Ran into a couple of game-breaking bugs. Help?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Khalon
Peasant Status

Ran into a couple of game-breaking bugs. Help?

#1 Post by Khalon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:25 am

So for some reason my magic-using thief can't buy levitate.
I figured this wasn't so much a problem - it did mean I couldn't finish WIT and get reversal, but on a QfG marathon, skipping WIT is not the kind of thing that will cause me to bail and ask for help in the middle of only the second game of the series.
Problem is, when I got to the palace, for some reason it gave me the magic user ending instead of the thief ending. Which is impossible without reversal.

Anyone have any tips as to how I can either get it to give me the correct ending or hack in the spell? While I'm cheating anyway, it would be nice if I could pick up levitate too, if we're going that route.

Edit: I note that the thief walkthrough has me throw a knife at the patrolling eunuch instead of just sneaking past like I did in the original. For some reason I only have 1 knife after escaping prison, although I had 10 beforehand, so this is out. Could this be why I'm getting the magic user ending? Or is that an unrelated bug? I guess I could try hex editing that in too.

I have a hex editor, but haven't been able to make much sense of the save game files.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Ran into a couple of game-breaking bugs. Help?

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:52 am

I've never heard about bugs disallowing one from purchasing levitate, provided one has the funds, nor a bug that makes daggers disappear. (unless you threw daggers to practice and didn't pick them up afterwards)

The endgame puts you in the antechamber if you didn't match certain criteria...you needed to have the magic rope with enough charges, stealth skill, throwing skill and about 4 daggers (so you'd have enough projectiles to move the candle AND get rid of Ad Avis in the thief ritual) in order to prevent a dead end.

The antechamber route is NOT impossible without reversal. Just solve it the way your fighter would.

Khalon
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Khalon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:27 am

Yeah, the lack of levitate confused me greatly. It just wasn't available in the store.
I think it's the lack of daggers which is causing the problem then, thanks.
Now that I've had a bit of time to reflect after the initial frustration, I note that I haven't checked how many daggers I have in a while - it is possible they just didn't even import at the start, rather than losing them when my inventory was stripped in the jail. I could have sworn daggers did import up to a certain quantity, like gold, but perhaps not.
I'll reload an earlier game and check if I had the daggers, and if not I'll purchase some and try playing through from an earlier save. Still a little frustrating, but I guess it could be worse.

Thanks for your quick and helpful response. Might sound odd from a longtime lurker and rare poster, but Erpy's as helpful as ever :D

PS in the original, iirc, the number of daggers it took to take down ad avis varied according to how many you had - your last dagger would knock him off, regardless of whether you hit him with three or one. Could be wrong on this one, it's been a while. It was also possible to use dirt to move the candle instead of a dagger - I'm certain on that one.
A neat little princess bride reference occurred if one tried to throw the dirt at Ad Avis :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:05 pm

If you're a thief, you can still get daggers in Raseir. The brigands around the city carry them. (but only if you're a thief and have less than a certain number of them) They ARE meant to import along with the gold. Is it possible you threw them and forgot to pick them up?

And yeah, the Princess Bride message is still in there. And yes, Ad Avis usually falls if you toss your last dagger at him, but the game errs a bit on the side of caution regarding projectiles.