Quest for Glory 2: Speed Slow

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bliznik
Peasant Status

Quest for Glory 2: Speed Slow

#1 Post by bliznik » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:25 am

Installed the new 2011 version of QF2, and it is painfully slow.

It feels like I've got the speed set to normal or slow. I've tried many different things. Running other programs in the background, using my motherboard graphics card instead of my NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, praying to Vishnu...nothing is effective. Does anyone have any other possible solutions?

adeyke

Re: Quest for Glory 2: Speed Slow

#2 Post by adeyke » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:36 pm

If I remember right, the problem has to do with a multi-processor system (which are more ubiquitous now than when the remake was first released), with the workaround being to tell the system to run it on only one CPU, but I haven't gotten that to work in Windows 10. For me, the normal gameplay is just unpleasantly slow, but the combat slows to an unplayable crawl.

bliznik
Peasant Status

#3 Post by bliznik » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:26 pm

If I remember right, the problem has to do with a multi-processor system (which are more ubiquitous now than when the remake was first released), with the workaround being to tell the system to run it on only one CPU, but I haven't gotten that to work in Windows 10. For me, the normal gameplay is just unpleasantly slow, but the combat slows to an unplayable crawl.
Hmm, it's probably something else, since I downloaded imagecfg (https://robpol86.com/imagecfg.html) to alter my Qfg2vga.exe file to only use one processor, and I still have the same performance issues.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:42 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas.

It's sad, really. Thanks to DOSBox and SCUMMVM, the original games can run fine on a modern system, but the remakes have these issues.

bliznik
Peasant Status

#5 Post by bliznik » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:19 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas.
So, I figured out something on a lark. I have an email program that runs in the background, and sends an audio ping notification when I get an email. I was playing the game, heard the audio ping notification, and all of a sudden the speed was normal! Not sure why. I'm guessing that there's some sort of semaphore or thread handling issue that is "freed" when I receive the email notification.

So, now, in order to play the game at normal speeds, I need to first execute the game with the email program running in the background, then I can send myself an email, and the speed will be fine.

Very, very weird.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by bugmenot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:21 pm

You might want to try running the game via the external engine's latest acwin.exe (see this). Who knows, maybe it'll help you...
Last edited by bugmenot on Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bliznik
Peasant Status

#7 Post by bliznik » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:09 pm

You might want to try running the game via the external engine's latest acwin.exe (see this). Who knows, maybe it'll help you...
EUREKA, THAT WORKED!!!

OK, so for future QFG players, here's the skinny:

The executable, Qfg2vga.exe is an older version of the executable that AGS provides. It's version 3.2. The most recent version is version 3.5.

The "safest" way to obtain this executable is to get it straight from AGS. Just install AGS on your computer, and then go into your installation directory and look for the file acwin.exe. Copy that into your QFG2 directory, and rename it to Qfg2vga.exe. (I would first make a backup of the original Qfg2vga.exe just in case) Renaming is not necessary, but I prefer to do it so that I can use the QfgLauncher.exe to play with graphics settings. (I personally prefer to use a Software Renderer with the "max round multiplier" fullscreen scale and the hqx (High Quality) scaling method) If it's too slow, you can decrease the resolution to speed things up. But on my computer it's already wicked fast. So fast that I'm a bit worried about how difficult the Pizza Elemental is going to be (I wish lowering the global speed would also lower the combat speed...on some systems the combat speed is ridiculously fast!!!).

As noted in the previous link, Blue Frog mode doesn't work using this executable, nor does loading previous savegames. So, you gain speed but lose the ability to cheat upon subsequent replays.

Thanks for the advice bugmenot!

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by bugmenot » Sat May 08, 2021 8:18 am

bliznik wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:09 pm Just install AGS on your computer
No need. You can just download the portable version and take the EXE file right from there, that's all you need.

Also, this game is now runnable right from ScummVM so you might want to go that way. See here.