Problems with Jackalmen

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bliznik
Peasant Status

Problems with Jackalmen

#1 Post by bliznik » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:13 pm

There are two issues with Jackalmen that I have:

(1) If a Jackalman approaches you from behind or to the side, you have to wait until AFTER they are in position before you can kick them. If you try to kick them right when they land, your character will kick in an opposing direction, leaving you open for a slash.
(2) There are a total of 5 slots for Jackalmen to die in. If two Jackalmen die on the same slot, they are counted as one "body" for looting purposes. So if you fight 5 Jackalmen, and all 5 bodies pile up on one another, you only loot one "body" when you click on the pile of corpses.

Currently, I have two work arounds.
(1) If a Jackalman approaches me from behind or to the side, I HAVE to dodge backwards. I can't attack, and I can't block, or else the Jackalman to the side of me will attack. If the Jackalman approaches me from behind so that I can't dodge backwards, I'll just have to first attack the Jackalman in front of me with a single stab, and hopefully the Jackalman behind me will pause long enough for me to kick him.

(2) Ensure that each Jackalman dies in a different slot. One thing to remember is that if your last attack is a slash ([7] key), the Jackalman will just fall down, but if your last attack is a stab or an overhand slash ([9], [7]-[9], or [7]-[9]-[7]) the Jackalman will fly backwards and THEN die. This is especially important after you've filled up 4 out of the 5 slots, and need to position the last Jackalman death appropriately in order to loot the maximum number of Jackalmen.

Just thought I'd post this here in case anyone else is as frustrated as I was!

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

Re: Problems with Jackalmen

#2 Post by Markus Ramikin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:29 pm

The funny thing is, jackalman-piles counting as one corpse and thus giving less total gold is somehow intended. One of the creators posted about this before. It never quite made sense to me how that's supposed to be a good feature.
Last edited by Markus Ramikin on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Markus Ramikin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:04 am

Also,
bliznik wrote:(1) If a Jackalman approaches you from behind or to the side, you have to wait until AFTER they are in position before you can kick them. If you try to kick them right when they land, your character will kick in an opposing direction, leaving you open for a slash.
Yeah, this is a bit of a problem.

Another problem with Jackalmen: Dazzle doesn't work on them in the combat screen (it does work before the game switches to combat mode). Or at least that's my experience. Or maybe it blinds them, but only for a uselessly-short time? Either way, it's useless in practical terms, meaning Jackalmen are the only enemy against which the Wizard character can't rely chiefly on magic and must lean on weapon and dodging skills.

This, too, would be nice if it were looked at.
If the Jackalman approaches me from behind so that I can't dodge backwards, I'll just have to first attack the Jackalman in front of me with a single stab, and hopefully the Jackalman behind me will pause long enough for me to kick him.
Well not quite, you can dodge sideways to avoid the guy behind you, kick him, then dodge again if need be.
Last edited by Markus Ramikin on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markus Ramikin
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Markus Ramikin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Oh, and speaking of issues with Jackalmen:

The guy on the right is actually hitting me. Though fortunately this one isn't really important as it's only a visual problem, doesn't affect the combat; you can still fight back as usual.