Do any other girls like the QFG games?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Bridget
Peasant Status

Re: Do any other girls like the QFG games?

#26 Post by Bridget » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:10 am

There are no girls on the internet anyway, what was I thinking? :p

You can call me Brian if it makes you more comfortable :rollin

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#27 Post by Gronagor » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:35 am

Erpy wrote:ESPECIALLY the ones who advertise their gender in their usernames. :lol

I said I'm not gonna talk about it! :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Brainiac » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:50 pm

Lady Pyro wrote:Oh no, they're on to me-...I mean...Don't be so silly! You wont find any Y chromosomes in me, no sir! :lol
As the resident geneticist, I must say that it is possible, just intensely unlikely.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#29 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:22 pm

I didn't know that could happen!
But I suppose that's why I huddle over drawing tables and comic books rather then microscopes and science texts. Wait! No! I mean that I like makeup and uhh...shoes? Also romantic comedies with no explosions and things that are pretty rather then fun. I also regularly engage in other female stereotypes I can't think of right now :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#30 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:51 am

Lady Pyro wrote:I didn't know that could happen!
But I suppose that's why I huddle over drawing tables and comic books rather then microscopes and science texts. Wait! No! I mean that I like makeup and uhh...shoes? Also romantic comedies with no explosions and things that are pretty rather then fun. I also regularly engage in other female stereotypes I can't think of right now :p
ME TOO! I'm 15, female and from Cali. NOW WHO WANTS TO CYBER!?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#31 Post by Gronagor » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Lady Pyro wrote:... huddle over drawing tables and comic books rather then microscopes and science texts...
LOL! Funny thing is, most of those things seems to attract more girls than boys, so don't be worried. :)
(As someone who's parents work(ed) in the medical and microbiology field... academic wise... and working as a researcher in the medical field myself, I can tell you I feel quite a bit threatened nowadays... but I like the view! *urghm*)

LauraMW
Peasant Status

#32 Post by LauraMW » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm a girl! I wouldn't say that I'm terribly atypical though...I don't really get "guy" games, I mostly think they are boring unless there's a good story in there somewhere. Even then, I would prefer to just watch my friends play because I'm not that great at them. I enjoy story mode on Halo except I tend to get distracted by the cool environment while playing and lose focus on shooting the bad guys.

I pretty much only LOVE adventure games, puzzle games and RPGs (well, the ones without excessive BS), which is fairly girly of me.

Chrismarr
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Chrismarr » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 am

I do...always have. I love a lot of other old games from Sierra and other companies too like the legend of kyrandia series, Zeliard, King's Quest 1-7,(King's Quest 7 was one of the first adventure games I would play over and over and memorize dialog) Old final fantasy, chrono trigger, Another world, earthbound, secret of mana, secret of evermore, leisure suit larry, harvest moon(the first one)...So many more that I can't remember but you get the picture. I'm gonna have to dig through the game files on my computer...

Mitch
Peasant Status

#34 Post by Mitch » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:49 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:
Lady Pyro wrote:I didn't know that could happen!
ME TOO! I'm 15, female and from Cali. NOW WHO WANTS TO CYBER!?
Oh oh I do!!

Will it be like going into cyberspace like in Tron? :D

(I just had to make a Tron joke >D)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#35 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:40 pm

Of all the reactions I could have gotten I'm glad that's the one I got.

Paviel
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Paviel » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 pm

As the resident geneticist, I must say that it is possible, just intensely unlikely.
Intensely unlikely? I didn't think it was that uncommon for women to be pregnant with boys, and boys have Y chromosomes... Sure, it's only until the boy is born, but I'm pretty sure that blood (and chromosomes) are shared until then.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#37 Post by Brainiac » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Paviel wrote:I didn't think it was that uncommon for women to be pregnant with boys, and boys have Y chromosomes... Sure, it's only until the boy is born, but I'm pretty sure that blood (and chromosomes) are shared until then.
Nope. Not even close. An individual's genetic material is not exchanged through the placental membranes; your genes are you own once the material from both parents combines. Neither is blood; there is a filtration passage of certain biological components across the membrane but blood cannot pass through. After all, if a father is Type A and a mother is Type B, the child could be Type AB and thus the child's blood would kill the mother.

What I was referring to was the possibility that the Y chromosome, in whole or in part, can recombine with the X chromosome and thus leave a trace in a genetic and physiological female. Without the key gene structure (SRY) that determines masculine development, an individual that is genetically male can develop as a female (and vice versa should SRY be recombined into an X chromosome). However, the likelihood of any of this occuring in nature is sustantially reduced as approximately 95% of the Y chromosome has been rendered incapable of recombination. Basically, a few small regions near the end of a Y chromosome are capable of recombining with an X chromosome but they are far away from any of the sex-determining regions. It is thus possible for a daughter to have some recombined Y chromosome DNA from their father, but not really anything deterministic for their physiological development. There are possible physical errors that can occur during meiosis (cell division producing reproductive material called gametes) that can result in the possibility of XX males of XY females (the latter is known as Swyer syndrome) but these are rare and often come with a whole host of other problems.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#38 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:22 pm

I love the taste of jargon in the morning

SelfRescuingPrincess
Peasant Status

#39 Post by SelfRescuingPrincess » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Like is an understatement. :-) I've been playing these games since I was 8 years old and sick of only watching my dad play them. Trial by Fire is my favorite, closely followed by Shadows of Darkness (even with the bugs, and heck the dreaded Error 52 isn't THAT hard to get around.) I was being very girly and squealing yesterday, though, when I discovered AGDInteractive's remake of QFG2.

I would LOVE to see an updated version of Dragon Fire (then again, the graphics are pretty good for 1998) but sadly it will never happen. If I had the money I'd rehire the entire programming team.

Lira Lindriel
Knight Status

#40 Post by Lira Lindriel » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:50 am

SelfRescuingPrincess wrote:I would LOVE to see an updated version of Dragon Fire (then again, the graphics are pretty good for 1998) but sadly it will never happen. If I had the money I'd rehire the entire programming team.
*sighs* I guess there are many of us who would. ;-)

Another girl here. I've played the originals years ago. And now I decided to make time for enjoying some of the remakes.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

#41 Post by Paladinlover » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:05 am

I think there were always many female gamers in general. I remember back in the mid 90's there was poll taken by a show on video games (I think it was Movies, Games, and Videos, but it could have been the Games, Games, Games spinoff) that showed that around 40% of all gamers were girls, and that this stat has been around for quite some time even before then. The problem is that the media always makes it out to be that gamers are all boys... and even today that most gamers are teens or younger males even though the average age of a gamer is now officially over 30!

My younger sister loved sierra games when we were kids, and so did my brother, however I'm guessing that I'm the only guy in my family that still plays them.
I would LOVE to see an updated version of Dragon Fire (then again, the graphics are pretty good for 1998) but sadly it will never happen. If I had the money I'd rehire the entire programming team..
QFG 5 was intended to be much larger than it was. Punny Bones, for instance, was supposed to make an appearance as he said he would in QFG 4 (if you offer Gnome Ann the Hera Ring, however, she explains that he left because the place was 'deader than Mordavia'), along with other things. It has been so long since the long-since dead subject of the expansion pack was brought up that I forgot what else was supposed to be added to the game.

That being said, the game is over 13 years old, the problem with having a game released that far back is that even if you get together the original programming team, they would most likely have forgotten what they were doing at the time and it would take quite a while to get reorganized.

Till next time stay cool 8))

amallichetta
Peasant Status

#42 Post by amallichetta » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:48 pm

SURE there are girlies who like it!! Me too! I grew up wit these games! I still think they are GREAT! Even after all those years, these are one of the most memorable games ever :D

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#43 Post by RC-Cola » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Can we turn this into a lonely-hearts thread?