Is it necessary to buy a saurus?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

Is it necessary to buy a saurus?

#1 Post by JLM5 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm playing QFG2VGA with Magic User, being at day 3. As the saurus was very expensive and I though I could travel on the desert well enough without it, I made a decision to play the game without buying it. Because I had not very much money (and battles are really difficult), I decided to spend my money on more useful thing, like spells and mana/health pills.

For my surprise, I suddendly died at the town's gate when returning from the desert, and got a message that I should have bought the saurus. Is this some kind of joke? If yes, it was impossible to laugh, cause I had to restore a much earlier game as I hadn't enough money at this point to buy saurus.

Does this mean the hero hasn't freedom to decide, where he spends his money? I could understand if I had forgotten some important item, but the Saurus costs 50 dinars (very much), and after all, I can walk on the desert very well with my own feet. Does it really is necessary to buy?

Excluding that, awesome remake after all! :)

Ps. I haven't played original QFG2 EGA very much.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Is it necessary to buy a saurus?

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:15 pm

That last line confirms what the rest of your post already suggested. The "terminal stubborness"-death is directly from the original. If you keep turning down Ali Fakir, it eventually pops up. You can complete the game without ever leaving the town gate, although you'll miss out on a lot. Best thing is to simply buy the saurus. 50 dinars is a lot, but you can bargain him down to 5 dinars so it's a minor expense and for plot reasons, you definitely want to buy the saurus.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by JLM5 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:19 pm

I have currently 13 dinars. When I tried to buy saurus from Ali Fakir (my thought was to bargain price below 13 dinars), he simply said I haven't enough money. That is, I couldn't even get to the window where I could bargain price below 13.

How much money do I need?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:39 pm

If you're using combo or parser, simply answer his questions. His first question was: "do you want to buy a saurus?" His next questions will be "will price x be acceptable". A yes or no will suffice. The bargaining window never appears with Ali Fakir.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#5 Post by Solarkid » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:22 am

Heh heh, when i first played the remake i forgot that the saurus had a time limit to buy so when i got the this screen for the last time i had 2 dinars on me and also managed to save my game just before leaving the screen. Making it impossible to advance in the game :)
Saurus merchants really are deadly.

Dave

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#6 Post by Paladinlover » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Question: In the original QFG 2, you could bargain him down to 5 dinars... how do you do this in the remake? Seriously, the guy's lines and the whole situation was simply too hilarious to have gotten rid of it.

Till next time stay cool 8))

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 pm

Click the mouth on yourself and type (or select) yes, no or maybe.

FamousAdventurer77
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by FamousAdventurer77 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:46 am

The lowest I was able to haggle it down to was 10 dinars. But I'll take the designer's word for it.

Just keep rejecting his prices with the regular talk icon, then he'll start getting all hard up about selling the Saurus.

And the Saurus is just too cute to stay mad at.