SPOILER: Unlock Blue Frog "Cheat" Mode and Battle Mode

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

darkforge
Peasant Status

SPOILER: Unlock Blue Frog "Cheat" Mode and Battle Mode

#1 Post by darkforge » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:39 am

It seems like there's still a lot of misinformation floating around these forums about how to unlock Blue Frog Mode and Battle Mode. Here's the definitive answer.

http://darkforge.blogspot.com/2008/11/s ... e-and.html

WHAT IS BLUE FROG MODE?

The original Sierra "Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire" EGA game had a "cheat" mode. If you typed "suck blue frog," you could use secret key codes to give you unlimited money, raise your stats, create any item, teleport to any room in the game, etc. Officially it's a debug mode, used by developers to test the game without playing through the entire game. Unofficially, most people use it to cheat.

The VGA remake for Quest for Glory 2 has a similar "debug" / "cheat" mode called "Blue Frog Mode." Finding it is hard, but unlocking it is easy.

UNLOCKING THE EASY WAY

Just download this file http://www.theblackforge.net/qfg2/Qfg2vga.025 (also attached to this post) and put it in your "Quest for Glory II" installation directory, which is probably in "C:\Program Files\AGD Interactive\Quest for Glory II." You'll need to replace the Qfg2vga.025 file that already exists in that directory.

Then just start the game from the beginning (or import a character from the previous game, "Quest for Glory I" aka Qfg1 aka "Hero's Quest"). Press F10 to activate Blue Frog Mode.

UNLOCKING THE NORMAL WAY

It's a little more work to unlock Blue Frog Mode yourself without "cheating." You have to find and capture the blue frog, and beat the game with maximum puzzle points.

First, you'll need the bellows from Issur, the weaponsmaster. Go to the Dervish; there's a lilypad in Dervish's oasis. Repeatedly exit/enter the oasis. Every time you enter the oasis there's a small chance that a tiny blue frog will be sitting on the lilypad. Use the bellows on the frog; you'll take the frog and keep it in your inventory.

Note that the bellows must be empty to find and capture the blue frog. Later in the game you have to use the bellows to capture the Air Elemental; once you've captured the Air Elemental, you can't get the blue frog.

Once you have the blue frog, you must finish the game with maximum puzzle points to unlock Blue Frog Mode. For non-Paladins, you need 500 puzzle points out of a maximum of 500; for Paladins, you need 550 puzzle points out of a maximum of 550. (If you're short a few Paladin points at the end of the game, you can choose to "decline" becoming a Paladin to lower the maximum to 500 points.)

Note that some people in this forum have suggested that you also need to max out all of your character statistics (strength, agility, etc. need to be 200) to unlock Blue Frog Mode. You definitely do not need max stats. I was able to unlock Blue Frog Mode as a Thief imported from Qfg1 with Communications of 185 and Honor of 112. Admittedly, all of my other stats were at 200, so there may be some requirement around stats, but I doubt it.

Instructions on how to get the bellows and find the Dervish are available in CyricZ's excellent GameFAQs walkthrough for the VGA remake; no doubt it will be updated soon to include information on how to unlock Blue Frog Mode. http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin ... 2659/53981

If you're having trouble finishing the game with maximum puzzle points, CyricZ also includes a "Point List" in section 10C, which lists all of the possible ways to earn points. In some cases, you may need to restore your game or even start your game over from scratch to get maximum points.

BATTLE MODE

There is a second "debug" mode available called "Battle Mode." Battle Mode and Blue Frog Mode must be unlocked separately.

Battle Mode has five features:
  • Combat Tests: Battle any specific monster in "test" mode. In test mode, you won't die if you lose, but you also won't gain stats during the fight. (Not that you care because you've also got Blue Frog Mode, right?)
  • Damage Meter: See the exact amount of damage dealt in combat.
  • Summon Monsters: In the desert, cause a specific monster to appear.
  • Enable/Disable Random Encounters in the desert.
  • Set Battle Speed: Press Ctrl-Z during combat to slow down or speed up the fight.
  • Enable/Disable Auto-Critical Mode: All of your attacks become critical hits.
The easy way to unlock Battle Mode is to install this Qfg2vga.026 file in your Qfg2 installation directory. http://www.theblackforge.net/qfg2/Qfg2vga.026 (also attached to this post)

The hard way to unlock Battle Mode is to find, defeat and capture the secret Pizza Elemental, then beat the game with maximum puzzle points.

To capture the Pizza Elemental, you'll need an empty pizza box. You can find one outside the entrance to the Eternal Order of Fighters. In the simplified street system it's at the end of Saif Darb; in the classic street system it's at the end of Askari Darb, which branches off of Saif Darb.

You can't find the Pizza Elemental until after you've defeated the Fire Elemental, on Day 5 or later. When you're ready, go four (4) screens South of Shapier, then about forty (40) screens West. Eventually you'll find the Pizza Elemental.

Defeating the Pizza Elemental is a lot of work, even at the easiest combat difficulty setting. I recommend unlocking Blue Frog Mode first, and using it to raise your Luck, Dodge and Weapon Use skill to 250 before challenging him. (You can raise your other stats to 250 as well, but if you start the fight with more than 200 HP or 200 SP, you'll be reduced to 200 HP/SP at the start of the fight.)

CyricZ's walkthrough includes some tips on how to defeat the Pizza Elemental. http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin ... 2659/53981
There's also a YouTube clip demonstrating how to fight him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKuyj_jfc60

Basically, you have to step back and duck a lot (avoid jumping, it wastes stamina). Be sure to attack the elemental when he eats you or tries to eat a pizza. Eventually you'll run out of stamina; just patiently dodge the falling pizzas to recover stamina until you're ready to fight again. It requires quick reflexes and a lot of patience.

Once you've beaten the Pizza Elemental, use your pizza box to capture him. Then beat the game with maximum puzzle points (again, maximum stats are not required) to unlock Battle Mode.

Despite what you may have read elsewhere, you do not have to defeat Sweeping Sir James to unlock Battle Mode, or get a perfect score in the Warrior's Diary. (See CyricZ's walkthrough for details on these optional missions.)
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Matt620
Peasant Status

Re: SPOILER: Unlock Blue Frog "Cheat" Mode and Battle Mode

#2 Post by Matt620 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:36 pm

I had a question about the numbers thing. I can see in it there that you can get the Pizza Box. However, is there a way to get the Pizza Box with the Pizza Elemental inside?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:43 am

The empty and filled pizza box are the same item. The only difference is that when it's filled, there's some global ints that have a different value. You can't unlock battle mode by messing with blue frog mode, btw. You have to defeat Pizza Head the manual way.

QuestforMore
Peasant Status

#4 Post by QuestforMore » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 pm

For version 2.0 I think they are called Qfg2vga.010 and Qfg2vga.011

Does anyone want to upload the new versions of these files? If it is too soon to have them on the forum, to my box then?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:04 pm

You can just rename the old files to the new extensions. It'll still work. The files themselves just have new names.

Rastlin
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Rastlin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Question?

I am a Wizard on Day 12 and have tried over 100 times to defeat the dreaded Pizza Elemental; however I think my stats are way to low. If I download blue frog and battle mode will I lose my current playing Character's information? I am determined to defeat the pizza elemental but with my stats it feels highly impossible. Thank you.

rastlin the Wizard.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#7 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:11 am

You can download the files, but you won't be able to use the cheat modes until you start a new game or import a new character. That said, the pizza elemental fight resets any hp/sp/mp settings over 200, so cheating won't help you beat it and it's possible to get your stats to 200 the legitimate way.

Syndicate
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Syndicate » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:25 pm

the download link does not function at all for me, tried at home and at work.
any ideas?
I've gone through the game several times and debug has not opened, and tried all the various methods/ways of beating it. please lmk

Mordaine
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Mordaine » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 pm

I also wish the files were still available. the blue frog was simple to get, but I fear I'll never experience the other mode without a little cheating. The Pizza Elemental is really tough!

fritzliatze
Peasant Status

#10 Post by fritzliatze » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Sorry, I don't get it:

downloaded and put in game Qfg2vga.025 (there was no previous file with same name, just Qfg2vga.001 to 009)
pressing F10 nothing happens.
have v.2.0 (says readme), v. 3.2.0.1110 (Qfg2vga.exe)

How to let the blue frog jump ?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:11 pm

In version 2.0, the files got different extensions. They should be .010 and .011.

oversight1979
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by oversight1979 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 am

Same thing for me too. When I press "F10" nothing happens either and that after I added to new files to the game.

Spencinator
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Spencinator » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:27 am

Not to Necro a possibly dead thread, but I wanted to clarify what Erpy meant. To enable Blue Frog Mode with files attached, simply edit their file names so that the values .025 and .026 read as .010 and .011, respectively. After that, Blue Frog Mode and Battle Mode should be available to you. Hope that helps! :)

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by Markus Ramikin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 am

I wonder how this works with reinstalls. Let's say I unlocked Battle Mode with Character1, then I play the game again with Character2, who can use Battle Mode. Now suppose some time in the future I do a system reinstall, but keep game saves. Once I install the game anew, will Character2 still be able to use Battle Mode?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#15 Post by DrJones » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:39 pm

No. When you unlock battle mde (or blue frog mode), the game creates a special file in the game folder. Unless you keep that file alongside with your game saves, you will probably lose it when you uninstall the game (unless the uninstall program specifically chooses not to erase these special files, which I don't think it does).

kart
Peasant Status

#16 Post by kart » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi, I can seem to access the website where I can download the blue frog mode.
Can anyone post and upload the file please?

Thanks

SilverZero
Peasant Status

#17 Post by SilverZero » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 am

I know this is an OLD thread, but is it possible to enable the BF cheat on a Mac? Using the latest versions, and I can't seem to get it to work.

EDIT: Whoops, I just realized I have to start a new character for this to work. Got it now!

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#18 Post by bugmenot » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:09 am

Here is the only source online with the files (for v2):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... ktjci05LVk
Qfg2vga.010 does a frog sound when you start the game.
Qfg2vga.011 does a sword sound when you start the game.

Also, is there any source online for items.txt and rooms.txt? Blue Frog's Add Inventory Item and Jump to Room functions are quite unusable without them.
Well ,they ended up being built from scratch in The Cutting Room Floor Wiki and I hope they'll remain there for others to complete.
Last edited by bugmenot on Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bartmagi
Peasant Status

#19 Post by bartmagi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 am

Ok, something is wrong. How big are the files Qfg2vga.010 and 011? I tried to download the and made sure there in the right directory, but nothing happens when i hit F10. also no frog sound and if I type suck blue frog, I get fussed at. Help

bartmagi
Peasant Status

#20 Post by bartmagi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:54 pm

ok, somethings wrong, I saved the files Qfg2vga.010 and .011 and I hear the frog sound when I start the game, but when I press F10 nothing happens.
I also tried to type suck blue frog, but nothing. If I type it with the mouth I get fussed at. How big are those files, am I missing something? Mine say the files are 1k, which is a lot smaller than the other files in the directory( .000 to .009). Help

bartmagi
Peasant Status

#21 Post by bartmagi » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:59 pm

I'm sorry it must have been a id 10 t error, you know idiot. lol it works fine thank you.

Iceberg
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Iceberg » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 pm

Hmmm...F10 does nothing for me either, and I've got the files installed (and hear the frog and blade sounds on startup)...what could I be doing wrong?

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by bugmenot » Sat May 08, 2021 8:16 am

Iceberg wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 pm Hmmm...F10 does nothing for me either, and I've got the files installed (and hear the frog and blade sounds on startup)...what could I be doing wrong?
Are you sure you run the game's version 2?

Alternatively, you can run it through ScummVM now including cheats. See here.