Stamina Drains as Wizard/Stats Sluggishly Improve

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MusicLady1724
Peasant Status

Stamina Drains as Wizard/Stats Sluggishly Improve

#1 Post by MusicLady1724 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm

What's up, fellow players? I'm replaying the ol' remake again. I played QFG1 as a magic user and imported it to the remake. I'm now a Wizard (please hold your applause) in QFG2. I've noticed that for some reason my stamina drains crazy fast in this game. From what I've seen, it happens no matter who/what I'm fighting, and it even happens if I'm just walking around town or the desert. I'm constantly having to stop and rest or sleep the rest of the day to make up for what I've lost because I can't begin to afford the stamina pills it would take to keep up with it. I would just make money fighting, but I can't because I can't keep my stamina up long enough to defeat anyone and build up strength, etc., and in order to keep stamina up I need pills, but I can't afford them because...Well, you see where this becomes a Catch-22. Also, my mana replenishes only a few points at a time when I rest, which I've never had happen before. It takes an entire day or night just to rebuild it enough to actually get some decent practice in, so I'm wasting all of this in-game time sleeping and resting because the my points go up at a snail's pace.

What gives? I've never had this problem while playing the game before. I've tried messing with a bunch of different settings to see if I inadvertently screwed something up to cause this. I've also noticed that it takes forever for my other stats to go up (strength, magic, communication, etc) even though I'm doing everything I can to practice them. I'm currently playing on the easiest difficulty hoping that will help speed things along with building up stats. I'm not sure how well it's working. It seemed to work great for upping my pick-locking skills (yes, I'm playing as a hybrid, which I know a lot of people will decry, but that is a discussion for a different thread). I'm totally lost as to what is causing this or how to fix it. My stats are kind of low for being in the second game, but in the past I have played with stats this low without any stamina-dropping issues or it being nearly impossible to up my stats. Should I just start it over? I'm on Day 5 and just defeated the Fire elemental. So while it would mean replaying a handful of hours, it's not as bad as, say, already being in Raseir and starting over from the beginning. :p Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do you think it might be some kind of bug that requires starting the game over or even reinstalling it? Thanks for any help or advice that you have.

adeyke

Re: Stamina Drains as Wizard/Stats Sluggishly Improve

#2 Post by adeyke » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Could it be that you're overburdened? That will drain your stamina very quickly.

MusicLady1724
Peasant Status

#3 Post by MusicLady1724 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:01 am

Evening, adeyke. Thanks for the suggestion. I double checked just now to be sure; I am not overloaded. I can currently carry 4800 quarks and am carrying only 3567 quarks. That was a good idea, though, since (as you said) stamina will definitely drop pretty quickly if you're overloaded. Even so, I would think that being overloaded wouldn't have any bearing on all my stats being so hard to build up. But maybe it would. I never paid enough attention to it because when I'm overloaded, I immediately do what I have to in order to not be overloaded anymore. :D

Thanks for responding.

Zachski
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Zachski » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:18 am

This might be bit of a silly question but is/was your Hero hungry? Thirsty? Both?

MusicLady1724
Peasant Status

#5 Post by MusicLady1724 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi, Zachski. Definitely not a stupid question; knowing me, the solution could be as simple and obvious as that! As far as I know, he should not be thirsty and/or hungry because I'm always good about getting in at least a couple meals a day and I refill my water skins regularly. I've never gotten one of the notices saying he's hungry or thirsty.

I decided to do some testing. I went back and replayed the first game all the way through and tried to build my stats up as much as possible. Just about everything was at least 80 or higher (most in the 90s) by the end of the game; some things had even maxed out at 100. I started playing the second game (VGA) with this new save game. I've noticed that even with my stats high from the start of the game, I still drain stamina, and it is hard to refill mana and health even with sleeping all night, resting a lot, and making sure I've had enough food and water. My next question is, is this happening because I'm sneaking everywhere to build up the stealth stat? That is the only thing left that I can think of that might be the problem. I am just about maxed out with the stealth stat (I believe I have 30 or less points to go before I'm to 200; same for picking locks). So, when that is maxed out, I am going to stop sneaking period and see if that changes anything. If it doesn't, I'm totally at a loss as to why the game does this for me if it's not just an outright bug or glitch.

Thanks for helping.

adeyke

#6 Post by adeyke » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:03 pm

That's probably it. Sneaking and running drain your stamina.