to go all the way back to the beginning after I already freed the beast. Even though this is a great game and remake, there's only so much grinding that I can take.

Goilveig
Knight Status

Re: Wipe computer, lose saves?

#2 Post by Goilveig » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:35 am

Did you save the games in the 1.0 version and reinstall the 1.1 version?

I'm not sure if savegames are compatible between the old version and the newer release.

I'll wait for an official word on if that's your problem and if they still host the 1.0 version, but if necessary I still have the 1.0 installer on my machine and could upload it.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 am

Yeah, savegames between versions 1.0 and 1.1 are NOT compatible. In order to restore your old savegames, you would have to reinstall v1.0 again.

jediknight
Peasant Status

#4 Post by jediknight » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:20 pm

o-rly? Well then an upload of v1.0 would be fantastic. Is there some fatal error that was in version 1.0 that prevents me from completing the game? Because otherwise, I can handle the bugs if it means I get my few weeks back.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:06 pm

Here's a link to v1.0. There are no real game halting bugs or crashes that cannot be avoided. Most fixes to v1.1 were cosmetic, although a few rare crashes were attended to. But all are easily overcome if you remember to save often.

jediknight
Peasant Status

#6 Post by jediknight » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 pm

That was it.

Thank you, profusely. Profanely even, if you prefer it.

Now to beat up that mud monster