Cheat Mode

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

2_Late
Peasant Status

Cheat Mode

#1 Post by 2_Late » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:36 am

Before you read any further, if you don't want to know about the cheat mode, leave the thread.

There, naysers :) , anyone that reads further wants to know more, and don't be shy. That or they don't know what they're reading and you could post the next 7 winning loto numbers and no one would know:)

Personally, I've no interest in spending many many hours rebuilding my skills from the original. I looked for a cheat mode, and I suspect one is there, but every time it was ask, the answer was withheld with a giggle. Which is just baffling and infuriating to me. You don't ask a question you don't want the answer to. If you didn't want the answer the question would have never crossed your mind. You could say that someone stumbling on this thread could 'mistakenly' learn how to cheat, but that doesn't make sense to me. Cheating doesn't make you a cheater, it just proves you are one already.

If you're going to cheat you are, if not it wouldn't matter if someone had the entire source code in front of them.

So I ask you, point blank, and for the record: If there is a cheat mode, how do you enable it?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Cheat Mode

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:11 am

Cheat, no. Debug, yes. There's two debug modes, but both have to be separately "unlocked". If you finish the game under the right circumstances, the corresponding debug mode is unlocked for use in future playthroughs. (but, you need to obviously finish the game AT LEAST once on your own)

For one mode, just search the forum for "blue frog". I think it's been mentioned outright at least once somewhere.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:39 am

As Erpy said, those are unsupported debug features, and must be used with caution as they can perfectly break the game (and close it without warning). They are only unlocked if certain conditions (that I don't know) are met after beating the game at least once, so you will have to endure a playthrough without cheating. Cute punishment to aforementioned cheaters. :lol

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by CGG » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:17 pm

DrJones wrote:As Erpy said, those are unsupported debug features, and must be used with caution as they can perfectly break the game (and close it without warning). They are only unlocked if certain conditions (that I don't know) are met after beating the game at least once, so you will have to endure a playthrough without cheating. Cute punishment to aforementioned cheaters. :lol
er

I'll also add that a complete playthough (or three) are well worth the time without cheating - i didn't start searching for these modes until after I beat the game with a pure character of each type. Each character has new things going on which really add to the game. I think the reason why its sort of withheld is that you really do yourself a disservice by not not playing around with it first.

As for unlocking the debug modes, follow Aziza's advice ("if you seek something, you must use the very thing you wish to find"). if you want skills - prove that you are skilled. If you want combat, prove your worth with the sword.

2_Late
Peasant Status

#5 Post by 2_Late » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:55 pm

Personally, I've no interest in spending many many hours rebuilding my skills from the original.
Great answers!

Not the question I asked.

How are debug mode(s) unlocked?

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#6 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:58 am

It is perfectly possible to beat the game without maximum skills, and Erpy already told you that you need to finish the game to get Debug Mode. If you're too lazy to finish the game legitimately at least once after all the hard work that was put into it, then forgive some of us for being too lazy to help you cheat. Also, click on the link above marked "Search" and use it to look for a thread about "Blue Frog" (the old code phrase for the original game's cheat mode). You may be pointed more in the right direction there.

2_Late
Peasant Status

#7 Post by 2_Late » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Thank for the information.

I've looked at what I think that thread is three times. Once before posting, once after, and once again just now. All I gathered from that is it may have something to do with having the blue frog from the oasis.

Yes, and I am being lazy. It's entirely possible to max all the mage's skills and stats (+parry +throwing +stealth) without cheating. With most of it done before the second elemental. You don't even need that much power to win the game. I've just done that before, I'm doing it now. I've had it, I've done it, and I want it again. I'm just not happy about spending the literal days needed to do it again. I'd much rather just have that character now, and move the story along.

So, I not only owe an apologie, but a belated thank you. So thank you and sorry.

Still, my question stands, please without the remarks, How are the debug mode(s) unlocked? It's a simple question that has a simple answer.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:51 pm

This thread contains a post from someone who pulled it off.

2_Late
Peasant Status

#9 Post by 2_Late » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:26 pm

I maybe short, but don't think I'm not grateful. It was a different thread then what I was looking at, but it still leaves the question.
All I gathered from that is it may have something to do with having the blue frog from the oasis.
No two posts agree.

So max stats and skills, and win the game with the frog to unlock one of the two debug modes?

Better question, and one that I hopefully already made clear. I don't want to spend the next week or more or on a bare bones play though again! I'm sure someone things that's barrels of fun, but not me. I love stories, and to a lesser degree working on skills. I don't like spending weeks on skills.

How is 'Blue Frog' mode enabled?

Let me save you some trouble , pretend I'm thick. If my first post didn't give you that impression, I'm just looking for someone to come out and tell me the answer. I will not say the game will not be fun if I don't have things maxed, but it's a lot more fun when I can, at some point, just say "Enough of that. The journey is fun, but I want to journey to be over.", and focus on the game without that concern.

Edit: I'm not one of those people that likes to solve a puzzle that took me a long time to solve. I like to disassemble and study puzzles. I give up on puzzles that take to long and move on to bigger and better things. If I wished to be forced into solving a puzzles I'd be playing a game called "Real Life" ;) Puzzles designed to just frustrate attempts to solve it make me angry, and all the more so when I finish them and realize that really was it's sole purpose.

Tifas Revenge
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Tifas Revenge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:01 am

I'd love to know how to unlock both Debug Modes.... no one has told me yet. Only thing I have to go by is maxed stats/spell skills and have blue frog in inventory and all points at Endgame, as well as all monsters fought and killed at least once on hard mode, including the 5th ele.

But yes, I agree with 2_late. A straight answer is better than beating around the bush. Once I do find a straight answer though, I'll make it public on Youtube, so that's probably why Erpy and others are holding out on me LOL :) But no matter. In my current (2nd) Let's Play as a thief, if I don't get it by the end of the game, I'll make sure I go back myself and load older games until I do and then upload the videos entailing what exactly I had done, and this will be done before my next Let's Play.

However, if I am told to keep things secret, I will honor my half of the bargain. Of course, trusting me is the key though ;) I did give out my physical mailing address to the poster dude here at AGD, so if that isn't enough to trust me, I don't know what is.

- Tifas Revenge (John)

papste
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by papste » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:46 am

----- !!!!! SPOILERS !!!!! -----

Im not sure what the EXACT conditions for unlocking Blue Frog Mode + Battle Mode are, but i will tell you what i did to unlock it.

1. Started the game with a fighter
2. Used the bellows to get the blue frog from the oasis and made sure i kept the frog in the inventory till i finished the game.
3. Completed the game with a perfect score of 500/500 (or 550/550 if i choose to be a paladin).
4. Made sure that all my skills were maxed at 200/200.
5. Completed the warriors diary sub quest.
6. Made sure that my warriors diary included all possible encounters meaning i had beaten the creature at least once in default combat mode - not easy (Brigand, Jackalman, Ghoul, Desert Scorpion, Terrorsaurus, Uhura, Walid, Earth Elemental, Griffin, Rakeesh, Palace guard, Sweeping Sir James, Pizza Elemental, and Khaveen).

Those things unlocked both modes for me, tho i don't think you have to go that far (probably the conditions needed are much simpler).

You can probably unlock the modes with ANY class and that leads me to the conclusion that the only actual prerequisites are finishing the game with a perfect score and maxed stats having the blue frog in inventory for the first mode and having beaten the pizza elemental for the second mode.

If you have successfully unlocked Blue Frog Mode and Battle Mode you will hear a frog sound or a sword sound (or both depending on the modes you have unlocked) when you fire up the game just before the welcome screen comes up.
Pressing F10 will bring up Blue Frog Mode and pressing F4 will bring up Battle Mode. Those modes will not work with your existing save games (You need to start a new game from scratch).

Hope that helps and keeps people busy playing the game for awhile.

If everything else fails then PM me and i would send you the 2 files needed to unlock both modes, but that would take all the fun out of figuring things out yourself.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:51 am

The good new is you don't need a specific class or specific alleyway system to unlock either. That would have been too cruel.

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#13 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:02 pm

Erpy wrote:The good new is you don't need a specific class or specific alleyway system to unlock either. That would have been too cruel.

This rules out having to do the Brigand / Diary sidequest, since that is not available in the Simplified Alley system ;)

Also, it's impossible to both fight the Griffon and get a maxed Paladin score, so one or the other of those is not a factor.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by papste » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:55 pm

OK so you don't have to complete the warriors diary or kill the griffin and you can unlock the modes with any class.

Having this in mind i can elaborate on my previous post and narrow it down to the following:

Probably the only actual prerequisites for unlocking Blue Frog mode and Battle Mode are finishing the game with a perfect score and maxed stats having the blue frog in inventory for the first mode and having beaten the Pizza Elemental (in default combat mode) for the second mode.
Still unsure whether you need to defeat any creatures other than the pizza elemental to unlock Battle Mode.

Tifas Revenge
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Tifas Revenge » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Well, I'm gonna make sure to beat each guy in Hard Mode, including Pizza, and get maxed stats (honor will be hard now that I have fenced the key to the inn LOL, but maybe not since I know an exploit in v1.0 to get more honor quickly that was patched in v1.1). Khaveen, City Brigand, and the Griffin I guess is ruled out, thank god (Erpy) for that huh?

- Tifas Revenge

papste
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by papste » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:18 am

I don't think you need to have honor maxed as a thief, that would be too cruel too imo. You probably need to have your class specific skills maxed as well as the main stats. Also since Erpy ruled out the subquest and having to be a specific class, and since you are playing a thief now Tifas we can rule out the city brigand, the griffin, Walid, Khaveen, Rakeesh, and probably the palace guards as well (since the only way you can get a perfect score with the thief is going through the harem and not through the main palace entrance).

Tifas Revenge
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Tifas Revenge » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:43 am

papste wrote:I don't think you need to have honor maxed as a thief, that would be too cruel too imo. You probably need to have your class specific skills maxed as well as the main stats. Also since Erpy ruled out the subquest and having to be a specific class, and since you are playing a thief now Tifas we can rule out the city brigand, the griffin, Walid, Khaveen, Rakeesh, and probably the palace guards as well (since the only way you can get a perfect score with the thief is going through the harem and not through the main palace entrance).
Okay, so basically, the only monsters I need to kill in Normal or Hard Mode are:

Brigand (desert)
Scorpion
Terrorsaurus
Jackal-men
Ghoul
Uhura
Rakeesh (I think you do fight him on Day 16 for any class?)
Pizza Elemental

My thief has a parry of 0 though, it's the only zero-stat I have. I guess you don't need to max out spell skill levels to 200, or have all spells, but you should have Magic at 200.

So at the end, my character should be:

200 Strength
200 Intelligence
200 Agility
200 Vitality
200 Luck
200 Magic
XXXXX Experience (does it matter?)

Other side:
200 Weapon Use
0 Parry
200 Dodge
200 Stealth
200 Pick Locks
200 Throwing
200 Climbing
200 Communication
??? Honor (does it matter?)

HP: 200/200
SP: 200/200
MP: 200/200
Puzzle: 500/500

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:43 am

Rakeesh is a fighter-only battle in this game, but defeating him is not a criterium to unlocking battle mode. (there's not all that many criteria involved in unlocking it to begin with)

jkryznowski
Peasant Status

#19 Post by jkryznowski » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:05 am

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. The remake is absolutely incredible! Everything I loved about the original coupled with just the right enhancements.

My question is this: I played through the game recently as a Thief-hybrid and finished the game with every stat at 200 except for Honor. I did capture the Blue Frog. Is the fact that my Honor was not at 200 when I finished the only thing that kept me from unlocking Blue Frog Debug Mode? Can anyone confirm with certainty whether or not I have to finish the game with every point possible?

If the Honor stat is all that's keeping me from unlocking this mode, can anyone suggest a way of bolstering my Honor post-caravan? Thanks.

tomasz
Peasant Status

#20 Post by tomasz » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 am

My honour was a little lower after stealing the bird, but something towards the end of the game boosted it a little to prop it back to 200. However, I think if you're trying to build stats in Rasier, you've probably waited too long :)

On the other hand, when I finished my Thief-hybrid character just recently, it seemed I unlocked both modes. I had maxed all my stats to 200 (including magic and all spells), the blue frog in my inventory, and finished with 500 points. Seems like a nice reward for my hard work, well done devs!!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#21 Post by Erpy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:45 am

Don't worry about your honor stat. It won't make a difference.

nic98027
Peasant Status

#22 Post by nic98027 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:30 am

I have beat the game with a perfect score! I am wondering how or on what day I can get this blue frog thing? Is there anyother way to enter the debug mode without the blue frog thing?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#23 Post by Erpy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:06 am

No, the blue frog item is required and at some point in the game you will become unable to obtain it.

Thepal
Knight Status

#24 Post by Thepal » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:34 am

Plus if you try to get it before you can get it, you will no longer be able to get it *nods* I didn't get the the debug mode until the second time I played it because I don't usually get certain items until I (well... my character) know I need them.

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#25 Post by ulmont » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:36 am

Gah. I just finished the game with 200 in every stat and every skill, with the blue frog in my inventory, and did *not* unlock debug mode. I assume this is because my final score was 542 / 550.