Why can't I rescue Tanya in QFG IV?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Orchid
Peasant Status

Why can't I rescue Tanya in QFG IV?

#1 Post by Orchid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 pm

I keep having this problem whenever I play QFG IV as a thief or magic user - I can't rescue Tanya. I've only been able to do it as a Paladin.
I have visited her a couple of times, given her the doll, listened to her mother cry in the inn at night, and talked to the gypsies about the Destiny spell, but the dialogue option to tell her about the spell never appears. I just keep getting the same convo where she says "Vana thinks you're nice."

Am I forgetting anything else, or should I be doing these in a certain order?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Why can't I rescue Tanya in QFG IV?

#2 Post by Erpy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:43 pm

As a magic user, I believe you also need to get the Ritual of Release spell from the Faery Queen. Not sure about the thief. Make sure to exhaust all her ask-about options.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Brainiac » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:12 pm

If greensenshi were around, he'd either help you himself or advise you to have a chat with me; I helped him with the same problem (though a fair bit of our back and forth in the General QfG Discussions thread hasn't been fixed post-server move).

In the case of the Wizard, Erpy is correct. You must have spoken with Tatiana and received the Ritual of Release. If you've already seen the sequence where you drink from a magical fountain and pass out, get to the last riddle of the Leshy and the faeries should show up again during the night just south of Erana's Garden. Tatiana will give you the Ritual of Release and you should now be able to bring Tanya to the Staff. One word of advice - if you haven't gotten Frost Bite yet, do that before rescuing Tanya.

In the case of the Thief, I really don't know why you're having trouble. I'm also curious whether or not you've had any problems with a Fighter. As far as I know, except for the Wizard, all you need to trigger the Destiny Spell sequence is hearing about the Destiny Spell from the gypsies and getting Tanya her doll back. You might try listening in on a certain conversation in the Main Hall which the Thief is particularly qualified to eavesdrop upon.

Orchid
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Orchid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks for the help!

Is it possible that I am giving her the doll too soon? Can I learn about the Destiny Spell and then give the doll back to her?