A few Questions about this remake ?

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

A few Questions about this remake ?

#1 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:54 am

Wow another KQ 3 remake. Ok i have a few questions?
1. Does this Remake have a voice pack?
2. Will the clock be at the top of the screen like the original or on the saved,restore screen like infamous adventures remake?
3. Will we be able to actually make the spells? ( i hope so i liked making them in the original)
4. I also noticed in the history topic that it is not exactly a 1 on 1 remake so i am wondering do we still have timing system?
5. Any puzzles taking from Radiants remake that was never finished ?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

Re: A few Questions about this remake ?

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:21 am

cyberdalekyeti wrote:1. Does this Remake have a voice pack?
Yes, it has a fully featured voice pack! John Bell has returned as the narrator. There are also several other surprises with the voice pack, but you'll have to wait to hear those! :)
cyberdalekyeti wrote:2. Will the clock be at the top of the screen like the original or on the saved,restore screen like infamous adventures remake?
The clock is in the top center like in the original. It works a bit differently though. That is a surprise for release day though. :) And to be honest, I haven't played the IA remake. I didn't want to accidentally borrow any ideas from them. Now that our game is done, I plan on downloading and giving theirs a play. It looks really good and I've heard great things.
cyberdalekyeti wrote:3. Will we be able to actually make the spells? ( i hope so i liked making them in the original)
Yes. There is a process to making the spells. It isn't exactly the same as the original though.
cyberdalekyeti wrote:4. I also noticed in the history topic that it is not exactly a 1 on 1 remake so i am wondering do we still have timing system?
Yes. There is still a timing system. That is a central part to King's Quest III. It wouldn't be the same without it.
cyberdalekyeti wrote:5. Any puzzles taking from Radiants remake that was never finished ?
Radiant actually did join the team and do some programming for us. By the time he joined, we pretty much had the plot and puzzles ironed out though, so I'm not sure any of his puzzles made it in. He is a talented programmer though.

Enchantermon
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Enchantermon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:42 am

I know it's way too much to hope that you guys somehow got Robbie Benson to voice Alexander. However (and if you don't want to answer this, I understand), I was wondering if you were able to get Josh Mandel to reprise his role as Graham for the end, since he's been willing to work with you guys before.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#4 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:08 am

We did attempt to contact Robbie Benson. However, we were unable to secure his services. The part of Alexander is played by a professional actor though. He's done a great job and I can't wait for you all to enjoy his voice!

Like I said, there are several surprises with the voice pack, including some names that you all will recognize!

I'd better stop before I say too much!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 am

Josh is in there as the voice of Graham. Unfortunately, we couldn't get Robbie Benson (we tried), but we've cast another Hollywood-based actor who is more age appropriate, and therefore better suited in the role of a young Gwydion. ;)

--EDIT--

You're too quick for me, Sean. :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 am

5. Any puzzles taking from Radiants remake that was never finished ?
Not as far as I know. As Sean stated Radiant did help us out with some of the programming duties, but by the time he joined the design stuff was already set in stone and we didn't want to throw the existing content into the trash.

Enchantermon
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Enchantermon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Josh is in there as the voice of Graham.
Awesome! :)

It's unfortunate that you couldn't get Benson; it would have been incredibly cool. But, ah well; at least you tried. I look forward to hearing the new guy. :)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:58 pm

We contacted Robbie Benson directly where he teaches/taught at Tisch School of the Arts in New York, but he sent the inquiry directly to his agent who we had some back and forth communication with. He said something to the effect that actors doing game work make millions of dollars these days, and that his clients should too. It was pretty clear that the agent wasn't really open to finding any kind of middle ground or compromise with such exaggerated comments, so we left it there.

Fortunately, the actor we did get for Gwydion more than holds his own ground. For a start, he's in his early 20's, closer to the actual age of the character in the game (Robbie Benson is around 50 now). We were quite lucky to receive the benefit of a professional Hollywood TV actor who played a main role in a television series that ran for 3 years, and who has also appeared in some Disney TV movies. He did a great job at portraying Gwydion's submissive nature with undertones of who the character will become in the future, while emulating Robbie Benson's performance style quite well.

All will be revealed in time!

Lambonius
Knight Status

#9 Post by Lambonius » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:
Fortunately, the actor we did get for Gwydion more than holds his own ground. For a start, he's in his early 20's, closer to the actual age of the character in the game (Robbie Benson is around 50 now). We were quite lucky to receive the benefit of a professional Hollywood TV actor who played a main role in a television series that ran for 3 years, and who has also appeared in some Disney TV movies. He did a great job at portraying Gwydion's submissive nature with undertones of who the character will become in the future, while emulating Robbie Benson's performance style quite well.

All will be revealed in time!
This is very exciting to me. TSL's Alexander voice actor didn't do it for me at all--too different sounding from the way the character had been portrayed in the past--so I'm looking forward to the idea of an actor that stays true to the official characterization of the role. :)

Jonathan
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Jonathan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 am

navynuke04 wrote:
cyberdalekyeti wrote:4. I also noticed in the history topic that it is not exactly a 1 on 1 remake so i am wondering do we still have timing system?
Yes. There is still a timing system. That is a central part to King's Quest III. It wouldn't be the same without it.
In my opinion, the original KQ3 was a pretty good game despite of the timing system.
Personally, I would have enjoyed the game much more without all the stress in the first half of it.
Will you consider adding an optional non-timing feature?

Fender178
Knight Status

#11 Post by Fender178 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:00 pm

It would have been awesome if you guys could have gotten Benson. But since you guys got another actor thats a professional and age appropriate then all is good to me any way.

Also to Navynuke you wont be disappointed with IA's version of KQ3VGA they did an outstanding job and they also have a few surprises that they put into their version of the game which I wont ruin it by mentioning what they are.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#12 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Jonathan wrote:Will you consider adding an optional non-timing feature?
Not at this point in development. The game is essentially complete right now. Adding a feature like that could potentially delay things quite a bit. As I said earlier though, there is a new twist to the clock that should please you. :)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#13 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I never really played the original KQ3 but I can say the timing system in KQ3 Redux isn't stressfull and adds alot of fun to the gameplay.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:19 pm

KQ3 doesn't place you in the shoes of a free-roaming adventurer who can explore the world at his leisure. It places you in the role of a tread-upon slave who's nearing the end of his lifespan and whose only chance of survival is constantly evading his master's attention while crafting a way to deal with his enslaver. Removing that sword of Damocles would kill an important part of the feel that's an important part of KQ3's essence.

cyberdalekyeti
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by cyberdalekyeti » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks for answering my questions.

The number 1 reason i hated the clock on the original game was when you get on the ship after doing everything that is possible which wasn't that much.
In fact the 1st time i played the original version i thought i was missing something so i checked for hints where i finally discovered that you have to just stare at the screen waiting for the clock for 20 minutes before the pirates shout land hold. Then you could continue play. This had to be the worst thing for any adventure game.
At least on the IA version the timer was shorter.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:38 pm

We've taken a few action to streamline gameplay a bit. We've been quite aware of KQ3's shortcomings from the start and we've developed this remake with those in mind.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#17 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 pm

This game definitely is playable without pulling your hair out. It is stressful somewhat, as in enough to keep you on edge which is an integral part of the game. But it isn't so stressful that it's frustrating and annoying like the original. Just wait and see. This is a truly enjoyable game!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#18 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:24 pm

The pirate ship is actually one of my favorite sections of the game now! :)

Jonathan
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Jonathan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'm really looking forward for this one.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#20 Post by pbpb33 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 pm

navynuke04 wrote:We did attempt to contact Robbie Benson. However, we were unable to secure his services. The part of Alexander is played by a professional actor though. He's done a great job and I can't wait for you all to enjoy his voice!
I think he's a great actor, but I'm kind of glad Benson's not doing the younger Alexander's voice. The way Benson voiced his character in KQ6 sounded too much like an East Coast US preppy always giving a speech in this controlled, deliberate kind of way. His style left me a bit cold at times. Whenever I hear his voice in the game, I immediately picture him with his breathy voice declaring something like, "Mother, I intend to go horseback riding tomorrow afternoon. Please ask the attendant to prepare the stables. My, isn't this just the most perfect season for enjoying the countryside while on horseback."

techie775
Knight Status

#21 Post by techie775 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 pm

I heard yesterday you guys were planning this remake for years. If it's anything like KQ1VGA, KQ2VGA and QFG2VGA it should be great! I played IA's remake and really enjoyed their version of it, but seeing AGDI's with the "Father" should be interesting.

I couldn't find it but is Gary Hanos (Mordack's voice in KQ5) going to do Mannanan?

Nice job keeping it secret!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:34 am

His name is Andy Hoyos. And no, he isn't. But we do have an excellent and professional group of voice actors who've contributed.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#23 Post by DrJones » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:06 pm

My name is Carlos Hoyos, and because I'm DrJones, that would make me "Indy" Hoyos. But nobody hires me to do voice work. :lol

techie775
Knight Status

#24 Post by techie775 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 pm

Oh oops. I was trying to quickly remember it and I must have mixed up the name. Thanks for the reply.

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

#25 Post by pbpb33 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 am

(apologies in advance if these topics have already been covered elsewhere)

Have any KQ3 Redux screenshots been officially released, other than the three small ones on the teaser page? Can you tell us whether we are going to get any more sneak peeks or a full game site before the final release, or do we just have to wait and see?

Is there going to be a KQ3 Redux video trailer/teaser on YouTube like you guys did for QFG2? That trailer was pretty awesome.