Importing characters from Quest for Glory 1 VGA?

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Boris
Peasant Status

Importing characters from Quest for Glory 1 VGA?

#1 Post by Boris » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 pm

I know this had to've been asked before, but I can't find any mention of it. Is the character import feature only compatible with the original QFG, or is it possible to import from the VGA remake? 'Cuz I've been twiddling around here for a while and the game (QFG 2 VGA, that is) still won't recognize the save games I am copy 'n pasting.

If someone would help me out, I'd be much obliged.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Importing characters from Quest for Glory 1 VGA?

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 pm

The game should be compatible with .sav-files from both versions of QFG1.

Boris
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Boris » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Here's the problem...My games are being saved as 'GLORYSG.001' (001 the number of the save game). When I rename it as .sav, QFG2 reads them (instead of saying that there are no save files in the directory), but when I go a step further it tells me 'I'm terribly sorry, that doesn't seem to be a proper Quest For Glory save file'.

Harumph.

Can ya help me?

ulmont
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by ulmont » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Boris wrote:Here's the problem...My games are being saved as 'GLORYSG.001' (001 the number of the save game). When I rename it as .sav, QFG2 reads them (instead of saying that there are no save files in the directory), but when I go a step further it tells me 'I'm terribly sorry, that doesn't seem to be a proper Quest For Glory save file'
That's a QFG1 save game file, not an exported character. To export, you have to beat QFG1...

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by malekdarshin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:30 pm

Are you using save games from QFG1 or the export file from the end of QFG1? And of course the export file must be placed in the C:\Program Files\AGD Interactive\Quest for Glory II folder.

Edit: You beat me to it. Yeah, you have to beat QFG1 to ge the sav file.
Last edited by malekdarshin on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boris
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Boris » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:31 pm

I just beat the game this morning. I saved in the screen where you're in the Baron's house and all you can do is look at all the different characters and game designers. I saved, then quit. I reckon I should go back and try to do something more there, shouldn't I?

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by malekdarshin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:33 pm

There is more to do. To ge the sav file you have to leave Speilburg with Abdula Doo.

adeyke

#8 Post by adeyke » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 pm

In that screen, just don't move the mouse at all for a while, and the scene will end. Eventually, you'll get the chance to export.

Boris
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Boris » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks allot, will try that!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:02 pm

Yeah, as everyone said, the game will set up the export file for you after the awarding scene. As I mentioned, if you have a specific amount of money you want to come in to Shapeir with, you want to boost your silvers - you start with Gold COins equal to whatever value of silvers you have in QfG1VGA + an extra 220 (gold are irrelevant). Also, you might want to consider bringing a few Undead Unguent into Shapeir if you have gold to get rid of in Spielburg.

Boris
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Boris » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks everyone. Imported my hero and am now 37 points into QFG2. Brilliant decision on the original designer's part not to put the money changer in the same plaza as the inn and merchant. :rolleyes

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Hey, with the simplified alleyway system, you can't say she's extremely hard to find. Besides, Dinarzad has reasons for not liking to set up shop in an open plaza with lots of people around.

NewMythos
Peasant Status

#13 Post by NewMythos » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:00 am

Hi. I've completed the QFG1 remake and taken the export file (which has the name 'glory1.sav' as a default (and yes, it is an export file, not a savegame)), placed it in the QFG2 remake folder and then tried to import.

Sadly, I still get the:
'I'm terribly sorry, that doesn't seem to be a proper Quest For Glory save file'.
message.

Apparently there was a patch to solve this problem in the DOS version of QFG2, but it doesn't help here. Any advice?

Goilveig
Knight Status

#14 Post by Goilveig » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:36 am

Is it a legit character(i.e. you didn't do any of the tricks/cheats to get your stats into the negative, or above 100, or anything bizarre like that)?

By that I mean, is there anything unusual with your character that might bug the importer?

NewMythos
Peasant Status

#15 Post by NewMythos » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:21 am

Nope. My character is legit as far as stats are concerned. I DID use the mushroom trick to get some gold (It's a pain to carry around hundreds of silvers all the time), but that didn't cause any problems with the old version years ago.

njspannaus
Peasant Status

#16 Post by njspannaus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:37 am

this is probably a stupid question--but, is there any way to get the chainmail armor in-game?

I imported my hero as a fighter (albeit him originally being a magic-user/thief hybrid in QfG1ega), and he started with the leather armor in QfG2vga

adeyke

#17 Post by adeyke » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:44 am

If you had chainmail in QfG1, you'll still have it in QfG2. Otherwise, there's no way to get it.

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#18 Post by Schrijvertje » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:12 am

I played a new QfG1-vga game as a fighter, but added magic points and lockpicking to the character. Which was kinda stupid, because a fighter doesn't come equipped with a lockpick. Should've gone for stealth instead. Anyway, I imported the character into QfG2-vga, finally added the extra points for stealth, and when I checked my inventory I suddenly did have a lockpick! Even though I didn't click the option to change character profile - I kept him a fighter. He can do the thief sign as well. Haven't tried the stealth attack yet ... Is this then what they call a hybrid?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#19 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:21 am

In order to get a lock pick as a non-thief class, you must have both stealth and lock picking. I must admit it's kinda stupid not to have a lockpick while you do have the skill, but you can't really do any thieving stuff without stealth anyway, which would make the skill as a whole useless on its own to begin with.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Erpy wrote:In order to get a lock pick as a non-thief class, you must have both stealth and lock picking. I must admit it's kinda stupid not to have a lockpick while you do have the skill, but you can't really do any thieving stuff without stealth anyway, which would make the skill as a whole useless on its own to begin with.
You will be given a lockpick with Stealth and Pick Locks, yes. But you can also carry over any items you purchased in QfG1 and accessing the Thieves' Guild is rather easy even without both Thief Skills. You can buy a lockpick and a toolkit there, both of which will carry over into QfG2, regardless of whether or not you have both stats (I imported a Fighter with Stealth only that kept all Theif gear).
NewMythos wrote:Nope. My character is legit as far as stats are concerned. I DID use the mushroom trick to get some gold (It's a pain to carry around hundreds of silvers all the time), but that didn't cause any problems with the old version years ago.
Gold does not transfer in to either QfG2 from QfG1VGA. All that money is worthless. But I don't see how that would make an import glitch.

NewMythos
Peasant Status

#21 Post by NewMythos » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:45 am

Brainiac wrote:Gold does not transfer in to either QfG2 from QfG1VGA. All that money is worthless. But I don't see how that would make an import glitch.
Exactly. Hence, I'm trying to figure out what DID cause it and how to convince QG2 that my export file is legit.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#22 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:06 am

Can you attach your .sav file here for us to take a look at?

NewMythos
Peasant Status

#23 Post by NewMythos » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:43 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Can you attach your .sav file here for us to take a look at?
What the deuce? I just tried to upload the file, and this thing says that it's empty. That WOULD explain why it's not loading in QG2, but that would mean that my copy of QG1 is defective. I'll fight with my computer for a little bit and see if I can produce an answer.

-To be edited-

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#24 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 am

Someone else had a similar issue with QFG3 not recognizing their QFG2 remake-generated .sav file. A reinstall of QFG3 fixed that up.

By the same token, you might try reinstalling QFG1 to see if that helps.

NewMythos
Peasant Status

#25 Post by NewMythos » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:02 am

Ok. For reasons utterly beyond my comprehension, it works now.

What I did:

1. Confirmed that the .sav file was, in fact, empty, as indicated by the uploader on this forum.
2. Tried exporting the file WITHOUT the .sav extension, despite the fact that this is the default setting. Confirmed that this yielded a file with contents.
3. Because QG2 can't 'see' files without the .sav extension, I renamed the file manually.
4. Stupid thing works now.

I'm sorry for having wasted everyones time, but I honestly can't fathom WHY this method would produce a different result. It DOES seem to be a problem with QG1, but since I've found a solution that works, I'm happier not having to re-install, since it's been at least three months since I've seen my qganth CD.

Thanks all. *Looks sheepish*