This game can now be played right through ScummVM

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

This game can now be played right through ScummVM

#1 Post by bugmenot » Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 am

This game - even its v2 - runs on an outdated AGS engine version.
One way to bypass it is to:
  1. Download the latest portable version from https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk
  2. Take acwin.exe from it and put it in the game's folder
  3. Always use this file to start the game
For the record, this approach didn't support cheats until AGS v3.5.1.

But now there's even a better way:
Just run the game in ScummVM (see ScummVM's news announcement), and it includes the game's cheats!
As of this writing, ScummVM's support for AGS engine games is only in beta, but ScummVM will certainly appreciate your input and any bugs you might encounter in your adventure.
Last edited by bugmenot on Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

Re: This game can now be played right through ScummVM

#2 Post by bugmenot » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Just updating it's no longer in beta - ScummVM now officially supports AGD v2.5+ games like this one (which was built in v3.2)!

johniemi
Peasant Status

#3 Post by johniemi » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:50 am

I'd love to play this game with a larger resolution than the ones in the Settings menu. So want to try with Scummvm.

But how?

I install Scummvm. Open it. Then Add Game. Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\AGD Interactive\Quest for Glory II"

But there is nothing to add there (as in, yes there are loads of GFQ2VGA files in that directory but but Scummvm won't show any thus won't let me add the game to Scummvm).

Help please :)

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:51 pm

The SCUMMVM dialog box is looking for a directory, not any particular file. Just click Choose while you're looking in the QfG2 remake directory.

johniemi
Peasant Status

#5 Post by johniemi » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:41 am

Thanks... that was easy :rollin :rollin :rollin

bliznik
Peasant Status

#6 Post by bliznik » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:14 am

bugmenot wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 pm Just updating it's no longer in beta - ScummVM now officially supports AGD v2.5+ games like this one (which was built in v3.2)!
Just a warning playing this with the Wizard. I just tried playing it, and the game keeps crashing at the end of the Wizard Game with Keapon Laffin. This occurs no matter what graphics or sound settings I use. Darned shame. I was really enjoying the replay.

Playing using the latest version of acwin.exe works great though. Just one note that the "Launcher" won't give you all of the possible configuration options. If you want the full menu of options, you'll need to go into the command prompt and then execute "acwin --setup." Then you'll have two options to start the game, "acwin.exe" with the new executable, and "Qfg2vga.exe," which is the older executable.

bugmenot
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by bugmenot » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:16 pm

At least it's just an optional mini game. Thanks for reporting this at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13335!