I can't find my export file . . .

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

CGG
Royal Servant Status

I can't find my export file . . .

#1 Post by CGG » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:51 pm

This is sort of silly because i know I've only scratched the surface of the new qgIIvga and I'm not going to move on to Wages of War for a while (gosh i HATE that game - i just want to go through all the games with the same char for once). However, I wanted to see how my Paladin will import into qg3 (since he's a paladin - i really didn't get to do a lot of the "fun" things - hehe) and i don't even see the .sav file!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: I can't find my export file . . .

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:54 pm

It should be in the game folder.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by CGG » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Erpy wrote:It should be in the game folder.

I know - its not =/

I am looking in c:\program files\agd interactive\quest for glory II.

I am running vista if that makes a difference. the only .SAV file there is the one i moved in after completining qg1VGA, and i named it a different name at the end of qg2

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Did you receive a text message confirming that the .sav file had been saved to your directory?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:38 pm

And it exported succesfully according to the game? Maybe a permission issue where Vista disallows the game from writing the file? I've never heard this issue before.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by CGG » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:07 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Did you receive a text message confirming that the .sav file had been saved to your directory?
weird - i do get a message and when i try again it says it exists - so it must be somewhere . . .

I hope i can find it - i don't know how many times i can sit through the ending ceremony again!

henmillersa
Peasant Status

#7 Post by henmillersa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 pm

I had this problem as well. To find the file you need to open up the Quest for Glory II directory. Once that is done, if you look under the search bar there is a button that says "Compatibility Files" that is next to the Burn Button. If you click on it you should be able to see the import file. If that doesn't work, try an advance search that includes all hidden folders. Hope this helps.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:42 pm

Perhaps in your Windows settings you have the extensions of certain file types turned off. I'm not sure how you'd check in Vista, but in XP, you open Explorer, then go to the 'Tools>Folder Options' menu and then click the "File Types" tab. Find the SAV extension, click on 'Advanced' and make sure 'Always Show Extension' is checked.

Maybe your system even treats files with the .sav extension as system files and hides them by default. You can go to 'Tools>Folder Options' menu and then click the "View" tab. Navigate to 'Files and Folders>Hidden files and folders' and click 'Show hidden files and folders'

Might work. It's worth a try, at least.

CGG
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by CGG » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:57 pm

henmillersa wrote:I had this problem as well. To find the file you need to open up the Quest for Glory II directory. Once that is done, if you look under the search bar there is a button that says "Compatibility Files" that is next to the Burn Button. If you click on it you should be able to see the import file. If that doesn't work, try an advance search that includes all hidden folders. Hope this helps.
Thanks! That did the trick! I figured vista must have been hiding them when i went to import my mage character from qg1 and qg2vga listed my recent files (even though it won't let you import one of course). I was thinking it wouldn't be hidden because my .sav file for my first import is visible, but maybe because i physically placed it there myself, it wouldn't hide it.

Thanks again. now to see if this works before i play through it a couple more times . . . thives have more fun anyway (X-ray 8o )

twistedoldloony
Peasant Status

#10 Post by twistedoldloony » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:29 am

Yes thanks a bunch henmillersa, as soon as I did what you said about the "compatibility button" it worked like a charm. I didn't even know about that button, but then this Vista system is only a few months old so I don't know everything there is to know.

Thanks again. Now I can play my guy all the way through!

-twist

papste
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by papste » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:11 am

If you are using any version of Windows other than Vista you will find the export file and the savegames in the game directory which should be:
C:\Program Files\AGD Interactive\Quest for Glory II

If you are using Windows Vista you will find it either in the game directory or the virtual store:
C:\Program Files\AGD Interactive\Quest for Glory II
or
C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\AGD Interactive\Quest for Glory II
where %USER% is your username

Or like henmillersa already mentioned clicking the compatibility files button will also do the trick and show the files that are actually located in the virtual store.