How does a magic user fight in the desert?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Iluviel
Peasant Status

How does a magic user fight in the desert?

#1 Post by Iluviel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:12 pm

This question is pretty much important to me, coz now I just keep running away but I guess I can't do that forever can I :| Now every time I tried to "fight", my character used his dagger which is a stupid weapon for a magic user, isn't it? I want to blast my enemies with some spells, but I don't know how :cry Please help and if you can, give some tips and hints how to accumulate some money ;) Thank you!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: How does a magic user fight in the desert?

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:14 pm

The instruction manual that came with the game is your friend. :)

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by JLM5 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:56 pm

I think the battles are really difficult for magic user, although I know how to use spells. The reason is, that I'm out of mana points too soon, and the fighting just with a dagger is not very powerful. For example, the killing of just one desert brigand takes out all my mana points, and they recharge extremely slowly (if I don't have mana pills that (on the other hand) are really expensive). Additionally, it seems that my attack spells don't make any injures for scoripons even when hit (in close combat).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:22 pm

It's possible the scorpion blocks them. If he doesn't, he should certainly take damage.

Mages start out weakest, but magic is easy to raise in the game (especially with magic games) and they become pretty powerful later on.

nuble
Peasant Status

#5 Post by nuble » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:05 am

With 200 in magic and force bolt, a charged force bolt (upgrade gained after winning keapon's game) takes away half a scorpion's health. Seriously, i stopped bothering with my daggers once my magic was high enough.

Upgraded flame dart would do more, being the ultimate offensive spell and all, but my character was a thief so i couldn't try it.

Silas
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Silas » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:39 am

It's tough, but all you have to do is run as far as you can away from the enemy, cast calm, keep hitting the enemy with force bolt or flame dart.

It's also handy to use the training hall trick. Train with Uhura, rest for an hour, repeat. As you get more advanced, you can start combining your spells with attacks (i.e. charge up weapon and then strike, dazzle then strike, damage the enemy with flame dart / force bolt prior to entering combat).

Jnice
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Jnice » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:55 am

Basically what everyone else said. The way I did it was by buying bunch of vigor potions and training with Uhura until I learned the 2 piece combo. Then whenever I was about to enter combat I would cast zap on my dagger incase I had to create some distance, then just forcebolt/flamedart them down. The upgraded versions of those spells makes most enemies laughable, even the dreaded terrorsaurus is a cakewalk.