Possible issues with exported character (QFG2VGA->QFG3)

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jujigatame
Peasant Status

Possible issues with exported character (QFG2VGA->QFG3)

#1 Post by jujigatame » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:21 am

I exported a paladin from QFG2VGA to QFG3 and in the QFG3 intro, when recapping the QFG2 ending, it for some reason decided to play the animations for a magic user instead of a fighter. I thought this was strange, but the importation seemed to work correctly other than that.

Later on in the game, I found myself completely unable to enter the laibon hut after dispelling the leopardwoman. I was unable to give the laibon the bride price and unable to complete the game. I'm wondering, have there been any issues with bugs caused by imported paladins? This was my first attempt at a QFG3 playthrough since I first owned the game about 15 years ago.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Possible issues with exported character (QFG2VGA->QFG3)

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:54 am

I exported a paladin from QFG2VGA to QFG3 and in the QFG3 intro, when recapping the QFG2 ending, it for some reason decided to play the animations for a magic user instead of a fighter. I thought this was strange, but the importation seemed to work correctly other than that.
QFG3's intro uses some wonky criteria to determine the intro scene. Did your character possess the magic skill? If so, that would be an explanation.
Later on in the game, I found myself completely unable to enter the laibon hut after dispelling the leopardwoman. I was unable to give the laibon the bride price and unable to complete the game. I'm wondering, have there been any issues with bugs caused by imported paladins? This was my first attempt at a QFG3 playthrough since I first owned the game about 15 years ago.
I've heard of that issue before, but it doesn't have anything to do with importing. The only difference importing makes is your starting stats/class and the quantity of some items in your inventory. It doesn't affect any variables in QFG3 itself.

jujigatame
Peasant Status

#3 Post by jujigatame » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:51 am

It does look like I have a magic skill of 5 although I have no clue how I got it.

I thought the bug I encountered could be caused by the importation if somehow it couldn't figure out whether I was a paladin or magic user, so maybe it got caught in some unwinnable condition. While this may be unlikely, is there some way I could reduce my magic skill down to 0 using an editor of some sort, in order to test this hypothesis?

Thanks a lot!!

jujigatame
Peasant Status

#4 Post by jujigatame » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:04 am

Ok, forget everything I just said. My imported character didn't have the magic skill, I must have picked it up somewhere along the way in QFG3. When I tried re-importing, it says it's importing as a paladin, but still did the magic user intro. Very strange.

I hope the laibon hut bug is a timer thing. I didn't play through with the timer patches the first time, thinking that I wouldn't need them playing in DOSBox. This time I'll be sure to install them before starting.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:05 am

I think paladins automatically get Magic 5 if they hadn't Magic up to that point. They need to cast those healing powers, you know. :p

jujigatame
Peasant Status

#6 Post by jujigatame » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:08 am

Is it possible that this has absolutely nothing to do with my imported character in particular, and that there's just a general bug that causes all imported paladins to show the magic user intro?