Game Speed bug on PC

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

shariqm
Peasant Status

Game Speed bug on PC

#1 Post by shariqm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 am

EDIT = This has been 'partially' fixed. I am runnning Windows 7 and just changed my qfg2vga.exe to run in Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility (note this is NOT the launcher you click on that gives you the option to run game, modify settings, read manual etc.). And since then the speed is much more acceptable.

Hey, I was running the game on about 75% game speed and it was fast enough for me, all movements were great and rather quick. All of a sudden I reload and now the game speed even on max is about half of what the original 75% used to be.

Is this a common bug? How can I fix this?

Thanks, btw great job with this rework!

tomasz
Peasant Status

Re: Game Speed bug on PC

#2 Post by tomasz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:00 am

I've found a neat way to get this working well. It seems to be a problem on SMP systems. When you've launched the game, run task manager and set the process affinity for the main program executable to only run on CPU0.

This helps with the speed issues, there's probably some semaphores gone awry.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Re: Game Speed bug on PC

#3 Post by Markus Ramikin » Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks, Tomasz, that helps.

However, changing it in task manager every time is a pain in the foot. With some help from Uncle Google I solved that problem by creating a batch file, which I happened to name qfg2.bat, to run the game from. It needs to be in the game's folder, and it should contain this:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 Qfg2vga.exe
With that you just need to run qfg2.bat instead of the launcher or the qfg2vga.exe, to run the game on only one CPU core.

PS. Changing to XP compatiblity did nothing further for me :(