To Erpy and other long time Quest for Glory fans.

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jack777
Peasant Status

To Erpy and other long time Quest for Glory fans.

#1 Post by jack777 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:10 am

First of all, I am one of the biggest fans of the Quest for Glory series ever. They are my favorite games of all time! I also wanted to say that the team at AGD Interactive did an incredible job on the remake of Quest for Glory 2!! Thank you very much. I have been coming onto this site for years, but this is the first time I've ever posted a message.

My question is: Does anyone remember, in the old EGA version of Hero's Quest (before they changed the name), that not only were there four legged Cheetaurs, but also two legged ones? I swear I can remember running into them. They were the same as the four legged Cheetaurs except no back legs. Just one pair of arms and legs. Could I have possibly dreamed this up?? Someone out there must know for sure.

Also, I read on another board about a picture of a map that was not used in the VGA version of Quest for Glory 1, possibly having to do with the ending of the EGA version in which the Hero, Kattas, and Abdulla Doo fly out of the valley on the magic carpet (how they could not include this great ending in the VGA version is beyond me). It was somehow discovered in one of the files of the game but never used. Someone had posted the pic a while back on that board, but it's long gone now. Does anyone know where I can see this pic? I was just curious. Thanks for all the help.

Thepal
Knight Status

Re: To Erpy and other long time Quest for Glory fans.

#2 Post by Thepal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:29 am

I don't remember two legged cheetaurs... but it has been like twenty years now.

I think you mean this screen from QfG3:
Attachments

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#3 Post by spacecadet » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:10 am

Thepal wrote:I think you mean this screen from QfG3
No, he didn't mean that. I too remember reading about the thing he mentioned - a VGA version of the background showing the entire Spielburg valley view which appeared at the ending to QFG1EGA when the flying carpet takes off. I too would be interested in seeing the unused VGA version, if such a thing does exist.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:58 am

Regarding two-legged Cheetaurs, I think your memory might be playing tricks on you. Perhaps you're confusing them with Trolls or Saurus Rex's? It seems a lot of people are posting things lately that they thought were in old QFG games that they haven't played for a while. :)

As for the unused Spielburg valley screen from the Quest for Glory I remake, I have attached it below, along with another Spielburg forest screen that was not used in the game. In my opinion, it looks more like a jungle screen from Tarna, but it was packaged in the QFG1VGA source files.
Attachments

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Thepal
Knight Status

#5 Post by Thepal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:23 am

What did you extract the screenshots with? None of my tools open QfG1VGA

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:24 am

SCI Viewer, available here:

http://www.geocities.com/sciviewer

jack777
Peasant Status

#7 Post by jack777 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:50 am

Thank you very much Anonymous Game Creator 2. That's exactly what I was referring to. What a great pic! Maybe that part of the ending was left out due to budget restraints? Too bad. The ending of Quest for Glory 1 VGA was definitely lacking. And I guess I was dreaming about the two-legged Cheetaurs. I've played the EGA version dozens of times over the years since it originally came out, but not the old Hero's Quest version. I thought maybe it might have been in that one. I guess I was dreaming, hehehe. Oh well. Thanks again for the pics, and again, great job on the remake!

NeoSnax90
Peasant Status

#8 Post by NeoSnax90 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:55 am

Cool! I never saw those before. :D

Daniel06
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Daniel06 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:44 am

I used to have the Hero's Quest version on my Amiga (got it when it first came out - its not even advertised as "adventure game of the year" yet). Anyway, the only centaurs I remember from it are the farmer and his daughter in town. Both had four legs.

Hey, another thing. Someone posted a screen cap of thier characters inventory and it had 5 troll beards. As far as I was aware, the only troll in the game was the one you faced if you opened the rock entrance to the brigand lair without saying the password word (Fred I think he was called even). Did the VGA version have roaming trolls, or was his inventory artificially adjusted?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:07 am

He was referring to Cheetaurs, not Centaurs. Cheetaurs were the cat-like quadrupeds from QFG1/Hero's Quest with a human's upper torso, similar to Rakeesh but resembling a Panther, rather than a Lion.

And yes, QFG1 (both EGA and VGA versions) had trolls roaming around the forest at night. I believe they can only be encountered in the southern area of Spielburg forest. If you keep entering/exiting the forest screen to the right of where the Antwerp bounces around, roaming trolls can show up there.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:45 am

Trolls only appeared at night and only after you got past the 1000 experience points. So intially, you wouldn't meet them. Once you got your stats up, they'd start appearing in the forest at night as random encounters. They could appear anywhere where a random monster could be encountered. I do remember that at that point, the fixed brigand encounter east of the Antwerp was replaced by a fixed troll encounter at night. Ouch!

The troll guard in the passageway was far tougher than his cousins in the forest though.

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by arganite » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Erpy wrote:Trolls only appeared at night and only after you got past the 1000 experience points. So intially, you wouldn't meet them. Once you got your stats up, they'd start appearing in the forest at night as random encounters. They could appear anywhere where a random monster could be encountered. I do remember that at that point, the fixed brigand encounter east of the Antwerp was replaced by a fixed troll encounter at night. Ouch!

The troll guard in the passageway was far tougher than his cousins in the forest though.

For some reason, I have always found Troll's easier than Brigands. Must be their shield.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#13 Post by Spikey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Spamming attacks perhaps works better with trolls than with brigands.

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by arganite » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:41 am

Spikey wrote:Spamming attacks perhaps works better with trolls than with brigands.
Perhaps it is also the fact that your Weapon Skill is at a decent level at that stage, which means that it is easier in that regard. Brigand's do become easier as the game goes on.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#15 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:52 am

Spikey wrote:Spamming attacks perhaps works better with trolls than with brigands.
Lol for a minute there I thought you were talking about people on forums.

Ikkyu Sojun
Peasant Status

#16 Post by Ikkyu Sojun » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:40 am

Speaking of remembering strange things from Quest For Glory 1 --- I distinctly remember playing the original EGA version of the game & going into the meeps screen... only the meeps weren't there, although the stones were still there & a griffon appeared at the top of the screen & began to move towards me. In panic I ran out of the screen... but then I thought - "hang on! can I fight this?" but when I went back the meeps were there & I could never seem to find that griffon again...

I'm talking about Quest For Glory 1, by the way - I know there's Merv the Griffon in QFG2....

the griffon was yellow & resembled the griffon in the Adventurer's Guild... but it wasn't just the head - it was a whole griffon...

Has anyone else ever seen this???

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:50 am

Not really. In fact, I don't even recall seeing a gryphon sprite in the game resources of QFG1.

Ikkyu Sojun
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Ikkyu Sojun » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:11 am

Erpy wrote:Not really. In fact, I don't even recall seeing a gryphon sprite in the game resources of QFG1.

Well, I wouldn't despute someone as knowledgeable as you, Erpy... :)

However, just to put my curiosity to rest... is there any way for a source-illiterate person like me to view the game resource sprites of QFG1?