QFG2 VGA exporting wrong character class!

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

mihalis
Peasant Status

QFG2 VGA exporting wrong character class!

#1 Post by mihalis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:44 pm

I just finished the QFG2 VGA remake (which was very nice by the way). My character was imported from QFG1 VGA to QFG2 VGA with no problems. However, when I tried to import it to QFG3, my fighter suddenly became a magic user and lost his sword and shield in exchange for a dagger. All my stats looked the same as they did at the end of QFG2 VGA--I just unwillingly changed class. This is especially bad, since magic is my weak area, and my fighting skills are useless without being able to carry a sword. Any way to fix this? I would even settle for advice on how to edit the export/import file to alter the class. That seems to be the only problem I'm having. Thanks!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: QFG2 VGA exporting wrong character class!

#2 Post by DrJones » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 pm

That looks like a problem with the import function of Quest for Glory III. One wonders why didn't they include a "class" field on the export file. :p

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:45 pm

This is part of the reason QfG3 allows you to choose your starting class. Make sure you select the proper class for your character in case it imports incorrectly. You should also know characters that complete WIT and face Ad Avis the Wizard way almost always import as Wizards (presuming they don't become Paladins).

mihalis
Peasant Status

#4 Post by mihalis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:27 am

I did complete WIT and I used the reversal spell @ Ad Avis, since if I didn't do it, I'd be turned into a Saurus. I kind of wonder if the import issue might be because I had been a thief in QFG1 and when asked what class I wanted at the beginning of QFG2, I chose fighter instead. Maybe it tricked the game somehow and now it doesn't know what I am. I definitely robbed and stole WAY too much to be a Paladin last game...can ya blame me? It's fun!! :lol Anyhow, I figured out a solution in the interim. I printed a copy of my stats, imported my QFG1 character into QFG2 EGA, used the infamous "suck blue frog" code, updated all of my stats to what they were at the end of QFG2 VGA, gave myself the same stuff, and then warped to the end of the game to export the character. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before! I didn't want to "cheat" per se by using a pre-made super-character, but I also didn't want to be a wizard due to a game glitch.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:39 am

As I said, if you finish WIT and don't become a Paladin, you usually are referred to as a Wizard on import into QfG3. But QfG3 also has an import selection option like the QfG2 remake (and QfG4, for that matter) so you could simply reassign your character to whichever class you like in QfG3 and be ready to go. Your solution, though intriguing, should have been completely unnecessary.

And please note, Ad Avis will only use his transformative spell on you if you have Reversal. If you don't, he will not (even if you're a Magic User who didn't complete WIT).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:30 am

Actually, I believe that if you finish QFG2EGA with a fighter who has all spells (including reversal), QFG3 will think he's a wizard too. That's why we believe it's QFG3 that got things wrong.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Brainiac » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Erpy wrote:Actually, I believe that if you finish QFG2EGA with a fighter who has all spells (including reversal), QFG3 will think he's a wizard too. That's why we believe it's QFG3 that got things wrong.
Yep; like I said, QfG3's issues are why the team made the "class selection on import" option. I think QfG4's was kept as a kind of tradition - all QfG5 allows is Paladin conversion.

Jerminator
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Jerminator » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:45 pm

You might try going into your display settings in the control panel, go to advanced tab I think and click on the #2 monitor, then check the box for extending yor windows display to that monitor, Should work.