In Awe of the Greatness of the AGDI team & their newest game

This forum is for discussion about KQIII Redux. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

pbpb33
Defense Minister Status

In Awe of the Greatness of the AGDI team & their newest game

#1 Post by pbpb33 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:53 am

I stayed up late just to be able to download this. I went into it expecting something great from AGDI, and I have to say that it has TOTALLY exceeded my high expectations! You guys are friggin geniuses, seriously. The music is sooo awesome, like it's from some major film, the backgrounds are like these gorgeous works of art, the voices and dialogue and everything is like right on pitch perfect. It looks like you guys totally nailed this. I can't wait to play through the whole thing. I'm completely in awe. :eek

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re: In Awe of the Greatness of the AGDI team & their newest

#2 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Sounds great! I have the installer downloaded to my external hard drive but I won't have time to actually play the game until later tonight.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#3 Post by navynuke04 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it!

ChronoSerge
Peasant Status

#4 Post by ChronoSerge » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:16 pm

I started the game up, but don't have time to play it much this morning. The game is definitely AGDI's best looking game, and that is really saying something. The games presentation is excellent, and I even really like the art for the icons :). Also, the voice acting and music are fantastic. Really looking forward to playing this more later.
Last edited by ChronoSerge on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:39 pm

It's great to hear that the games are entertaining and fun to you guys. It's sometimes difficult to strike the right balance in some areas, as the adventure audience tend to be a very critical/analytical bunch, and often the only way you learn how to do things right, is by doing them wrong first. So I'm happy to hear that our collective experiences from previous games have made KQ3 Redux all the more enjoyable to you as a result. :)

flaminghat
Peasant Status

#6 Post by flaminghat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:37 pm

i too am in awe, and bow before the genius of AGDI! i've actually been a follower for a while, but i kind of wandered off after the HQ2 remake (which was awesome, i just have a short attention span). then, suddenly, out of the blue i get an email about a KQ3 remake. my squeals of glee were hard to contain, as KQ3 had always been my favorite when i was a kid. i suppose the protagonist was easier to relate to, and i grew to enjoy having to time my adventures so as not to be caught by the evil wizard Manannan. my father had a co-worker who handed down his KQ games when he finished them, so i had his notes for certain things, like the time the boat arrives at the port and so forth, and with them i actually finished the game. thinking back, i'm pretty sure that was the first game i ever finished, and it always stuck with me.

so, sorry for straying, and thank you for making what is no doubt an excellent game. i have yet to play it, as i was so excited by the possibility of playing it again essentially for the first time, after all these years, that i immediately registered and jumped on here to express my immense gratitude. well played, AGDI, well played.

Chyron_8472
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Chyron_8472 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 pm

yes, everything is spot on. At first, I thought the blinky eye cursor was creepy but I think I got used to it.

The voice acting of all the characters, even the minor ones, is great. It's fantastic.

The music is also excellent. MusicallyInspired, I see you out there reading this thread. Great job.

Great job, everyone. This game is wonderful.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Hehehe. Remember MI, if you get too big a head you won't be able to wear your headphones anymore. :p

El Ravager
Knight Status

#9 Post by El Ravager » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I haven't had an opportunity to play the game yet, but seeing as how the soundtrack has had rave responses so far, I'd thought I'd ask anyway: is this soundtrack going to be available for download at some point as KQ2's and QFG2's are?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#10 Post by Erpy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I know Musically Inspired is planning to release an OST at some point. The thing is, the master files of the songs you hear in the game were mostly wiped out when MI had a hard drive crash some years ago. He's been working on rerecording several themes. It's not unlikely that, when this OST is actually released, it'll sound different from the samples you hear in the game right now.

El Ravager
Knight Status

#11 Post by El Ravager » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Ah, gotcha. Hard drive crash = t3h sux. At any rate, MI, good luck with the re-recording process if/when you get opportunity for it.

NeonZephyr
Peasant Status

#12 Post by NeonZephyr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm actually in the middle of playing this, just taking a break after feeding Manannan. (His early return freaked me out, as I'd just taken the wand. Glad KQ4 taught me to save excessively.) But, I had to register just to say how much I'm absolutely loving this game so far. I'm actually in the middle of replaying the original series, and III was my last completion, so the changes were not just surprising, but refreshing. As much as I love III, a 1:1 remake would have felt redundant. While Manannan's early (and, perhaps, a couple minutes early even compared to what others here are saying) return gave me quite a jolt, I kind of like the addition. Adds urgency, and really inspires usage of the magic map, which I hardly used during the original. As everyone else has probably said and cheered, the graphics are beautiful and the music is glorious. I love the new puzzles, makes it feel like Gwydion had to overcome even more to earn his freedom.

Anyway, in short, love the game so far, and I congratulate you guys on making one of my personal favourite games fresh and intense all over again. Good luck in your future endeavors, and I personally plan on keeping an eye out for your commercial work. After I take care of Manannan, of course. :)

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, by the way.)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Thank you all for the kinds words regarding the soundtrack. I've been working on it since before it actually became an official AGDI remake (back when it was just Navynuke, MuzlakOofMay, and I) and have spent a lot of time with it over the years since so it's really personal to me. I'm glad to hear that everybody is enjoying it. :)

Regarding an OST, there will indeed be one. Erpy is correct, I lost 75% of my master source files in an inadvertent hard drive wipe. I was trying to reinstall Windows XP and it decided to wipe both my hard drives and install the exact same copy of Windows on both of them....bizarre! I used a recovery program and I recovered a lot of material but most of what I had (everything KQ3 and SQ2 related) was gone. Luckily my wife's photo collection was brought back without incident. All I had left from KQ3, though, was what I had backed up on discs. It was a hard blow and was tough to get over.

The OST that will eventually be available I will call the "King's Quest III Redux OST - Special Edition" which will be almost completely rerecorded from scratch with better samples from sound libraries I've acquired since starting the project over 8 years ago. I'm even throwing around the idea of making it also a downloadable music pack that you can use with the actual game, assuming the timing of certain pieces is the same and doesn't break anything.

So, in short, you can look forward to a downloadable OST that will fit on an audio CD in the future!

schnautzr
Peasant Status

#14 Post by schnautzr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:40 pm

I settled for the popular crummy remake that some other company put out when I played this game a few months ago, and I was tragically disappointed with it in more ways than one.

Can't tell you how excited I am about this one! Hopefully it'll be hard enough I get stuck for ages, just as I'm stuck on the MI2 remake. The best type of adventure game is the type you can get stuck on for days or weeks or months at a time in one spot! :)

Downloading it now...can't wait to try it! :rollin

Xandarius
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by Xandarius » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm highly looking forward to this, Mr. Blume.